Coontree Loop Mountain Bike Trail

Coontree Loop Mountain Bike Trail is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 5 - 7 miles to a small picnic grove located on the left hand side of the road just beyond the larger Coontree Picnic Area.

The Coontree Loop is a great hiking trail that begins on a slight uphill yet gradual becomes more steep lovely babbling brooks run beside the trail for several 100 yards. We took the Bennet Gap trail up to a cleared rock area for beautiful vistas of Looking Glass Rock and then made our way back, downhill and a lot easier than the first half. Great half day hike!

Pleasant 2 to 3 hour hike in the woods. I hiked it counter clockwise and found the slope of elevation gain moderate. I did not need to stop and catch my breath at anytime but my heart rate was elevated. The trees were bare so I was afforded some decent views along the ridge top which also came with a cool breeze. Decent was not to difficult but there are a lot of bare roots to contend with. Most the creek crossings had primitive bridges and were crossed without difficulty.

The Coontree Loop is a hiking only trail. There is a 1 mile section where the Bennet Gap trail and Coontree run concurrently and this is only section legal for bikes.

Nice walk through the forest, many beautiful wildflowers.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Saturday, September 19, 2015

There's a Coontree picnic area with a large parking area and rest rooms. Cross the road to get to the trail head.

I hiked the loop in a clockwise direction, which is what I would recommend. There's a single track that splits off after about a half-mile or so. Go to the left. The upward path is a very nice track, not too difficult. Lots of little stream crossings, some with footbridges. This section is marked no mountain bikes, and it shows...it's very nice. Pretty.

When you get to the top of the mountain, turn right onto Bennett Gap Trail. Sadly, the section of this loop is very, very, very badly eroded by mountain bike use. The reason I would recommend going in a clockwise direction is because of this erosion. It's easier to head downhill on the eroded trail than uphill. You'll reach an intersection marked as Coontree Loop, and turn right to go back downhill and home. Even though this trail is marked for hiking only, it also has some significant mountain bike erosion. Not as bad as Bennett Gap.

It's a nice loop...easy-to-moderate overall. Frankly, if you're going to do it, I'd take the prettier left-hand trail as an up-and-back rather than do the loop.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

This was always my quick get away hike-it was a good cardio but close to town There are too many people in the summer but in the off season it was perfect for a busy mom. Saw my first bear on this hike.

Friday, August 15, 2014

This shady trail was varied and quite steep with bare tree roots and rocks in many places. The views of Looking Glass Rock were excellent. We did the loop and the extension at the top, which turned out to be rugged with little payoff in scenery. Even in August wildflowers and fungi were plentiful. Several areas showed significant erosion and the trail would be unpleasant and dangerous if wet. We had a refreshing breeze and interesting vegetation to look at. There are 3 creek crossings using logs with handrails. The total loop with the extension was 8.5 miles. There are restrooms at the trailhead, a picnic area, as well as a swimming hole in which to refresh after your hike.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Not sure why this is labeled as a "Mountain Bike Trail". There is no way it would be safe to bike this trail. The sign at the entry of the trail is even marked for hiking only. I don't think my family and I were prepared for this hike considering we had just hiked Moore Cove right before it. Had this been our only hike of the day, I think we would have enjoyed it more. Very narrow trail, but lush and cool with canopied trees. Where the trail forks, we chose to go to the left which takes you up, up and away. But what comes up, must come down and boy does it. Take your time with this one especially if you have kids. My boys are 12 & 8, pretty athletic and didn't struggle too much, but I do not recommend it for kids younger than 8.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pleasant loop with excellent early spring wildflowers particularly along the lower flat section. Moderate, well graded trail. Follows Coontree Creek for a while then climbs to near the top of Coontree Mountain. Intersects with the Bennett Gap Trail at the ridge top.