Chestnut Knob Trail

Chestnut Knob Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Connellys Springs, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep wooded trail, views of High Shoals Falls, extraordinary mountain views Follow the HQ trail away from the parking area. After you pass the amphitheater on the left, look for Chestnut Knob trail on the right. Follow Chestnut Knob Trail for half a mile to the Jacob Fork River Gorge Overlook. Note: This first half mile is the steepest and most strenuous section of this trail. From this overlook you have nice distant views of the 80 ft. High Shoals Falls. Return to the main trail and walk until you come to a T-intersection. Turn left towards the Chestnut Knob Overlook. At the trail junction with a hiker sign and arrow, turn left and follow the trail to an exposed rock outcrop. Be careful here! Watch your footing! Return back to the parking area along the same route.

I had a sunny and beautiful early morning hike with the trail all to myself. With all the foliage, I was only able to see the very top of High Shoals Falls from the Jacob Fork River Gorge Overlook (I could hear it a lot better than I could see it). I could clearly see Crowders Mountain from the Chestnut Knob Overlook, but there was enough haze to prevent me from seeing the tall buildings in Charlotte. There is still lots of evidence of last fall's fire. But there is a bunch of new growth as well. I did not have any issues with the condition of the newly reopened trail.

Beautiful hike, even when cloudy. Not busy at all and two great overlooks.

One of my favorite trails within a short distance of Charlotte and my favorite in this park. The trail is short and steep for two sections but otherwise not too difficult. You can make this into a loop by walking along the horse trails but there aren't many good views that way. If it's a nice clear day you can see Crowders mountain and even uptown Charlotte.

This trail was closed when I attempted on April 8, 2017.

Nice short hike. I would bring a snack to enjoy the view with .

Good incline, felt the burn. Lookout area is small and rocky, but very pretty view

Monday, June 20, 2016

Friday, May 13, 2016

It's a great view! I do this trail every couple of weeks.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Monday, February 01, 2016

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Good trail with a great payoff of a mountainscape view at the end.