Learn more

Bullhead Mountain and Locust Knob

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(138)
Blue Ridge Parkway

Bullhead Mountain and Locust Knob is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Barnardsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 951 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Snow
Waypoints (0)
Photos (295)
Recordings (125)
Completed (281)
John Dugan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
View John's Recording
Susan Donkle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
Hiking

Ok so this trail kicked my ass. We started at Graybeard overlook. We had a great time just coasting away through this easy/moderate trail. We went to the falls overlook and that’s where you turn back and come to find that this trail completely sucks going the other direction. It is uphill for a solid hour or so. I thought I was going to die, my legs felt like jelly and I would have just sat down and cried but my husband had left me in the dust and no one would have heard me. I think this would be a much more fun hike getting the hard part over with at the beginning and starting at the falls overlook. If you aren’t 56 and overweight it probably doesn’t matter, but it was pure torture for me, and we hike a decent amount. Thank goodness for the cool weather and I can look back and laugh-maybe? High rating because it’s my fault I’m not in better shape.

Nichole Keller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownWashed out

When you get to the over look, it is not the trail on the right! Do not take it. We got to the top of it and it was VERY hard and super overgrown. I believe it’s the trail on the left side of the overlook facing off the mountain. I just know it isn’t the right. There isn’t any views and you’d have to take a machete lol. LEFT SIDE!

Ja L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2020
Hiking

The view is decent. Moderate level.

Peter Sangiorgio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2020
HikingMuddy

Very muddy and a little boring. Few places with a great view. The rest is in the forest. Also very close to the road.

CARRIE CASSELL
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

Great hike close to Asheville. It is a very muddy and technical hike so wear good shoes, I was glad to have my hiking poles. Take the MTS trailhead on the left of Greybeard overlook.

Natasha Vk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

amazing trail. we did it with my 6 y/o and we all loved it!!you walk through the woods, then forest, then weird creepy trees, then blueberry bushes. the scenery changes along the way. note: you are hiking on top of the mountain. elevation is very high. we could hear the road noise along in some parts. we also got lost. there were no signs where the bullhead mt was or the locust knob. we reached the rocky knob and thought this is it but the trail continued. so we kept on walking and walking without realising that this is a 2000 mile mountain to sea trail!! we met only one hiker who told us to turn around and come back. so I wish there were some kind of marking or signs that tells you where you are! when we left the parking lot we saw the trail can exit at the next lookout so I assume if we kept going we could reach the exit at the different parking lot! anyways, it's a beautiful trail .

Sierra Thorson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
Hiking

My favorite trail in the Asheville area so far! This trail has something for everyone - elevation changes, cool plant life, wildflowers, wonky trees, water, rocky overlooks, incredible views, you name it. Loved it! My only complaint is it was VERY mushy and downright sloppy in some places.

View Sierra's Recording
Taylor Toomey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Lauren Mophett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

This trail was a nice way to kick off our week of after work hikes in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Their was plenty of neat plants, trees, and moss to keep us interested while the trees provided shade. Thankfully it was a cloudy afternoon keeping the unshaded portions quite comfortable. At the higher elevation where trees were no longer present we saw tons of wildflowers and blueberries (no ready for picking yet). The views of the mountains in the distance were beautiful. We had the trail entirely to ourselves.... except for the black bear :) The trail does seem to stay damp and it was squishy yesterday after the recent rains. Not slick, just something to watch out for to avoid wet shoes.

Emily Somberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

Great hike, awesome views, definitely closer to easy

Sarah Rosselet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Gorgeous trail. We started at Graybeard Overlook while it was lightly drizzling so we couldn’t see much, but it had cleared up by the time we were turning back so we could see the gorgeous views. Some really cool terrain to walk through. Definitely on the easy side of moderate. Highly recommend!

Randall Skeeters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020

Great trail, easy side of moderate. Started at Graybeard Overlook. Make sure you take the trailhead to the left when you get to the GB overlook.

Kirstin Voelkel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020

One of my favorite mountaintop walks as I just stumbled upon it. Hesitat to leave a review as it is best kept a secret! Beautiful views on both sides of the ridgeline. Moderate difficulty, normally I just do a partial on this one. Birds and butterflies play amounst the wildflowers and trees.

Sneaky Leaky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

This hike, as marked here, is parking lot to parking lot hike. We started at the Graybeard Mt overlook. The other is the Glassmine Branch Falls overlook. I highly suggest going from one parking lot to the summit and returning back to your parking. The summit is full of blueberry shrubs, Rhododendrons and several rock balds that give a great spot to stop and enjoy the incredible view, including the Glassmine Branch Falls. You don’t gain anything, except mileage, going to the next parking lot. Starting at Graybeard Mt overlook is a longer hike to the summit, with an enjoyable trail with different terrain to go through. Starting at Glassmine Branch Falls overlook is a shorter but steeper hike. The trail has very high grass - hip high- to walk through. Choose wisely.

View Sneaky's Recording
Peter Rabbino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
Hiking

This is the fairy ghost trail. It has a narrow tunnel of grass that goes up knee high - we had to walk single file most of the trail. It’s very humid and mossy and really different looking from most other trails. There are gorgeous expansive Mountain View’s and a few good rocks for rest and lunch. At one point we saw a gorgeous water view on the other side of the mountain ridge from us. The trail ends up parallel to the highway and then we turned back. The way back is up and was a decent workout. Took us a little under 3 hours.

View Peter's Recording
Cathy Zhang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
Hiking

Dog friendly. Good views. It turns out you can just drive to the end viewpoint which was a little disappointing.

View Cathy's Recording
Kem Muller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 5, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

This was a great moderate hike. The rocky ups and downs are really what makes it moderate...otherwise I would say it was closer to easy. Some beautiful tree and rock configurations and the views...WOW!! When you get up to the rocks on Locust Knob you can see for daaayyys down into the Asheville Watershed and the surrounding Blue Ridges are just breathtaking. Highly recommend.

View Kem's Recording
John Lapak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2020
View John's Recording
Tim Winkler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 30, 2019
HikingMuddy

The trail was very diverse with great sights along the way. Excellent views of a lake and waterfall! Felt like we were in the sky with the clouds, but they cleared up for gorgeous scenic Mountain Views. Some parts were muddy, but it also rained the night before. Try it out!

View Tim's Recording
Sarah Lima
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 27, 2019
HikingBlowdown

Great little peaceful out and back. I agree with the assessment that the biggest payoffs are Bullhead and the Knob- no need to proceed to the next overlook, which you can reach as a pull off if desired! Good for all ages, recommend poles for anyone uncomfortable with downhill boulders but there are very few such sections. Classification of easy-moderate is solid.

Megan Bruss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 4, 2019

Hiked with my son on a weekday (Oct 25) - best time to go if you wanted to enjoy the fall colors & no crowds. As we expected from the forecast, the weather varied, but on the way, we were able to see both sides of the overlooks fairly clearly. We then got to see the clouds roll over the ridges, which is always awe-inspiring. Even when fully fogged in, the trail is worth it, as the varied terrain & vegetation make for a fabulous enchanted forest. we went all the way to the next BRP overlook, and it was pretty straightforward. If you have weak ankles, even the flat parts of the trails do have roots & rocks, but nothing unusual. Definitely worth it, and on a weekday the light Parkway noise was kind of pleasant.

Carley Mulkey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2019
Scenic driving

We didn't finish the trail due to the foggy conditions, but the part we did was fantastic. As others said, lots of variation in vegetation and a quiet, serene hike. We plan to come back during clearer conditions so we can hike to the overlook.