Blackrock Mountain Trail

Blackrock Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Addie, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A lovely, diverse trail right off the BRP. Some areas were a bit overgrown with raspberries/blackberries but still totally passable. There is a bit of rock climbing necessary as you approach Blackrock that is technically challenging. Also this hike is longer than advertised- at least 6.5 miles round trip. Just keep going until you get to a rock summit that has 365 views!

Interesting features on this trail! We enjoyed the mossy and unique sites along the way. I’m rating this lower because of all the obstacles we faced. Down trees and the paths were NOT maintained! Thick brush, thorns and nothing to help muddy slopes like other trafficked trails as this one claims as moderate. The yellow/purple markings helped us to know we’re on the right track. The trail says its dog friendly. I would have to say we have small dogs who could easily navigate but we had to help on that last climb.. bigger dogs you can’t pick up would have a hard time and could easily slip. We abandoned the last few feet up a steep rock (we literally had to climb) so disappointedly we didn’t view black rocks summit. Do not bring dogs if you want this and really be careful! On a nice day for experienced hikers who like a rugged experience, it’s great!

Very scenic trail. Started out with significant cloud cover blocking the views, but that quickly cleared to amazing views. Only made it about 1/4 the way due to very slippery conditions all around, would definitley do again in dryer conditions.

The trail had several blowdowns to climb around and over. Nice trail with several views.

Agree with previous reviews pretty much. To me a more moderate trail with some strenuous sections. Didn't see a soul. What made it most difficult was downed trees due to damage from hurricane remnants. Can get a map at water rock knob visitor center on BRP. Three good views along the way Can go past peak at 2.2 miles to other attractions if desire such as pinnacle. Parked at waterrock knob parking area. Had to hike quickly. Was later in the day. Left around four and returned at 7:30. Enjoyed myself.

Beautiful view when you reach the top. Paved much of the way with natural rock steps. Well maintained.

Awesome trail. I went this past Sunday, after Irma came through. Tress down everywhere. Blocking the trail in some key spots. It made for a very interesting afternoon. I agree with other reviews, this trail is more moderate to difficult. Technical in a few spots. If you are not used to hiking, please stay alert as it is easy to lose the trail. The summit is totally worth it. Make sure you go far enough- 2.2miles. The only other people I saw all day, a couple, stopped short of the summit.

This hike was amazing! If you're not familiar with the area, you will want to park at the overlook right before the Waterrock Knob area. The trail isn't super obvious from the road, but once you walk down the hill from the parking lot you can't miss it right in front of you. The trail itself keeps you guessing and is nicely shaded with many different features. In terms of difficulty level, I would say there are some pretty technical areas and would generally air on the moderate to strenuous side vs. moderate. Overall, this is a new favorite!

Beautiful scenery and views with large rock outcroppings along the way. Moderate terrain, at times partially strenuous. Loved it! Will do it again

This is a great trail. Easygoing, but enough variety and views to make the hike interesting.

Friday, July 28, 2017

One of my favorite hikes. I rarely have seen other hikers on it. The trail is skinny, but the view at the end is beautiful!! There's a campsite about 1.5 miles in I've camped at before.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Beautiful vista but not a wide trail in many areas. Great for getting away from everything as we didn't see another person the entire time. I would go again.

recorded Track - Sep 30, 05:18 PM