Carolina Mountain Trail

Carolina Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

The Carolina Mountain Trail passes through pine, mixed hardwood and ericaceous forest types. A short connector trail runs from a dry stack stone overlook to the Greenhouse parking area. The Arboretum recently increased its personal vehicle parking fee to $14 in order to help sustain new and future upgrades at the Arboretum.

Great first long walk for my baby border collie

Explored,

Close to my house. The arboretum is convenient and a quick get away hike.

Great trail!.

Wed Aug 08 2018

Beautiful forest views and running creek. Signage could be better, we had trouble finding our way back.

Tue Apr 03 2018

Nice walk in the woods.. followed the bent stream... serene in April

Fri Mar 16 2018

Nice walk

Mon Dec 25 2017

Nice easy walk through the forest , have walked this trail many times with my dogs.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Nice trail. No great mountain views, but a nice walk.

Mon Nov 13 2017

easy nice trail. only went 20 minutes out because of park closing. free for vets on veterans day!

Sun Oct 15 2017

Great trail for beginners. The Carolina Trail by itself is super easy. Small hill on Running Cedar Rd but still easy. Definitely make your way to Bent Creek Trail. It’s also easy but has the best scenery by the creek and provides benches if you want to rest and take it all in.

Sun May 21 2017

I highly recommend this trail for anyone wanting a moderate hiking trail with a beautiful destination. The well maintained trail winds through the woods and leads to the NC Arboretum.

Mon Jan 23 2017

A favorite of ours; good for my 5yr old.

Sat Oct 22 2016

Nice trail. Easy for my elderly mastiff to amble. Better signage would be nice, as there are several trails and we managed to hit every single one, so the 1-2 miles we had planned became over 8 since I give a poor sense of direction and apparently my map-reading skills are poor. Still, it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

Sat Oct 22 2016

A nice nature trail inside the beautiful NC Arboretum, with interpretive displays and including a little elevation change.

Sun Jan 31 2016

Beautiful Gentle Well kept

Wed Apr 03 2013

Great place to take our dog! Easy hike, a little uphill. Lots of trails in the area( around 10 miles all together?). We parked at Bent Creek river park just across from the entrance to Arboretum. The trail head is near the bridge.

Mon Jan 09 2012

NC Arboretum is a fun, easy and relaxing hike. You will find mostly families and people with their dogs. It is not crowded if you go in winter. I was looking for something more difficult, but found it pretty. I just came back from it and loved spending that time there.

Fri Nov 25 2011

Fyi: This trail is in Bent Creek south of Asheville about 15 miles. It is not near Burnsville NC at all.

Wed Aug 10 2011

Very easy hike, but family and dog friendly. All of the loop is very clean and well-maintained, and the majority of the elevation gain occurs in the last .5 mile or so of the trail.

Mon Mar 21 2011

The Arboretum is a wonderful place to take the family, especially for those who aren't up for strenuous hiking. The Arboretum is in Asheville though NOT in Burnsville. The Arboretum also charges a small fee but they do offer free days - check their website for more info

Tue Aug 10 2010