Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Bracken Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(91)
Bracken Preserve

Bracken Mountain Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,210 feet Route Type: Loop

Starting from the parking lot at Brevard music center, it’s uphil with no end in sight. Be ready to have your heart rate maxed out for a solid 30-40 minutes. I took braken trail to Mackey ridge and then to brushy creek trail. The down hill portion on brushy creek made the intense climb more than worth it. Check your cardio and check your brakes my friends.

Brutal uphill but incredible downhill. Spectacular views!! Definitely worth the climb. Would recommend and do it again!!

I only got to do a mile due to weather, but what I saw of this trail made me want to come back immediately. I felt like I was in a rainforest.

Done this trail a few times. But first time since winter. Trail is excellent. A few small waterfalls. No real views.

This is a great trail! May not have great views, but it’s so well marked, had a varied terrain and not crowded. We met a few Mtn bikers on trail today, but they were very courteous! This is our 3rd trip here and it’s been a pleasure each time. Highly recommended!

Great trail if you’re trying to avoid lots of climbs. Most ascents are gradual. Very well marked. Good for families. Did this during the lockdown so it was pretty empty. Looks like a terrific mtb trail although I didn’t see any. Not loads of views but some lovely stream crossings with nice bridges. Info markers scattered along the way make for good reading as well as updating your location. Options for added more distance are available with the trail to Burl Mtn as well as a spur of the Pinnacle trail. The Pinnacle trail is labeled as difficult. The parking lot to the Preserve was block when I drive up so I accessed it from Laurel Falls road. Took off about .9 miles

realistically, its just a trail , good workout but no views.

Good condition despite much wet weather.

I love to hike this trail even though there is no real exposed view. It is challenging I have hiked the blue trail all the way to the Pinnacle Trail.I doubled back to go down it was 6.5 miles and a great work out. I live in Brevard and appreciate its closeness to town. Have also hiked the blue to red trails which is prettier with a waterfall and creek crossings it snakes around and up in elevation. Shared path with bikers. Local gem.

Hiked up bracken Mountain Trail and on the way down took the Mackey Ridge shortcut. In the interest of time, did not take the Brushy Creek trail as it is 1.5 miles longer (2.4 vs. 0.9). Fairly nice trail. No view at the top.

great moderate hike in the woods. No mountain views .

What a lovely trail, moderate and well-maintained. We started from the parking lot which had ample space for about 10 cars and proceeded up the Bracken Mountain Trail to Brushy Creek Trail. Total round-trip was 5 miles and you see a couple of mini waterfalls along the way.

We did blue and red trail - about 5.5 miles, 2h 20 mins. Some good elevation at the beginning. Overall it was a good moderate hike but not much by way of views or varied scenery.

I went to the top going up the west side (blue blazes) and came back down on the east side of the loop (red blazes). It took me about 3 hours and I saw about a dozen hikers and bikers. Smooth trail. Next time I think I'll connect to FS Road 475C at the top and follow it down to the Fish Hatchery in Pisgah NF and get picked up there.

Only did the part of the blue trail that connected the parking lot with the red and yellow trails. Everything was extremely well marked with signs pointing out your location along the trail as well as historical or ecological information. Nice ~4 mile loop to take the blue trail up to the red trail, take that to the yellow trail, and descend back down the blue trail to the parking lot. There is a bit of elevation change. Saw some dogs and bikers.

Trail was beautiful. Clean, moderate hike.

Well marked trail with beautiful scenery. The path was very easy to follow and it wasn’t very crowded.

Mon May 06 2019

Trail is very well cared for. Even after a heavy rain you’ll see more tortoises than trail issues. The bikers are very courteous with good communication concerning other riders/runners/hikers or issues. Have seen a few snakes popping out of late and a particularly large timber rattler.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Nice little hike. Cool and rainy day so no one on the trail. Connects to Art Loeb and beyond so you can make the day as long as you like. Have to imagine it’s rather busy during the summer given the proximity to town.

Mon Aug 13 2018

The beta for this hike is pretty inaccurate and it’s almost like a person hiked part of it then turned back early for the recording. The full length of the Bracken trail is 4.2 miles to the top. If you do the loop at the brushy creek intersection, it’s a 6 mile loop. It’s a decent hike and the trail is reasonably well maintained. It took us right at 2 hours to complete the entire loop. My advice is to read the trail map before you start and along the way.

Mon Jun 25 2018

Nice hike. Starts off moderate but like the gentleman we met at the beginning said, it scares a lot of people away. We left at 8:15 and it was almost 10:00 before we met our first biker. Quite a few on this trail. The trail is marked very well until you get to the top. Either we missed the sign or there is none but we were about 10 minutes to the turn-off to Burl Mountain before we checked All Trails. Little farther than we planned but the walk was nice. Lots of rhododendrons and some creeks here and there.

Sun May 20 2018

Nicely shaded and dappled sunlight trail, easy to moderate, with pretty Mountain Laurel blooming this time of year. We choose to turn at Brushy Creek Trail and went as far as the wooden bridge where there were some cascades. Will return to try the longer round trip.