Catawba Falls Trail

Catawba Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Old Fort, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice 2 mile trail along the stream, going gently up with some easy rock scrambling as you reach the falls. Beautiful falls with a small pool to cool off. Crowded but a pleasant hike for all ages and all sizes of dogs.
Note you turn onto the highway entrance road and then take an immediate left on to the access road. I missed it first try thinking I’d end up on Heat 40 if I took that turn. The trail head and parking lot are at the very end of the road—you can’t miss them if you just keep going.

Short but kinda tough. Get your blood pumping on your option to climb up using all your limbs. Lol There are a few spots that have ropes to help pull you up the steep almost straight up vertical climb. Not to much trust in the ropes but there are rocks and roots to grab to go up. Trust me its so worth it climbing up as the views are breath taking with the waterfall. Also climb out to be in the waterfall too. Rocks are very slick wet so use your brain before running out there in excitement.
There are a lot of small trails that go off the path but they are not long. Go for different views. Hike and explore more than just the path. There is a group of different small sets of waterfalls you can climb up quite a ways, if you were to walk up area of rocks before the little creek crossing on the main trail. Not too many people im sure know about it due to its not a trail and its a lot of water to walk through, climbing, parkour and or your choice on getting covered in poison ivy if you try to walk around through the jungle lol its so enjoyable and fun. I have gone a few times and see different stuff each time i go. One of my favorite places.

A casual hike up the hills and a great place for a skinny dip at the fall.

Absolutely awesome! My wife and I hiked this with some friends and loved every minute. The work it took to get to the upper falls was well worth it!

Went for a nice visit today. The lower falls are easy to get to. If you want to visit the upper falls, it starts beside the lower falls and goes up. There are 3 ropes to assist with this. Just make sure that after the third rope you walk to your left on the rocks. That's the trail to the upper falls. The trail runs along side of the creek. There is a trail that continues on up and it will eventually get you to the upper falls. Do not go that way, it is alot longer hike with a steeper climb, then a steep incline down to the previous trail.

Beautiful wide trail and in the shade so even on warm days it is no problem. The falls are beautiful and the water feels great..will do this one again

Great trail and beautiful falls..the water feels wonderful!

easy peasy.

Wonderful hike. I climbed up toward the second falls with ropes and all. Once at the top I followed some paths but couldn't pin point which way to go. Any pointers?

Fun hike! Overall pretty easy but second half had some challenging spots. Would definitely hike this one again.

Amazing views. The hike to the first waterfall is pretty easy. The water is cool and a nice little treat after a hike in the sun. The second waterfall is more challenging to get to, but with a little perseverance it’s doable. The water was refreshing and totally worth it.

Beautiful waterfall...

Beautiful area. The hike to first big waterfall is easy, the second waterfall is a little more challenging but very doable. Go earlier in the day, if you wait until noontime it can get very crowded.

Nice easy trail. 4 year old had no trouble. Water was super cool and refreshing.

Moderate hike with a beautiful backdrop. The falls at the end are worth he journey!

Gorgeous! We had a creek crossing due to high water. Would do it again.

Loved this trail with the waterfall views and rope climbing. The first part of the trail up to the waterfall is easy. Due to high water levels we had to cross a stream and get our shoes wet, but that was part of the fun. We climbed the 3 sets of ropes but decided to turn around right after, so we didn’t make it to 2nd falls. I was concerned about climbing down having never done a trail like that before, but the decent turned out to be an awesome challenge and not as bad as I thought. Would absolutely do it again next time I’m in town!

Super easy hike, with pretty nice falls... only hiccup is that the trail leading to the falls is heavily traveled so it's muddy and at times jammed by people who don't hike frequently. Its worth a quicky... perfect trail to hike in sandals and eat lunch at... if you are driving thru Ashville area its worth stopping and hiking as a break from driving.

I've hiked this trail 4 times, I feel like a lot of people stop at the first big waterfall but if you go a little further up past the 3 ropes and keep to left there's an even more amazing waterfall not too far ahead. This is hands down my favorite place to go in the summer

Super easy and short hike that leads to a nice waterfall. We got an early start (7am) and it was great because on our way down we ran into so many hikers! Definitely lots of traffic on this trail.
Once you make it to the waterfall, there’s a very steep and rocky path to the top, just be careful because it’s muddy, slippery and rocky. Pay attention to their warning signs.
Good hike if you need something nearby, for beginners or if you have young children. There’s several other hikes with better views a bit farther out.

On the easier side of moderate; absolutely beautiful trail!

Really nice short hike with a slight incline through the woods until you reach the big multi-level falls. The mist felt so nice on a hot (and hungover) day. A little crowded for a Sunday afternoon but not too bad, the beautiful falls were definitely worth it!

Great hike, took our four year and and our dog. They loved it. Waterfall is beautiful

A little crowded even on a Monday, but the waterfalls are worth it.

just hiked this again for the second time this week with my girlfriend. amazing waterfalls but it's a bit crowded on the weekends

Amazing waterfall!! Best one I’ve seen on the east coast, hands down. Well worth the hike to the top!!

easy trail .. beautiful waterfall..

this was my favorite trail we did on our Asheville weekend. waterfall is better than expected and most of it is an easy walk out.

very easy flat wide trail along the river to an amazing waterfall-pictures don't do it any justice. trail to upper falls is closed but always see people going up.

Loved it. Many interesting things to see and lots of creeks to cross on the way up.