Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail

Big Lost Cove Cliffs Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newland, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until October.

The views at the end of the trail are breathtaking. The scenery along the way is nice too. We saw dozens of different mushrooms. Also appreciate that it is secluded and lightly trafficked.

fantastic views, mainly easy in and out once you get past the first and last quarterish of a mile

Moderate hike with an AMAZING view! The trail is a bit rough in some places, but well worth the hike. I took my 12 year old on the trail and she completed it with ease. This is definitely a trail I will hike again.

Very limited parking at the trail entrance so just be aware. Good trail overall and the view is totally worth the hike. Some parts are very washed out so weary with smaller kids. Also, just keep following the yellow markers to keep on path.

Follow yellow marks, took about 75 minutes one way from trailhead to overview. Some of the hike was over the spine of a ridge allowing glimpses of views to either side (early spring, few leaves) otherwise mainly a wooded hike. You can see Grandfather Mountain off in the distance.Would hike again.

Just completed this trail yesterday and really enjoyed the overlook. Only issue we faced as newcomers to the trail was when the trail splits at three different points which was confusing. The first split on the trail has a tree with a yellow trail mark on the right path so we went right. The next split was further down where the forest opens up with visibility and we chose to go left. The last split in the trail was almost 100 ft away from the overlook so even though we went left again I doubt going right would not bring you to another overlook location, but don't take my word for it. We arrived at the overlook after about an hour of steady pace and most of these pictures posted just can't do the view justice. Highly recommend this trail for a short day hike and be wary that the parking near the trail head only allows for 4 car spaces approximately.

Some pretty good washouts but some fantastic scenery awaits anyone taking this trail. Pretty crazy to see a couple horses back there!

Easy to moderate hike with a nice view at the top end.

This is my favorite trail so far. Not only are the views amazing, but you will more than likely not encounter people. The trail is hidden on a dirt road that has a few spots for parking. It's a bit rugged, the rain has washed out a good portion of the trail. It's a forested trail until you get to a clear opening revealing the view of the mountains. Also, be cautious of rattlesnakes. Did not come across any myself, but came across a guy studying them on one of the cliffs.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

great trail and not crowded at all due to remote locale that not a lot of people know about. fantastic view at the end.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails. Although it's gotten harder grouch out the years. We took our 3.5 year old and she did pretty good. The beginning is really washed out and a bit steep but it's fairly short. A lot of the trail is narrow as well. Could use a clean out. The views at the end are breathtaking. When I close my eyes and go to my "happy place" it has always been there. A hike I've been doing since I was being carried in a pack. 30 years later sharing it with my family was special.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The trail is steep uphill, then steep downhill to the cliffs with one easy and fairly level mid section. The steep parts are washed out like ditches making the trail a little difficult here and there. Great views down in the cove with Grandfather Mountain in the background. Plenty of space on the rocks for a break and to take in the views. Well worth the effort!

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Trail was pretty hard and was muddy the day we went. But WOW at the view once you reach the top