Cloudland Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bakersville, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of March 16, 2020, users have reported that there are temporary road closures in this area. Please walk from Carver’s Gaps as the main road is currently closed.

Enjoyed this hike. Had to walk from Carver’s Gaps as the main road was closed. Pleasant and easy walk over 6000 ft attitude.

This was a great trail with two amazing overlooks. The first is within the first .10 mile and it’s stunning. The second is at the end and is even more beautiful than the first. It’s about 2.3 miles out back and the trail is very well maintained, mostly level, and even paved in some parts. Not ideal for a stroller but definitely doable by children as young as 4-5. It’s very well shaded as most of it’s in the forest. The true trailhead is near the exit end of the parking area at the Cloudland Hotel parking area. There are other areas you can hop on the trail from that’ll get you closer to that second vista but I very much recommend starting from the beginning. Well worth it to see both views!!

Actually ended up on this trail by accident but was pleasantly surprised by the beauty.

There is a lot of trees that have blown down, but the forest service has done a great job of keeping the trail clear, sad to see so many trees blown down. Beautiful hike with many gorgeous mountain views, easy hike and the trail is very clear with short inclines. I’ve done this trail a few times, this was my first time hiking it at sunset.

Nice hike. Beautiful scenery, lots of gorgeous views and lovely pine trees that smelled so good! The Mountain Views were incredible. The terrain was not bad at all.

Loved it! Took a group of teenagers to hike this. I would say it’s easy to moderate. Some spots were a little challenging especially at the end for those not athletically inclined. The two views were gorgeous!

Make sure to bring bug spray!

Short hike to bluff overlook

Thu Sep 06 2018

Bring water and your camera. The view at the end of the trail is amazing.

Sun Sep 02 2018

There is no waterfall on this trail. If you scroll.down far enough in these comments, you'll see that someone has posted in the wrong "Cloud land." That may be where the confusion. Also, this trail is EASY, not moderate. Two great views are on this trail, and a lot of enjoyable woods.

Tue Aug 14 2018

My wife and I hiked with our 5, 10, 12 year olds. A little muddy will all the rain we had lately, but Perfect distance for the little legs and the view was stunning! $3 to park. So enjoyed the peacefulness and seeing God’s amazing creation!

Wed Jul 25 2018

Pretty easy going hike! There’s bathrooms and water fountains at the parking lot of the trail head.

Wed Jul 25 2018

We loved this hike! It cost $3 to get to the top but there are bathrooms located just outside the entrance to the trail. It was a fairly easy hike and the views are by far some of the best we’ve seen on our trip. Be sure to add this one to your list!

Sun Jul 15 2018

beautiful regardless of weather. it's similar to Pacific northwest. very easy even for someone out if shape and obese like me.

Tue Jul 10 2018

My review is from the perspective of an amateur landscape photographer. At the end of the trail is a platform looking primarily north with a 180 degree view. Composition is the “endless mountains” with many ridge lines fading to infinity. The only thing missing is a strong foreground element although there are some nice rocks to the left Please see my photos to judge if the composition is something you like. I’m not sure if it’s a good sunset location and hope to visit another time to evaluate.

Sun Jul 08 2018

I recommend making this the end of your other activities around the Roan Mountain area. You can drive to about 0.5 mile from the summit, which I recommend since half of the longer route appeared to be through parking lots or following the road up. Having said that, the 3 stars given are for the view. It’s beautiful at the top and you won’t regret tacking 15-20 minutes to your day for this one.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Trail lived up to its name. Because, it was entirely in the clouds. Was a super easy hike. Some parts had asphalt. Your walk is rewarded at the end by an amazing lookout. Along the way you’ll experience some very unique flora and fauna. Parking and trail access is excellent. It was a Monday morning and we had the trail to ourselves. There is an overlook right after start of trail to the right that is a short walk and nice view.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Easy with a couple beautiful look outs!

Mon Jun 04 2018

the trailhead for the full hike was difficult to find. parts of the trail are included in the high bluff trail, which basically walks along the road. the overlook is breathtaking though. it's a short hike but a really nice view.

