Cold Mountain via Art Loeb Trail

Cold Mountain via Art Loeb Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Loved this hike! Did it yesterday 11/3 and the colors were beautiful. It took us about 7 hours to carefully navigate which included a 30 stay at the summit where the views were absolutely stunning. Not an easy hike but well worth the effort.

Great hike, but not for the beginner! Difficult hike, not marked well. Many obstacles to navigate (downed trees, streams, boulders, etc.). Give yourself at least 6 hours. Wonderful views at the summit. Several streams for water, and a spring near the top.

Just stumbled on this site and wanted to relate a story I've had online for some years about a dog who helped me home along this very strenuous, very rewarding trail. 15 years ago we didn't have Internet resources so I picked this particular weekend's adventure not knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. It was quite the adventure and definitely one for the books.

I love this hike! It's not easy at all. I just went yesterday 9/13/17 and if you go soon there are a lot of downed trees and debris from recent storms and the trail was very hard to read in some areas. I don't think this trail is well blazed compared to other trails and this is the first trail I ever got lost on but that didn't happen yesterday thank goodness! The view at the top is so worth the climb but this is not a trail for people who don't hike, who barely hike, or who are remotely out of shape. Oh and it's not 9.9 miles, it's 10.6. Like it matters that close but when the weather changes on you and you are cold, wet, and tired...even an extra tenth of a mile seems like a lifetime!

Great trail. The forest isn't thick and the scenery is beautiful! I was amazed at how big the trees were when you get up in elevation. We got lost and the trip turned into a 16 mile trek, but we were having fun and I don't think many people go down one of the other trails by accident.
We created a new campsite along the trail to make up for the 4 mile gap between camping areas.
I hike a lot and have good stability, but I fell twice on the wet mossy rocks, sucked, but still a great hike!

Fun and very technical trail! Ran it on parts that were runnable and prayed not to fall on the parts that were technical. Lots of beautiful scenery and a lot of wildflowers and berries closer to the summit. Completed in about 5:05

Pretty nice 180-degree scene once you finally reach the end. But if views are your goal, there are nicer views around this region for much less effort. This is a strenuous workout, especially with all the rocks and roots. Some people report completing the out-and-back in 5 hours, but that seems optimistic. Nice patches of flowers throughout. Limited water sources. Lots of bugs at the campsites where the trail to Cold Mtn. splits from Art Loeb.

Just did this a couple weeks ago. Started at the boy scout lodge and took the Art Loeb up to the Cold Mountain Spur Trail. There are a lot of rocks, roots and loose gravel along the trail, so you need to pay attention, it's easy to roll an ankle. There are a couple water sources on the way up, but they look like they'll dry up easy in any kind of drought.
The climb up the spur trail is pretty rugged, with a couple false peaks to get your hopes up, but it's so worth the effort. We recorded it as 10.1 miles out and back, total trail time 5.25 hours plus 30 mins at the summit. Amazing views, and a challenging hike.

love the green vegetation on the trail , backpack this weekend to the top spend the night and headed back . It was a tough climb But worth the views

Good trail, lots of rocks. Several opportunities for a dog to cool off along the way in the crossing creeks.
The view at the top is beautiful but definitely has to be earned first.

One of my favorite hikes on the entire East coast. Coming from the Adirondacks I am use to dense rough forests and jagged trails. Hiking from a forest at this elevation to peaking on top of balds made it especially special. Can't wait to return this summer and make a weekend out of this place.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Great trail, very tough with all the leaves down, makes it very slippery.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Steep, narrow, rocky but worth it

Thursday, October 27, 2016

I'm one that loves to hike strenuous hikes and this hike lived up to my expectations.

The directions to the trail were spot on. The entry to the trail is easy to fine and get started. Be aware that the last mile of the hike is not well maintained and not marked.

The views from the top are worth the time it takes to get to the top.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Cold Mountain is a beast, but worth every tired step. Great views, interesting terrain and rock formations, and a 6K'+ summit. Allow ample time going up. Ramps cover the sides of the hollers in the springtime.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

My husband and I did this hike in about 5 hours (including a 30-minute lunch break at the summit). Given the full leaf cover, there were not many views until we got near the top -- but they were certainly worth the effort and the wait! It's a beautiful, peaceful, quintessentially southern Appalachian hike, with plenty of climbing, rocks and roots to keep things interesting. We will definitely do this again in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Amazing views. Continue up to fine the geographical marker.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Overall great trail. It lives up to its 'difficult' rating with steep terrain and obstacles but has some flat parts to recover with. Some new views at the top but the trail is mostly wooded

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Beautiful views, and pretty strenuous. We completed this hike, along with an out and back hike to Sam's knob. This was an overnight trip for us, the way there taking a full day, and the way back taking 4 hours or so (few breaks). If I were to do this again I would do a two night trip, probably staying at Flower Knob (in tent-bald with high winds). We camped about .3 miles from the Cold Mountain summit. We planned on staying in Deep Gap, but all of the sites were taken.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

this trail is strenuous, no doubt about it, but the views at the top are 110% worth it. I would recommend trekking poles for the way back down, especially if you have cruddy joints like I do. again, 10/10 would hike again.