Coontree Loop Trail

Coontree Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,020 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 5 - 7 miles to a small picnic grove located on the left hand side of the road just beyond the larger Coontree Picnic Area.

this was an amazing first home for my wife and I, there is quite a bit of erosion making the steep climb steeper, but all in all a great hike. I look forward to exploring further into the Pisgah.

This entire hike is roughly 4 1/2 miles long if you do in the entire loop. It is narrow in spots and then wide in other sections . It seems well-traveled but can be a little bit muddy in areas. You will cross over bridges and over logs so be prepared. The elevation is very gradual and you see many waterfalls along the way. There is parking and bathrooms across the street. Nice hike and good exercise. Not too many people there which was nice and you can just enjoy the peacefulness of the area.

It’s been years since I’ve worn a watch and needless to say I got my direction mixed up and accidentally went clockwise (left at the fork). Kinda glad I did cause I couldn’t imagine going downhill that way with my dog pulling me! Didn’t run into one single person and it was Labor Day weekend! Beautiful hike :)

Great loop, good exercise. We did the loop going right at the Y. Will do again

Enjoyed it. Nice narrow trail through the woods. As indicated before going clockwise is good, climb on a rougher section of the trail and descend on a relatively smooth section.

I took the trail clockwise and I feel that was a better way to hike it. The trail going counter clockwise is a steeper hike than going up to Bennett Gap than the other way. There is a fallen tree blocking the trail that is near Bennett Gap Trail on the way up I took, that takes a little maneuvering to get around.

Yogi and Peter and Molly has a hiking day. It was sunny and pretty and there was good conversation.

This is my favorite trail so far! If you start the trail left side (clockwise) of the loop, you’ll follow the creek up. The creek is so pretty with baby waterfalls. Many, many picture moments. A pretty good workout too! The trail was well maintained and marked well. It’s an actual trail, not a Forest Road. Nothing tricky. At larger creek crossings, large logs are laid with a built in hand rail on one side. During your hike, best to pay attention where you walk. There are tons of tree roots. Have fun!!!

Monday, September 17, 2018

Great 2 hour hike with some pretty serious erosion on the top, ridge section. Still worth doing.

Monday, August 27, 2018

Really enjoyed this short hike. We hiked clockwise and the first half is more vigorous than the second as the inclined are somewhat steep to the (small-ish) outlook then back down to the trail head. Lots of stream crossings and the views you sporadically see through the trees are pretty. We saw a handful of people on our decent but didn’t seem like an over populated trial.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Nice varied terrain. Several river crossings, most with good bridges. Only passed 2 couples, otherwise total solitude. Pretty steep inclines, but doable for me as a 50 year old not in great shape. . Very nice views. Saw one deer.

Friday, October 20, 2017

The Coontree Loop is a great hiking trail that begins on a slight uphill yet gradual becomes more steep lovely babbling brooks run beside the trail for several 100 yards. We took the Bennet Gap trail up to a cleared rock area for beautiful vistas of Looking Glass Rock and then made our way back, downhill and a lot easier than the first half. Great half day hike!

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Pleasant 2 to 3 hour hike in the woods. I hiked it counter clockwise and found the slope of elevation gain moderate. I did not need to stop and catch my breath at anytime but my heart rate was elevated. The trees were bare so I was afforded some decent views along the ridge top which also came with a cool breeze. Decent was not to difficult but there are a lot of bare roots to contend with. Most the creek crossings had primitive bridges and were crossed without difficulty.

Monday, November 14, 2016

The Coontree Loop is a hiking only trail. There is a 1 mile section where the Bennet Gap trail and Coontree run concurrently and this is only section legal for bikes.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Nice walk through the forest, many beautiful wildflowers.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

There's a Coontree picnic area with a large parking area and rest rooms. Cross the road to get to the trail head. I hiked the loop in a clockwise direction, which is what I would recommend. There's a single track that splits off after about a half-mile or so. Go to the left. The upward path is a very nice track, not too difficult. Lots of little stream crossings, some with footbridges. This section is marked no mountain bikes, and it shows...it's very nice. Pretty. When you get to the top of the mountain, turn right onto Bennett Gap Trail. Sadly, the section of this loop is very, very, very badly eroded by mountain bike use. The reason I would recommend going in a clockwise direction is because of this erosion. It's easier to head downhill on the eroded trail than uphill. You'll reach an intersection marked as Coontree Loop, and turn right to go back downhill and home. Even though this trail is marked for hiking only, it also has some significant mountain bike erosion. Not as bad as Bennett Gap. It's a nice loop...easy-to-moderate overall. Frankly, if you're going to do it, I'd take the prettier left-hand trail as an up-and-back rather than do the loop.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

This was always my quick get away hike-it was a good cardio but close to town There are too many people in the summer but in the off season it was perfect for a busy mom. Saw my first bear on this hike.

Friday, August 15, 2014

This shady trail was varied and quite steep with bare tree roots and rocks in many places. The views of Looking Glass Rock were excellent. We did the loop and the extension at the top, which turned out to be rugged with little payoff in scenery. Even in August wildflowers and fungi were plentiful. Several areas showed significant erosion and the trail would be unpleasant and dangerous if wet. We had a refreshing breeze and interesting vegetation to look at. There are 3 creek crossings using logs with handrails. The total loop with the extension was 8.5 miles. There are restrooms at the trailhead, a picnic area, as well as a swimming hole in which to refresh after your hike.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Not sure why this is labeled as a "Mountain Bike Trail". There is no way it would be safe to bike this trail. The sign at the entry of the trail is even marked for hiking only. I don't think my family and I were prepared for this hike considering we had just hiked Moore Cove right before it. Had this been our only hike of the day, I think we would have enjoyed it more. Very narrow trail, but lush and cool with canopied trees. Where the trail forks, we chose to go to the left which takes you up, up and away. But what comes up, must come down and boy does it. Take your time with this one especially if you have kids. My boys are 12 & 8, pretty athletic and didn't struggle too much, but I do not recommend it for kids younger than 8.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pleasant loop with excellent early spring wildflowers particularly along the lower flat section. Moderate, well graded trail. Follows Coontree Creek for a while then climbs to near the top of Coontree Mountain. Intersects with the Bennett Gap Trail at the ridge top.