Bent Creek Network: Wolf Branch Loop

Bent Creek Network: Wolf Branch Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,003 feet Route Type: Loop

Bent Creek Recreational Area features many trails ranging from beginner to expert. Dogs are also able to use these trails but must be kept on a leash. The Park includes a small stream and a larger lake for fishing. Easy trail around a beautiful mountain lake.

great trails through this area. lots of weekend use with mostly great people. there are often people with uncontrolled and dangerous dogs off leash

Basic open trails. A lot of mountain bikes on the trails. A good easy hike with wide trails.

By taking some side trails I got an 11 mile hike out of starting at Bent Creek trailhead. Some elevation gain so a good workout can be had. The path is mostly on old timber roads through an "experimental growth forest" so it is very interesting to follow the forestry signs along the way. Not as good as the further out of Asheville hikes in the Pisagh, but if a little shorter on time it's worth the walk.

If you’re a MTB don’t do this trail in the direction advised. You’ll be disappointed with a easy gravel dissent. Do it the opposite direction for a more fun technical dissent.

It’s a good long steady climb up a gravel road then a sharp turn to head back down the mountain. I’m relatively new to mountain biking and the way down gave me everything I could handle, wouldn’t recommend for those newer or not comfortable doing some intense downhills. Heavily trafficked on weekends so lots of other riders (mostly really experienced riders) so it can get pretty congested.

it was still exercise for me and my beagle, and time in the woods, but I have a hard time calling walking on gravel hiking. rice pinnacle road is pretty boring, and exposed to sun, no canopy. 1 partial view. after rice pinnacle it's more like hiking. I have no problem with sharing trail with bikers, but if you do, find a different area. near the end of hike, just before rice pinnacle road, I came upon a big 300+ pound mama bear and 2 Cubs. way too close 15-20', thankfully her cubs were on her side of trail. I didnt get between. I was too concerned with my dog and I surviving to attempt taking any photos.

Great trail. I used the All Trail app to get off the regular path and follow a few sketchier goat trails. One was pretty steep and had been washed over pretty good with rain. It was a great adventure. Ended with 9.1 miles. Health app showed 70 flights climbed.

great scenery

Great trail ! I am new to hiking and wanted to see if I could do this trail. The acsent was a steady climb and the review was spot on. I totally enjoyed myself. The trail was not over whelming for a new hiker.

Great trail! Getting our dog use to hiking and the wide trails made that so much easier!

Really nice walk. Wasnt able to do the whole trail got there late, but great start to the season!!

Fun trail! Nice run where you can, kinda muddy in some parts. Beautiful scenery, good weather, definitely will be back!

took my dog for a walk, this area was amazing. plan to return again next weekend.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Lots of trails intertwine all around this network, and there is plenty to take in. Lots of bikers, but my dog didn’t seem to mind them, and they didn’t mind my dog. I’d go back.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Trail i is used for mountain biking so pay attention. Many root systems to watch out for. A very pleasant well maintained trail. Views are normal Forrest views. But I only walked in a mile or so.

Tue Oct 16 2018

Great walk through the forest. Was expecting an overlook view once I got to the top but there wasn’t one. Be careful of the mountain bikers! On a busy day it could be dangerous

Mon Oct 08 2018

Great single track in most spots especially after the long climb up Pinnacle road. I missed a couple of turns, some areas lacked markers. Overall, awesome ride.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Great trail, look forward to doing it again.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Half the trail is pea gravel. The other half is over rocks and stumps. It’s intense. Good ride.

Thu Jul 19 2018

The area is nice for mountain biking. There’s quite a network of trails, some harder than others. Good for a day of riding when DuPont is not an option.

Thu Jul 12 2018

Great trail for mountain biking! (And, there is heavy bike traffic.) I was walking and trail running. Parts of this trail are on a gravel road. Look at photos so you know what you're getting into. No mountain views. Wooded forest area. What I found most cool is that this trail goes through the Bent Experimental Forest (Pisgah National Forest), and there were interpretive signs explaining various types of forest management: single tree selection, group selection, clear cut, etc. If you are interested in forest management practices, definitely check this network of trails out. The loop I did (see recorded) provided a 4.2 mile walk. In retrospect, the descent at the end was fairly hard (on my knees!), and I wouldn't choose to do it that way again. I should have consulted the topography better before selecting the route.

Tue Jul 03 2018

The trail through dense woods, did not provide many scenic views, and is mostly used by mountain bikers. The bike traffic made for hiking uncomfortable at times and I expected more views of the surrounding hills.

Sun Jun 24 2018

This trail takes you through a beautiful forest. It is easy, quiet, and lovely.

Sat Apr 07 2018

Relaxing hike close to Asheville NC. The hike up is moderately challenging with a few views from the woods. The trip down is mostly along an old fire access road with nicer views, but is quite easy and a bit boring.

Sat Mar 31 2018

Really liked this one. Very pretty. Trails were super well-maintained. Markers say “more difficult” but it’s really not bad at all

Sun Dec 24 2017

Not many hikers and only a few hikers. Very easy hike.

Thu Dec 21 2017