Colbert Ridge to Mount Mitchell

hard 5 reviews

Colbert Ridge to Mount Mitchell is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Little Switzerland, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 4,570 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Lots of climbing and going down and up rocks. There are two points where there are ropes to assist the climb.

My 8 year old and I hike the Colbert Ridge Trail to Mount Mitchell State Park. He called it the ankle breaker. My watch logged it at 11 miles and not the 7 I was expecting. Lots of strenuous climbing and going down and up rocks. There are 2 points where there are ropes to assist the climb. It turns out that our dog is part goat and had no problem scrambling up and over. We found a dead rattlesnake on the Colbert Ridge Trail and there were notices of bear sightings once we reached the Black Mountain Crest. There was a lot of cloud cover, so we couldn't see as far as we liked until we reached Old Tom. If you want a challenge, this hike is for you.

Sun Jun 25 2017