Carolina Thread Trail

Carolina Thread Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waxhaw, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

To access the trailhead park at the nearby H.C. Nesbitt Park, a sports complex behind the Kensington Elementary School. At the end of the paved drive there is a gravel drive that leads to a turn around. Park here and walk the gravel over the bridge and straight through until you come out between 2 houses up to a paved road. Just across the road will be a sign for the Thread Trail trailhead. Address to the park: 1304 H C Nesbit Park Rd Waxhaw, NC 28173

This was a pleasant surprise.
I was apprehensive about the trail upon first pullling into a NEIGHBORHOOD! I stuck through it, parked in a community parking lot by the pool, and headed on my way.
I am so glad that I didn't listen to my inner voice to turn away. This was a great physical hike as well as scenic.
You start with a back and forth around a ravine as the elevation steeply rises.
You quicky find yourself at a suspension bridge to cross. It apparently crosses the NC / SC line as indicated by the signs on the bridge.
You weave back and forth along the creek using a pretty small trail. I normally like a narrow trail but had to keep giving the right of way to bikers. That would be my only complaint.
All in all though a hidden gem in Waxhaw tucked inside a neighborhood.

I did not see any pavement

May be great for runners and walkers, but pavement is not great for hiking. Nice wooded area. Will do again when looking for something close to home.

Saturday, March 07, 2015