Black Mountain Crest Trail

Black Mountain Crest Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a point to point trail starting at Bowlens Creek Road and Ending at the Mt Mitchell Summit parking area or vice versa. Some find it easiest to start from the top. The trail follows the Mt Mitchell Ridge for the first 7 miles, traversing the largest collection of 6,000 ft peaks in the Eastern US. From Celo Knob, the trail descends about 3500 feet to Bowlens Creek. A car shuttle or drop off is recommended and parking is available at both the Mt Mitchell and Bowlens Creek trailheads.

14 minutes ago

Awesome views at each peak! Definitely do this as a two day, one night hike to make sure that you see everything.

Lots of incredible views , much of the trail is over 6,000 ft.

Hiked last weekend. Snow, wind, elevation and an all around great experience.

Hiked with my daughter age 9 from Bowlens creek off of Watershed RD. Hiked to deep Gap day 1. It was 8 miles and 4000 feet of elevation gain (7 hours) then day 2 hiked to Mt Mitchell Summit 3.8 miles approx 2000 ft of elevation gain (5 hours) so in total your pushing 12 miles and approx 6000 ft of elevation gain. Most brining in the first 4 miles but there are a few more big climbs along the way.

The trail it's self is the hardest we have encountered. We have done a lot of hiking, always trying to find the toughest trails and take them on. (This one is the toughest) not a starter hike.

Another obstacle was getting a ride to the trail head. I parked my car at the upper parking area and needed to catch a ride to the trail head at bowlens creek. I called several shuttle services but none covered that specific area. I ended up finding (Yancey County Transportation Authority) 828 682- 6144. I scheduled my ride a week in advance for $21 per person. The bus was nice and the driver gave lots of facts and cool stories about the trail and mountain range. I highly recommend going this route.

In summary this trail goes over 7 summits over 6000 feet it is one of the hardest in the east. It is very rewarding with awesome views and some major changes in scenery along the route. If you are looking for a challenge Go For It. If you are uncertain of you physical abilities or are inexperienced choose another route.

Also don't judge this review based off the fact that I did it with my 9 year old daughter
She is also an experienced hiker/ climber. I would not recommend not bringing young children on this trail unless they have been training for it and you are sure of their physical ability and capability to climb and move through rocky and rough terrain.

The last thing I will leave you with is bring lots of water. We went in November when it was cold carrying more than a gallon of water per person and still ran out in the last mile.

I extended my hike (back in March) to Mt. Craig and back after coming up to the top of Mt. Mitchell on the Old Mitchell Trail, getting in the summits of the two highest peaks east of the Mississippi River on the same hike. I definitely want to hike this trail again so I can go out much further. Lots of fun!

My 15 year old son and I hiked the trail 10/1/16 starting from Mt. Mitchell parking lot at the Deep Gap Trailhead. Our plan included hiking out to Celo Knob and back, seeking out the engraved benchmarks at the highest point of each peak along the way (we're doing the SB6K Challenge). I believe I'm in very good shape at 48 years old and my son has been conditioning with his high school football team for 8 weeks. We didn't anticipate the nearly 14 mile round trip to be quite as difficult as it was...but this was the most strenuous/grueling physical activity I've undertaken to date. We would highly recommend this trail though. It was an accomplishment we will not soon forget. There were some beautiful views!

For those of you looking to find the benchmark medallions on top of each peak, good luck! I think GPS coordinates would be the way to go, if they exist and you have a portable GPS unit. We scoured the top of Celo Knob and couldn't find the benchmark. It was difficult to find just where the top of Gibbs Mountain was to begin searching for the benchmark there. We struck out at Balsam Cone as well.

Excellent trail, well maintained, a lot of elevation changes, a ton of stone steps.

Great short day hike over to Mt. Craig with amazing views. Beyond that the trail gets a little more difficult due to less use and less trail maintenance. Of course that is all the more reason to go for many of us.