Cold Mountain via Art Loeb Trail

Cold Mountain via Art Loeb Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

One of my favorite hikes on the entire East coast. Coming from the Adirondacks I am use to dense rough forests and jagged trails. Hiking from a forest at this elevation to peaking on top of balds made it especially special. Can't wait to return this summer and make a weekend out of this place.

Great trail, very tough with all the leaves down, makes it very slippery.

Steep, narrow, rocky but worth it

I'm one that loves to hike strenuous hikes and this hike lived up to my expectations.

The directions to the trail were spot on. The entry to the trail is easy to fine and get started. Be aware that the last mile of the hike is not well maintained and not marked.

The views from the top are worth the time it takes to get to the top.

Cold Mountain is a beast, but worth every tired step. Great views, interesting terrain and rock formations, and a 6K'+ summit. Allow ample time going up. Ramps cover the sides of the hollers in the springtime.

My husband and I did this hike in about 5 hours (including a 30-minute lunch break at the summit). Given the full leaf cover, there were not many views until we got near the top -- but they were certainly worth the effort and the wait! It's a beautiful, peaceful, quintessentially southern Appalachian hike, with plenty of climbing, rocks and roots to keep things interesting. We will definitely do this again in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Amazing views. Continue up to fine the geographical marker.

Overall great trail. It lives up to its 'difficult' rating with steep terrain and obstacles but has some flat parts to recover with. Some new views at the top but the trail is mostly wooded

Beautiful views, and pretty strenuous. We completed this hike, along with an out and back hike to Sam's knob. This was an overnight trip for us, the way there taking a full day, and the way back taking 4 hours or so (few breaks). If I were to do this again I would do a two night trip, probably staying at Flower Knob (in tent-bald with high winds). We camped about .3 miles from the Cold Mountain summit. We planned on staying in Deep Gap, but all of the sites were taken.

this trail is strenuous, no doubt about it, but the views at the top are 110% worth it. I would recommend trekking poles for the way back down, especially if you have cruddy joints like I do. again, 10/10 would hike again.

It was a 2.5 hour climb and my legs were tired, but it is definitely beautiful at the top. I went with my 9 year old dog in mid-April. There were plenty of drinking spots for her along the way. We made it up and back in a little less than 5 hours, but we did run some of the way and we didn't stop much due to time constraints.

There are some beautiful grassy camping spots close to the top. I was tempted to take a nap there.