Boone Fork Trail

Boone Fork Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boone, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions from Lenoir, NC: Travel SR 90 west for 7 miles. Turn right on SR 1368 and go 3 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 2055.

1 minute ago

Nice Trail....It was a little busy but nothing too unexpected for an easier trail. Well maintained and easy to follow.

My gf and I along with our dog decided to make this our first hike. We are from a beachy city in Florida so this was definitely not our normal hike. It rained on us and was supper foggy for the first 45mins but cleared up a bit. Muddy and slick in some spots but nothing to crazy. The dog ran circles around us the entire time, she loved it just as much!

Not hard I promise! I see families with kids on this trail all the time. The environment is great though. There’s a lot of water and Hebron rock colony can be accessed from this route. This is a great hike to do in the summer bc there are a lot of good potential swimming holes. Julian price park gets crowded so get there early in the spring and summer months.

great trail, not that challenging except for the rocks.

Great hike on a cold morning. It was 15 degrees when we started. The majority of the hike was close to water which was a plus. We took a small sidetrack to view Hebron Falls and well worth it. Several stream crossing but nothing to be concerned about. Plan to take hike again in warmer weather.

excellent trail. lots of good views of small waterfalls and some good challenges for the moderate hiker. definitely a favorite hike. but, be careful at the end....going through the campground can be confusing, could be marked better.

Beautiful trail. Well marked and maintained. Had to stop and walk in several spots due to terrain. Probably not run for those without strong knees and ankles, but a really nice hike for most skill levels.

Went hiking with suz. Beautiful
Loop, definitely keeps the heart rate up but is casual. BEAUTIFUL views, a few places you can climb out on the rocks and there are little waterfalls. When we went some beavers had created a little pond that made it impossible to get to the trail about halfway through... (that is without taking off shoes and trudging through the mud) would like to go back and do the whole thing. Awesssommmee chillin water spots that would be nice for casual dips in the summer

This was my second time going. Love this hike because you get a little bit of everything. I went alone this time and pushed myself to see how fast I could do the loop...even went to Hebron Falls. I would recommend this and will do it again.

Beautiful trail, well kept and marked.

It was nice, the creek definitely made the hike. I am not at all sure why it is rated as “hard” rather than possibly moderate but pretty easy. Aside from needing to take large steps or a few rocky, but still easily navigated areas, it was a very simple trail that my kids and senior dog could handle with no trouble at all. It was enjoyable and we would do it again. We had a picnic on the rocks while watching the water.

Excellent trail. Exactly as described in all the reviews.

So, the reason we gave it 2 stars, not to be Eeyore, but it smelled terribly of dog poop, for long stretches of the path, so badly that you could dry heave...the initial section of the hike took us through a paved path through everyone's camp-site and it was strange...we finally got some peace coming across a beautiful meadow, onto a more serene section and finally reaching Hebron Falls which was the highlight of the hike- you can play around all over the rocks which was a joy! It's easy to take a wrong turn at the long, large bridge where the marker is past the actual turning point, needs to be moved-just a tip.

It amazes me that this trail is consider hard. It’s moderate best. Lovely from start to finish.
I do recommend starting the trail at the Right spur. It makes the journey to the rock colony so much more grand. It’s advisable to take time to explore the area throughly to sit and enjoy the wonder of the spilling water through the giant granite boulders with water spills through them

Excellent trail, but definitely very challenging for average hikers. The falls are beautiful all along the trail. We hiked on a wet and muddy day, so the rocks throughout the trail were pretty difficult to traverse. For experienced hikers, definitely a must go. We watched a bunch of folks turn around when the trail got tough.

Beautiful views and challenging climbs through rock faces and mountain laurels a plenty. Pretty easy until you get past Hebron Falls, then becomes harder. Great falls along the way. Felt like we went back in time. Definitely do again.

Gorgeous trail, very well maintained. Would be very easy for experienced hikers. Many magical places along the way to go off trail and explore.

went clockwise

Very well maintained trail. Very well marked. Last portion going through the campground is a little confusing. Buy wall art or license images of this trail @ http://mikekoenig.org/tag/boone-fork-trail/

Fun adventurous trail! Many areas to get off the trail and enjoy the river rapids or the sunshine on a huge boulder. Also loved the tunnel-like pathways, felt like a totally different world. Highly recommend going "backwards" along the trail, starting with mile 5 so you can get the boring walk through the campground out of the way and end on a high note! Took us about 3 hours with a few detours to enjoy the scenery.