Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail

Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newland, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Moderately difficult trail mainly due to wash out along the trail. Views at the end were great. Hiked early on a Saturday morning and only saw 2 other groups. Very limited parking at the trail head (maybe 4-5 spots). Trail forks near the end, stay left. Enjoyed the hike but will explore other trails in the area next time

Easy/Moderate hike to incredible view.

Absolutely adored this hike. Definitely uphill both ways, but manageable for an avid hiker. Lightly trafficked. The view was fabulous, probably one of my new favorite spots in Western North Carolina.

Great view at the end! Like it has been mentioned, tough at the beginning and the end.

Amazing view. Worth the hike. Limited parking. Very few hikers on trail

This is a sweet trail. Fairly easy. Great views of Grandfather Mountain linn cove viaduct

short easy well worth it-must do every season. first 1/4 mile or so is uphill and rocky but not as steep as harpers falls. then coast 1.5 to beautiful views

Loved it! Not too strenuous but still burned some calories. View at the end well worth it. Some kind souls have placed logs on the WRONG paths, obey them. Beautiful view at the end.

Cool rock formations and views at the end. Moderate is accurate because of the beginning and end, both are steep, but the rest is pretty flat and easy.

I gave it a five because of the views although the trail is listed as moderate I would rate it a very hard moderate because of the shape of the trail , well worth the effort

Beautiful hike, not too strenuous either though I do agree with the split in the trail can be somewhat difficult to differentiate where it splits, but once you reach the top completely worth it. We did come across a rattlesnake near the top on our way back down, while hiking here about a month ago! Just be cautious:)

This is a nice hike in a nice forest and the end you have a great view of the mountains. Parking is somewhat limited at the trailhead some of the trailmarking is gone probably due to some fire damage. The map is good, but before the view there is a split of the trails: keep left

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The views at the end of the trail are breathtaking. The scenery along the way is nice too. We saw dozens of different mushrooms. Also appreciate that it is secluded and lightly trafficked.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

fantastic views, mainly easy in and out once you get past the first and last quarterish of a mile

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Moderate hike with an AMAZING view! The trail is a bit rough in some places, but well worth the hike. I took my 12 year old on the trail and she completed it with ease. This is definitely a trail I will hike again.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Very limited parking at the trail entrance so just be aware. Good trail overall and the view is totally worth the hike. Some parts are very washed out so weary with smaller kids. Also, just keep following the yellow markers to keep on path.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Follow yellow marks, took about 75 minutes one way from trailhead to overview. Some of the hike was over the spine of a ridge allowing glimpses of views to either side (early spring, few leaves) otherwise mainly a wooded hike. You can see Grandfather Mountain off in the distance.Would hike again.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Just completed this trail yesterday and really enjoyed the overlook. Only issue we faced as newcomers to the trail was when the trail splits at three different points which was confusing. The first split on the trail has a tree with a yellow trail mark on the right path so we went right. The next split was further down where the forest opens up with visibility and we chose to go left. The last split in the trail was almost 100 ft away from the overlook so even though we went left again I doubt going right would not bring you to another overlook location, but don't take my word for it. We arrived at the overlook after about an hour of steady pace and most of these pictures posted just can't do the view justice. Highly recommend this trail for a short day hike and be wary that the parking near the trail head only allows for 4 car spaces approximately.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Some pretty good washouts but some fantastic scenery awaits anyone taking this trail. Pretty crazy to see a couple horses back there!

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Easy to moderate hike with a nice view at the top end.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

This is my favorite trail so far. Not only are the views amazing, but you will more than likely not encounter people. The trail is hidden on a dirt road that has a few spots for parking. It's a bit rugged, the rain has washed out a good portion of the trail. It's a forested trail until you get to a clear opening revealing the view of the mountains. Also, be cautious of rattlesnakes. Did not come across any myself, but came across a guy studying them on one of the cliffs.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

great trail and not crowded at all due to remote locale that not a lot of people know about. fantastic view at the end.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails. Although it's gotten harder grouch out the years. We took our 3.5 year old and she did pretty good. The beginning is really washed out and a bit steep but it's fairly short. A lot of the trail is narrow as well. Could use a clean out. The views at the end are breathtaking. When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" it has always been there. A hike I've been doing since I was being carried in a pack. 30 years later sharing it with my family was special.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The trail is steep uphill, then steep downhill to the cliffs with one easy and fairly level mid section. The steep parts are washed out like ditches making the trail a little difficult here and there. Great views down in the cove with Grandfather Mountain in the background. Plenty of space on the rocks for a break and to take in the views. Well worth the effort!

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Trail was pretty hard and was muddy the day we went. But WOW at the view once you reach the top

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Beautiful views of Grandfather Mountain from large rock formations. Saw a Peregrine Falcon! Fall views were so colorful. Easy hike in and out.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Great views, great to add this trail if your jumping from trail to trail as it can be done quickly depending on endurance and skull level. I prefer this hike in the fall/ winter months for the views alone!

recorded b