Black Rock Mountain via Fisher Creek

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(41)
Pinnacle Park

Black Rock Mountain via Fisher Creek is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sylva, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,765 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Toughest hike, but the view is totally worth it.

Went on a Sunday afternoon. only a half-dozen cars in the parking lot. Hiking in the forest the whole way up so lots of shade but no views until the very top. Consistent incline and the last ".6" miles (felt like more) are particularly challenging. There are a couple "false" rocks on the way to black rock, which is an amazing panorama

Steep trail leads to spectacular view. A bit of a scramble at the top.

Fri May 03 2019

Great trail right now. Lots of wildflowers. Lots of water, so the falls are rocking. I had a late start and ran out of daylight. I also killed my cellphone battery taking pictures.

Mon Apr 29 2019

not an easy hike bit worth it. went the west side up and the east down. the east part was fine till about half way when it went from old logging road and appeared to disappear. Very disheartening as was quite worn out at that point. Climbed over several fallen trees and followed a very small foot trail that eventually opened up to a logging road again bear the bottom. Just be prepared if you plan to go the east route. Well worth it. If you bring your dog be prepared to leave it at the bottom of black rock and climb up a steep Rock face for a fantastic view. Dont want to be negative but want you prepared. am going back to compare my endurance as.I have been increasing my hikes. The climb the first 2 miles and the last 3/4 really tested me before. Looking foward to seeing if I can conquer it now!

Tue Oct 16 2018

Arrived at the trailhead parking around 7:30 AM to an empty lot. There is a map board with permit blanks to complete. No fee but contributions accepted. The lot is small but adequate. You have two options to the top. West Fork is the main trail. It appears to be an old logging road. East Ridge Trail, to the right is more a foot path. I took the West Fork. It starts out with a fair grade up. The trail is loose rock for the first 1.9 miles. Several creek crossings and small waterfalls. You quickly come to a huge rock that has cracked in half. The trail flattens out at the 2 mile point and is an easy hike to the 3 mile point where the trail takes a sharp turn to the left and up. the trail is more of a foot path. I put away the hiking poles and made my way up. Continue past the large rock outcropping to the left or right. The summit ends at a large rock to climb up on top. 360 views is the payoff. I was there on an overcast day so no pictures. I would rate this hike moderate for the first 3.2 miles and hard for the last .3 miles due to the steep climb to the top.

Wed Aug 01 2018

ditto to Casey! Great Hike!

Wed Aug 01 2018

We really enjoyed this hike. Beautiful creek views, forest fauna, flora and more butterflies than you can count in early August. Hard is an accurate rating for this hike, especially the last .6 of a mile to the summit. It was raining when we got there but we could see how great the views would be if it were a clear day. Brought the dog and she loved it. We would recommend this hike, but it is a lot of work so come prepared and ready to have some fun.

Mon Dec 04 2017

This is an outstanding hike, however it is not for the faint of heart. I only recorded the track in one direction so the milage is really more like 7 miles. The elevation gain is 2752. The most important thing to know about this hike is that the AllTrails black dotted line headed to the top of Black Rock is off by a bit. I think there must have been a path there at some point, but we couldn't follow it. There is a well established trail about 1/4 mile to the east, heading towards the Blue Ridge Parkway and then turning left uphill towards the top of the mounting. The sings are easy to follow. The views from the top are amazing! 320 degrees or so.