Boone Fork Trail

Boone Fork Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boone, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions from Lenoir, NC: Travel SR 90 west for 7 miles. Turn right on SR 1368 and go 3 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 2055.

22 minutes ago

Favorite hike! Love the multiple river crossings and beautiful rushing river views!

Being local, we love this trail. I will say that as we have seen people trying this, it's not for small children. It takes about 3-4 hours to hike depending on whether or not you like to stop and enjoy the scenery. As someone else mention, we prefer to take the left fork and work our way "backwards". In heavy rains the trail is often flooded, but it offers fun, multiple creek crossings, beautiful canopies of woodlands, several ladder climbs, steep inclines and a beautiful open meadow that is full of blackberries in the summer. Enjoy!!!

This trail is awesome. The trail entrance is behind the first bathroom building as you come into this parking lot. If you want to take the full loop, I recommend starting with the left fork. Go early in the morning (before 10am) to avoid crowds, but most seemed to be starting with the right fork. There were only a few times where it was really steep or I had to climb over rocks. Most of the trail is perfectly moderate and well cared for. At about mile 4 are some great areas to stop and eat on some giant rocks in the river.

love this loop, but it is the busiest spot I've been to in wnc (people and dogs) going counter clockwise trail starts out with waterfalls and swimming areas, after 1/2 to 3/4 miles traffic thins considerably. go straight through the campground and cross the street to add the price lake loop (super easy) for some spectacular views, and under 6 miles.

Fun trail. Lots of water. Not hard at all. One of my favs

Not an overly strenuous trail, but definitely worth it if you enjoy cascading waterfalls . Hebron falls is a great place where you can rock jump to the middle of the falls. Many other smaller falls along the way. We didn't see anyone else on the trail, but it was cooler and overcast all day. Does have a few small streams to cross, but all had rocks that you could jump between.

one of my favorite trails... done it numerous times and each hike delivers new treasures. The tree with the exposed roots reaching into the water at the watering hole holds a special place in my heart.

Sunny and 75 on a mid April Wednesday. I think everyone with dogs had the same idea. Nice trail and not to difficult. I wasn't aware there would be that many stream crossings but my Oboz B-Dry hiking shoes did the trick. Will definitely do it again. Maybe come at it from the Rich Mountain trail.

Loved this trail!!!!. Very pretty but also great workout. I would say is moderate with a few challenging spots. I had waterproof hiking boots so highly recommend you wear them.

Family and I are on a road trip and decided to stop and do this trail. It was challenging for the whole family and a huge accomplishment when we finished. Great fun and a good work out!

drove 7 hours to get here, was a great first hike of the week to introduce me to the area. smooth track majority of the way, small scrambles, a ladder, few bridges and stream crossings make up for the lack of " mountain views ". great views within the trail didn't walk down to Hebron falls due to lack of sunlight. highly recommended

This trail is one of my favorites! We love hiking it counter clock wise! I really wouldn’t consider this a hard trail....definitely moderate...maybe hard for those inexperienced with hiking but I’ve seen people of all ages and weights hiking this just fine. Beautiful waterfalls, streams, views and forests.

The app says it’s lightly trafficked, well it was doggone busy on the beautiful Saturday we went. And by doggone, I mean the dog hiker to human hiker ratio was almost even.
We loved the trail, this was the first time for us. Varied terrain meant varied challenges, while never becoming repetitive or monotonous. I think the hard rating is appropriate, however the trail never becomes too daunting. We definitely will be back!

What a great day for a hike. The portion through the campground should be better signed. That was for sure the worst part of the trail. I’m not sure what could be done to improve it other than better signage since it is what it is but there’s room for improvement for sure. Plan on taking your time to enjoy the hidden water falls. Take time to explore some of the meadows. Have fun.

wow! what a great trail run. creek crossings, constant rushing sound from streams and beautiful views. Hebron falls is a must see. can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

Hummmmm. I have a lot of thoughts about this trail. It does have a little bit of everything. The Hebron Falls were very pretty - although difficult to get to. I like a little of a challenge, but oh the MUD!!! This trail needs some major improvements. If they could “raise” the trail with gravel that would be a huge bonus. The ladder climbs are fun and different from most trails I have done. However the multiple stream crossings need (at least) a small bridge. The local scout troop could do that in a few weekends.
Overall okay trail. I was tired after I finished - although the day before I did Cone Manor (also ~6 miles) which is a much easier trail.

Nice Trail....It was a little busy but nothing too unexpected for an easier trail. Well maintained and easy to follow.

My gf and I along with our dog decided to make this our first hike. We are from a beachy city in Florida so this was definitely not our normal hike. It rained on us and was supper foggy for the first 45mins but cleared up a bit. Muddy and slick in some spots but nothing to crazy. The dog ran circles around us the entire time, she loved it just as much!

Not hard I promise! I see families with kids on this trail all the time. The environment is great though. There’s a lot of water and Hebron rock colony can be accessed from this route. This is a great hike to do in the summer bc there are a lot of good potential swimming holes. Julian price park gets crowded so get there early in the spring and summer months.

great trail, not that challenging except for the rocks.

Great hike on a cold morning. It was 15 degrees when we started. The majority of the hike was close to water which was a plus. We took a small sidetrack to view Hebron Falls and well worth it. Several stream crossing but nothing to be concerned about. Plan to take hike again in warmer weather.

excellent trail. lots of good views of small waterfalls and some good challenges for the moderate hiker. definitely a favorite hike. but, be careful at the end....going through the campground can be confusing, could be marked better.

Beautiful trail. Well marked and maintained. Had to stop and walk in several spots due to terrain. Probably not run for those without strong knees and ankles, but a really nice hike for most skill levels.

Went hiking with suz. Beautiful
Loop, definitely keeps the heart rate up but is casual. BEAUTIFUL views, a few places you can climb out on the rocks and there are little waterfalls. When we went some beavers had created a little pond that made it impossible to get to the trail about halfway through... (that is without taking off shoes and trudging through the mud) would like to go back and do the whole thing. Awesssommmee chillin water spots that would be nice for casual dips in the summer

This was my second time going. Love this hike because you get a little bit of everything. I went alone this time and pushed myself to see how fast I could do the loop...even went to Hebron Falls. I would recommend this and will do it again.

Beautiful trail, well kept and marked.

It was nice, the creek definitely made the hike. I am not at all sure why it is rated as “hard” rather than possibly moderate but pretty easy. Aside from needing to take large steps or a few rocky, but still easily navigated areas, it was a very simple trail that my kids and senior dog could handle with no trouble at all. It was enjoyable and we would do it again. We had a picnic on the rocks while watching the water.

Excellent trail. Exactly as described in all the reviews.

So, the reason we gave it 2 stars, not to be Eeyore, but it smelled terribly of dog poop, for long stretches of the path, so badly that you could dry heave...the initial section of the hike took us through a paved path through everyone's camp-site and it was strange...we finally got some peace coming across a beautiful meadow, onto a more serene section and finally reaching Hebron Falls which was the highlight of the hike- you can play around all over the rocks which was a joy! It's easy to take a wrong turn at the long, large bridge where the marker is past the actual turning point, needs to be moved-just a tip.

It amazes me that this trail is consider hard. It’s moderate best. Lovely from start to finish.
I do recommend starting the trail at the Right spur. It makes the journey to the rock colony so much more grand. It’s advisable to take time to explore the area throughly to sit and enjoy the wonder of the spilling water through the giant granite boulders with water spills through them