Buckquarter Creek Trail

Buckquarter Creek Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hillsborough, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 141 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Directions from Durham, NC: From I-85 South to Durham, take Cole Mill exit, turn right, after 5 miles road will enter the park. From I-85 North, take Exit 170 between Hillsborough and Durham. Make a U-turn after coming off the exit ramp, go under the interstate a quarter mile, turn right on Pleasant Green Road, then turn left at intersection with Cole Mill Road. Travel over the Eno River, you will be on park property. Travel past the picnic and parking area leaving the park. Continue in a northwestern direction crossing over Pleasant Green Road and shortly you will enter park land again. Park in the first parking area after the park headquarters. Trailhead is located there.

Short trail, several climbs and stairs to ascend. The trail has lots of roots, so be careful not to trip. The scenery is amazing. Probably one of the cleanest trails I’ve done.

We drove 2:30 hrs just to hike here! And we had a great time. Our Lab had so much fun with the water and the hike:) a little damage from Hurricane but we can’t complain about it, we were just grateful the trails are still available.

Great for a quick hike with the

Nice trail along the river

lots of steps and lots of rocks uncomfortable for walking

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Did this trail in combonation with holden mill, today on recommendation of a very nice lady at the office? Followed her directions to do a figure 8, starting with the right branch of buckquater then crossing over to stay with the river on our left, then coming back with the river on our right. Went with a friend and our 3 dogs. We all had a blast, we were in and out of the river to play. A bit more traffic as the day went on but not bad until we got back to the beginning of the trailhead where everyone was in the river. We will definitely be back.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Crowded Memorial Day at Eno River State Park, yet still open trail along the Buckquarter Creek Trail loop. Start from the Few’s Ford parking lot - the first parking lot on the right as you enter the park at the end of Cole Mill road. Take the road down by the Piper-Cox Museum to Few’s Ford and take a right upriver. The river has deposited logs and other debris due to flooding along the trail, but the trail is still in pretty good shape. I stayed left on the trail along the river going out. Beautiful view of the rapids near the platform stairs and walking next to the river. Slightly muddy due to rainstorm the night before, the trail takes you by the Holden Mill Trail bridge. From there the trail leaves the river and heads inland to the Ridge Trail, which I took to combine with the Shakori Trail for a 4 mile RT. Took the high side of the Buckquarter Creek Trail coming back, which takes you up the bluff from the river. Really nice hike.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Great dog walking trail

Monday, March 28, 2016

Great in the fall. Nice walk along the river. Then loop back on higher ground.

Friday, July 06, 2012

This was a nice little loop, the only problem was that it was 109 F and I didn't bring any water which was a silly mistake to make. In my defense I thought I was walking the Eno Trace Trail which is only 0.5 miles. The Buckquarter Creek trail is a great trail, you can see the river, and you get to see some great wooded areas as well as a nice vista from a hill that over looks the valley the Eno River is in. I wanted to check out the other trails in the Eno River State Park but didn't have enough time. If you have an iPhone I would also recommend downloading the North Carolina State Park Pocket Ranger app. It has a lot of great info and maps as well.

recorded Buckquarter Creek Trail