Cheoah Bald via Appalachian Trail

Cheoah Bald via Appalachian Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Robbinsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There is definitely some discrepancy in the length. Sign at the bottom says 5.5 to Cheoah Bald. Sign .5 from Cheoah Bald says 6 to the parking area off 143. I think I clocked 11 Total. It’s a beautiful forest hike, “rolling” up and down both ways. I’m sure the view at the top is spectacular, but between 11-12 today I couldn’t see much of anything. Beautiful wildflowers near the top. Trail was is great shape, though it is pretty narrow the entire way. I don’t think this trail is super difficult, but as a long distance runner I may not be the best judge! It was fairly busy today, a Monday.

Before you go, it is actually 13 miles. There is only one water source at Locust Cove. The view at Cheoah Bald was beautiful. We went at the beginning of July. It's warm at times but we never got too hot. Enjoyed the hike quite a bit.

Did this as a day hike out and back with our dog. Great view at the bald. Saw no hikers on our way up and one small group when we got to the bald. A few more on our way back. Can get hot bring plenty of water. Challenging hike but worth it.

A great trail to get the heart pumping well ! We hit the summit and came down the bartram trail we had arranged for a family member to pick us up . Took a little longer to descend than expected but no biggie just thankful for the views up top and the iPhone flash light !! Will do this route again but take more water and a good flashlight

Trail was moderately difficult. Not super long, but steep in sections especially towards the beginning and end. Trail was in good condition with good footing the entire way. Beautiful old forest kept things interesting, but there were limited lookout points along the way. Water was fairly scarce, but could be found at Locust Cove about 3 miles in, and Sassafras Gap 2 miles past the summit. The summit offered great uninterrupted views, and plenty of sites to camp. No single spot with 360 degree view, but numerous vantage points to look in all directions. Descent was easier than ascent thanks to good footing, slower work than expected, because of the surprising length of the ascents while descending. Overall a decent hike, made significantly better by the terrific summit.

This trail is 5

Monday, July 30, 2012

I loved this place. It was harder than most places but definitely worth biking!

Sunday, July 29, 2012

I did this hike in September 2008. Beautiful sites! Very difficult the first 6 miles, but worth it. Water was a bit scarce but could be found and marked well

Saturday, April 22, 2017