Brunswick Nature Preserve is a 8.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Winnabow, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 km Elevation Gain: 27 m Route Type: Loop

Great trail! Beautiful trail along the river. Different levels - easy and intermediate! Great for families and dogs. Shaded and not too hot!

It was an overcast day & really nice to walk. My dog & I did the Dogwood trail. It was a nice change of scenery!

Man bike ride! Tucker10 first time on the trails. Did awesome!

awesome trail for a family hike!

Great trail beautiful views

Great trail! Tons of scenic views with benches along the way. Great hike for families!

This is a pretty decent compilation of bike/running trails. FYI, the “river” is just an offshoot of the actual river. I would classify it as a swamp. That aside, I was able to get 6.29 miles out of it without double backing and I didn’t hit all of the trails. The trails aren’t as well maintained as Blue Clay and at times are confusing due to lack of markings. There are restrooms but they are closed due to Covid19 so if you have a #2 emergency you’ll have to improvise. Because it is in proximity to a swamp, be very mindful of where you step. There are signs at the entrance to the park warning of snakes and alligators. Also, if you tend to drag your feet when you run, you’ll have to break that habit at this trail, lots of roots and trip hazards.

Good Friday evening run. Missed the last two morning beach runs- made up for it in the woods! Piper in hand. It really is more fun with her. Back to 12 hour work days- hello spring! Still find time for activity- it’s a must

very easy, wodded trail with lovely views of a river.

Great trail for my dog and I!

Nice trail system. Wish they were labeled better. Hard to tell which trail you are on often.

we built this trail system some years ago. The initial beginner trail was by far the most difficult to create, as it is elevated above the surrounding wetland. Good trails for all skill levels. singlespeed friendly. however, the el chupacambra trail, I wouldn't recommend . poor drainage, so it's muddy. sight lines almost non existent. no flow. if you are on a geared bike and love your granny gear, then the el chupacambra is for you.

Easy trail, some ups and downs but mostly flat, a few decent views of the river

I would recommend these trails, especially in the winter because there are no bugs! Trails are shared with mountain bikers, just be aware, and they are well maintained by the mountain bike Association. Open areas are hot but those are limited, most of the trails are shaded and fun

Great trail once you figure out where the hiking trails begin. I would have rated it a 5 but lack of signage was the only issue we encountered. Nice small elevation changes for a trail near the coast.

Besides the ninja Mosquitoes this was a great trail but the app stopped recording almost immediately after I started.

Absolutely awesome trail everything from easy to expert very friendly people will make this a repeat place

I would recommend this trail, especially in the winter because there are no bugs! Trails are shared with mountain bikers, just be aware, and they are well maintained by the mountain bike Association. Open areas are hot but those are limited, most of the trails are shaded and fun.

Very great trail. Lots to explore and some cool views. The directions to the actual nature preserve are wrong. Took me about 15 minutes out of the way. Wire road doesn't exist. Google the nature preserve and navigate from there

This is a very nice area to explore. I am making repeat visits for all the various routes... my dog loves it here! BTW, if anyone finds my dog's "Bear Bell", please let me know. :)

Wed Apr 24 2019

Beautiful. My favorite trail around here so far. Worth the drive.

Tue Apr 02 2019

I love these trails. There's a new trail, El Chupacabra, which is intermediate. The maps even at the parking lot don't list this new one or Flytrap, but it wasn't too hard to find them and figure out where they start and dump out.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Trails are very clear, most have very clear signs and directions. lots of nature, wooded, river and marsh views.

Sun Nov 25 2018

I am close to rating four stars. There are four separate trails for biking. Canebrake is a little over a mile. This is a beginner trail and I will give it 5 stars as a beginner trail. Kids will do fine on this trail. No real climbs or downhills. It is single track but barely. Wide enough to be comfortable on. I have taken several beginners on this trail and they have done fine. Gator is an listed as an intermediate trails. I give it 3 stars. The advanced trail is called copperhead and I honestly feel gator is more difficult than copperhead if you bypass the obstacles. Gator is fast and fun but the downsides are there are what seems like a million roots on the trail so if you are on a hardtail it will beat you to death. I have bought a Yeti SB 5+ and I enjoy this trail a lot more now with the plus size tires and full suspension. Also on all trails except canebrake there are small trees that have been cut off but not at ground level. The result is a very dangerous spear potential if you fall on them. I spoke to the trail manager and they are going to be cutting them down to ground level so the danger is removed. Flytrap is the newest trail. I will break it down into three sections. It is an intermediate rated trail and I will rate it four stars based on the first third. The first third is fast and fun. No obstacles but it is a great ride. The second third I have only ridden a few times because to be honest I just don’t enjoy it. I have not ridden the final third as it was just completed and after talking to some people that have ridden it they said it was very rough and needs to be ridden in. Copper head is rated as an advanced trail however if you use the bypass at the obstacles it is an intermediate trail. I give this one three stars however if some of the changes I recommend following are completed I would give it five stars. There are two rock gardens that are ok. I don’t ride them much. Just not my thing. There are some wooden features such as jumps and elevated plank rides. One of the elevated rides is open on both sides so there is room for spotters to run along beside for riders that want to try it but want that safety net. The other is grown up around the sides so there is no room for spotters. I spoke with the trail manager about this trail. They are going to clear brush along the sides of the obstacles to allow room for spotters. Also they are going to add some easier obstacles. If you are going to ride the entire thing then start at canebrake, cross the road to gator. Gator will have a spot shortly after starting to go right and start copperhead. Copperhead loops back and you can hit the road to ride back to the parking lot or enter on gator. Gator dumps back on one of the roads. Turn right to head back to the parking lot. A short distance you will see the entrance to flytrap on the right. At the end of the first third you will cross the road that goes down to the kayak dock. Turn left here if you want to go back to the parking lot or ride the second third. This dumps you out on the main road that comes into the park. Turn left here to head back to the parking lot or continue across to ride the final third. This will dump you out on the road that goes on the right or east side of the parking lot. Turn left on the road when you exit the trail. This will bring you back to the parking lot. Also the trail manager said they are going to try and get approval to put in a skills park. This is a really park but it can and I believe will be so much better when those other things are completed. Contact cape fear sorba for info or if you want to volunteer.

Wed Nov 07 2018

Great trails with overlooks of Town Creek. A number of the trails are not found on this app, but trails are clearly marked.

Fri Nov 02 2018

We don't have much hiking in the Wilmington area, and this is the most rugged it gets. I trail run and mountain bike these trails. Bugs are bad, but if I am running or biking they can't keep up. Hiking is nice as long as it is not when bugs are bad.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Have walked this trail several times over the past few years while doing some geocaching in the area. It's a nice little walk but can be a bit buggy at times.