Fri Apr 20 2018

Love this trail. When I went I only saw three or four other people along the entire trail. You can also connect to the Appalachian Trail and hike a lot farther. Makes for a great day all in all. Best of all, its dog friendly. Can't wait to go back when the rhododendrons are blooming!

Thu Sep 07 2017

This is a great hike for two reasons. First, the views from the two observation platforms are fantastic. Second, this is a great example of the flora that exists above 5,000 feet in the Appalachians. It reminded us of the Northwest. But there is no waterfall, unless there's a part of the trail not on the AllTrails map.

Sun Aug 20 2017

We parked at the Cloudland parking lot, the first one you get to at the top. You can continue on the gravel road past this parking lot all the way to the .7 of a mile marker from the Bluffs. We began from the start and it was approx 3 miles round trip. Beautiful trail, easy to maneuver. We had our 5 year old with us. He did great! Some parts are a bit muddy but there are ways around the mud holes. The last .7 of the trail can get crowded and the trail is narrow in areas. Just use etiquette, not everyone has manners so be aware. It gets noisy in the last leg too. We suggest early morning if you enjoy tranquil nature time. The views at the end are amazing. Again the viewing area can get crowded, people don't want to move and allow others to see so be aware of this too. For the ultimate experience go early or during the week.

Sun Aug 13 2017

I have this trail a 5 star based solely on the incredible view we had! We hiked from the big parking lot (1.4 miles each way) and it was relatively a flat hike with just a few rocky and sloped areas. My friend and I both wore tennis shoes, but there's several areas that is muddy and boots would've been more appropriate. Key note, once you arrive into the parking lot, the trail starts immediately as you turn in. It is not around the restroom area. A lot of people, including us, almost missed this. Once at the top you will get great views. Amazing to look out and see the other mountains and down in the valleys. Enjoyable hike, not many people around when we were there, love to do again sometime.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Easy trail. Beautiful hike on cool summer day--mostly shady, mossy. Trail can be wet in places. A few tips I wish we'd had. 1. Cloudland Trail does not begin on the end of the parking lot near the restrooms. It is literally right in front of you to the left when you pull up into the parking lot. It is across from the "keep right" sign, but the trailhead sign is turned so you can't see it. (see photo of my daughter and dogs with trailhead sign) 2. The trail does not start at the Cloudland Hotel site. A beautiful bald area for picnics and play but the trail from there is the Appalachian Trail which goes to Carvers Gap in one direction or continues on southward. 3. When you do hike in on Cloudland Trail, it splits. To the right will take you to first overlook. To the left keeps you on the trail. 4. It was worth our confusion (and hike on the AT) to find this on our way out. We hiked it and the view is spectacular as well as reasonably quiet--on a summer Saturday we only passed 2 sets of people. Easy trail which my daughter did in Chaos (even on the wet rock area). 1.4 miles from big parking lot; .7 miles from bus parking lot.

Sun Jul 02 2017

Beautiful short trail with amazing views from the top of Roan Mountain to Roan High Bluff. Trail exits the top of Roan Mountain parking area on the side away from the restrooms, opposite the hotel remains. Trail passes two bus parking areas. There are two great overlook areas, one just a short walk from the parking area and one at High Bluff with a nice platform for a 180 view. Enjoy the moss covered trees and high elevation air. The stone platform near the parking area is a great place to soak it all in.

Mon Jun 19 2017

You can make this hike long or short. We made it a short hike by driving to within 1/2 mile of the overlook.You can accomplish this by driving to the bus parking lot, and then follow the exit road to the sign for the trail. The trail is well maintained and quite pleasant but the big payoff is at the end when you get to the overlook platform. You are at over 6100 feet and on a clear day can see for miles! I really enjoyed this short little hike with the big payoff!

Sun Jun 11 2017

Nice easy trail from the Cloudland Hotel/Rhododendron gardens area to the beautiful Roan high Bluff overlook into the Tennessee side of the mountains. Trail is mostly flat and the elevation gain is gentle.