Chestnut Knob Loop Trail

Chestnut Knob Loop Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bostic, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wide and rocky, with steep grades. Fairly difficult to make it to the top.

For some reason my track didn't save the past couple of times, but, for the past month the gnats are HORRIBLE in the fire damaged areas!...repellant doesn't seem to help much either. But, still, a nice loop. There's even a hidden waterfall just off-trail (which I marked and took a picture of...shame the track didn't save).

I did chestnut knob today with my golden. He is 5 months out from acl surgery and did great! We can't wait to go back and see the falls next time

I completed a very enjoyable 6.3 mile loop that included 1280 feet of elevation gain. It was basically a two mile climb up to Chestnut Knob, followed by a more gradual four mile descent by way of the wider Sawtooth, Upper CCC and Little River bridal trails. I can definitely see myself returning to experience this hike again during a different season.

The first mile is the most challenging. From there it's pretty moderate. Yes, a good amount of fire devastation. Part of nature. Otherwise great scenery. You share the trail with the horses and their earthly deposits.

Trail was closed when I attempted on April 8, 2017.

The overlook was not as impressive as I thought it would be. Currently a lot of devastation from the forest fires.

My favorite of all time. I've hiked them all. Super strenuous for the non experienced hiker in some areas. Get what you put into it here. Be careful and take some basic supplies in case of a slip trip or fall.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Amazing trails, my family and i love to visit here. If you never been here in the fall or winter months please give it a shot. Beautiful view with ice on the side of the mountains.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Trail was beautiful and well maintained. I would definitely come again as the state park has 40 miles of trails and its easy to navigate different trails. Park ranger office is very friendly and they have free maps as well.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Thursday, November 26, 2015

great hike. fun to catch on the backside by the state hospital reservoir 20 min from downtown Morganton and great mountain views of south mountain up close and table rock in the distance. we hiked 4 miles round trip. moderate up and down but could do with my almost 60 year old parents

Monday, November 16, 2015