Caudill Cabin Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Traphill, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

I hiked this trail today (5/16/20) for the first time and it's now my favorite trail. I loved everything about it, but the water crossings most of all. I took 2 dogs with me and they handled it fine :) TIPS: 1. Bring a pen for the log book in the cabin. 2. Plan on your shoes getting wet - there's no getting around it. 3. Bring bug spray. 4. Bring hiking poles- the water crossings are slippery. 5. 11.08 miles from parking lot to cabin and back. That was using Mapmyrun. 6. I had ZERO cell service. I have Verizon. Like...zero cell service. I can't wait to go back!

Super fun hike with lots to see on the way up.

This is an interesting hike along a creek to the cabin / homestead. Bring poles -16 creek crossings.

Gently rising trail up to Caudill Cabin. Great place for a snack. Lots of rock hopping over at least a dozen streams.

David Laird I don't think you can do that.

Is it possible to cut across the mountain to flat rock ridge trail head parking lot after you reach the cabin?

Be ready to get your feet wet and great waterfalls! Tons of camping!

Mon Jun 03 2019

Started hiking this trail the end of April after record rainfall for the year and month. The creek crossings were difficult with the large volume of water flowing, so after several crossings I decided turn back and try again another day.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Great hike, 9.8 miles out & back. 16 river crossing (see pic). Tried to do this hike in December but to much ice on the rocks and the river was high. Cute cabin restored in 2001, hard to believe that a large family lived in it. Well worth the hike on a nice day.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Very neat hike...quite unique...how often is the destination of the hike a restored cabin dating back from the early 20th century? The hike starts on the Grassy Gap Fire Road, which gently follows the creek for about 1.5 miles to the back-country campsite area and the marked intersection with Basin Creek Trail. From there it is 3.3 mostly uphill miles and 15-16 creek crossings (about 5-6 them required a wade on the day of my hike) along Basin Creek to the Cabin. The trail passes two pretty unnamed waterfalls along the way. It also passes various remains (chimneys, house foundations) of the community washed away in the 1916 flood. It finally reaches a clearing with the Caudill Cabin about 1,000 feet below Wildcat Rocks overlook, clearly visible, at least before the leaves come back.

Fri Jul 20 2018

Great out and back trail. Beautiful primitive campsite along the way. Knowing this history is a big plus. Highly recommend.

Wed May 02 2018

Good out and back hike. Pretty much the whole time you're right along the river. Water was fairly high, had to wear some water shoes to get across a few stretches and just left them on for a good half mile or more as the trail crosses repeatedly. I think it was after the 8th crossing that I put my shoes back on. I was able to navigate all the streams coming down without much trouble, but was less worried about getting my feet wet! The last stretch up to the cabin is pretty tough. It was a warm day and I was getting pretty wiped out, and then the cabin appeared just ahead. Had my lunch and headed back down. I recorded it at 10.5 miles, but did a little routing around to find a crossing early on and also roamed around the cabin area a little when I got there. The nice thing about this hike is it's just straight up and then straight down. Coming down was quite easy as it is a gentle incline on soft ground.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Really like this trail. It runs along a creek with some large boulders in it that are great for sitting on you eat lunch or relax. The last 1/4 of the trail to get up to the cabin can be pretty tough but I believe the trail can be enjoyed even if you choose to not do the last part up to the cabin. Knowing the history of what happened there adds to the awe and wonder

Sat Sep 09 2017

I would call this trail slightly more than moderate for a couple of reasons distance and hills. I would highly recommend this trail we loved every moment.

Mon Jun 26 2017

So many stream crossings, the dog loved it!

Sun May 05 2019