Colonel Francis Beatty Park Loop

Colonel Francis Beatty Park Loop is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Charlotte, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 223 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

bridge out

Singletrack loop with little, if any, elevation gain. Mildy technical, but all levels of experience can have a great time. It can be rooty at times, but fun walking or mountain biking at speed. Please note that mountain bikes are not allowed on trails when they are wet.

I am lucky enough to live very close to this trail and get to run it with my master (mom) a lot. It’s especially great in the warm weather since it is mostly shaded. Only problem is mountain bikers can sometimes ride a little fast and don’t always yield to runners/hikers so be careful.

Good work out close to home that is mostly shaded. Trails aren’t marked great so it’s easy to get sidetracked on a smaller loop, but always find my way back to my car using this app. Dog friendly!

It’s s good variety of trail, gravel, rocky, roots, sandy, well paved and shady. The environment is quiet with very low noise from traffic/city. The signs indicating the route is very confusing and it’s easy to get lost, I have to stop severs times to understand where I was which breaks the rhythm of the walk.

It the bike trail closest to me. They have added lots of features recently. Surface is hardpack with sand in some areas. Roots wherever trees are close to the trail but plenty of places to gain and keep speed. There is a black diamond loop with larger features. All features have bypasses. There is one large jump. I hiked it today and that was not near as fun. All the hard pack isn’t all that enjoyable to walk on.

Quite a few muddy spots due to recent rain which is to be expected. Disappointed to see so many bikes out with strict 24hr no bikes after rain policy. Beautiful trail and would like see it stay that way.

Another beautiful night on the trail. Very few bikes and ran into only one other hiker.

Great trail to hit up if you like changing elevation and mild unevenness. Overall, I had a blast but it was a little muddy in places. It rained the morning of my hike which worked out great because bikes are not allowed on the trail when it is wet. I will definitely hike this again.

fun but plenty of roots

Sat Dec 08 2018

Solid trails. They have lots of rocks and roots so be aware as you run. Make sure to follow marked signs (running opposite of the MTB loops) for the safest experience. Everyone I've ever passed/been passed by has been courteous and friendly.

Thu Nov 22 2018

Please follow directional signs. All persons on foot Clockwise only! All dogs on leash only! All bikers counter-clockwise only! If using earbuds please leave one ear open so people can call out as they approach you. Simple rules to keep everyone safe.

Wed Oct 17 2018

Great trail for close in to Charlotte. Did the full 4 miles plus, but can be confusing when you get into the back and forth of the biking trails . There are signs to remind hikers to walk in the opposite direction of bikers, but most ignore. Terrain is all natural and very rooty, but level and fairly easy to navigate. Wish the trails were marked better and more often. Every time we have been we have encountered lost parties and tried to help them find their way.

Tue Oct 09 2018

mountain bikers make it he'll for walkers

Tue Sep 11 2018

Used to be a great trail but with heavy rain this year getting to be too Rooty and Rocky. Be careful and if you have ankle sleeves/support wear it. Also, the trail is really only marked for the sight of mtn. Bikers. If you are running the opposite direction as instructed you can’t see the trail markers because they are on the opposite side of the trees. However, it’s nice because there are so few running trails in Charlotte.

Mon Jul 23 2018

This is a review (for the most part) of the green loop/section only. The green section/loop is the easiest part of this trail and is great for a family ride with kids eight years and older. It’s also the longest section of the trail. This is one of the prettiest trails in the Charlotte MSA in my opinion. My family and I have ridden it at least a hundred times. The lake, ringed with thick forest, is postcard picturesque in the spring, summer, and fall. The trail is shared by both walkers and mountain bikers, although there are more walkers than mountain bikers for the most part. The trail has really nice flow, including some cool bridges and technical areas to ride over, including some fun drop-offs, jumps, balance beams, and shallow burns that prove easy enough for our ten year old to handle. This is, however, a rooty trail, and can be quite jarring at times. But for us, that’s what makes it fun! And last but not least, this trail is very well maintained and well designed in my opinion. Kudus to the Tarheel Trailblazers for doing such a good job. The only concerns I would tell newcomers to be aware of are: 1) This trail is not well marked in certain places, and can be confusing if you are not familiar with it. But as long as you have your smart phone with you, loaded up with a good trail app (like Alltrails) you won’t have any problem. 2) Watch out for copperheads in the fall. During this time of year they come out to sun themselves on the warm dirt trails. They blend in very well with their surroundings and can be hard to see. 3) The black and blue sections of this trail are insainly rooty. Too rooty to make it fun in my opionion. And definatly too rooty to get good flow. But each to his own. Some folks like super rooty tails. Just my opinion that's all.

Wed May 30 2018

I just got back into the saddle for mountain biking so its been a llllllooooonnngg time since I have rode. but I will say that this trail definitely has some challenge. but at the same time it has places for you to catch your breath. I am a fat boy now,,, but as soon as I lose some weight I beleive the trail will be way more enjoyable.

Sat May 05 2018

good trail for beginners looking to build technical skills and fun fast intermediate ride.

Sat Apr 21 2018

Well-maintained trails thanks to volunteers. Little easy to get turned around at the Forks and find yourself making against the flow. Nice mix of cruising trails and some technical pieces.

Sun Apr 08 2018

The path being maintained now is different than the one shown here, so while you can still find the old path, it would be better to attempt to follow a more recent recording. And even then it's so easy to get off track that trail running was ridiculous, always stopping to see if I'm still going the right way.

Tue Apr 03 2018

One of my favorite places to hike in Charlotte. You have to watch out for mountain bikers, but they have signs that encourage the walkers to go one way and then bikers opposite direction so you can see them coming. And if it’s getting too long, lots of switchbacks that you can cut across.

Mon Mar 12 2018

Great trail to run, very technical so be ready for a challenge. Just make sure to run/hike the opposite direction of the bikers and you shouldn't have any issue seeing each other. Taking all of the black diamond bike routes should put out a distance just over 4 miles.

Sun Sep 17 2017

It's a great hike. Very peaceful, but if it wasn't for this AllTrails app I would still be wondering around. The trails are not marked well at all. More than half the time I was trying to figure out which way to go because all of a sudden there would be a split in the trail and I wasn't sure which trail to take. I took the wrong one and ended up lost but found my way to the road which I took back to find my car. The trails need to be clearly marked every 30 or so feet. Both biking and walking trails.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Good 3-4 mile hike! Trails are very confusing at first but definitely a workout!

Sun Aug 20 2017

Trail markers aren't very good and it's easy to get off the trail. Well maintained nice park but there are lots of side trails to get you lost

Sun Aug 06 2017

Surprisingly diverse terrain this close to the city, but be prepared to encounter lots of mountain bikes...nerve-wracking if you are walking with young kids.