Bearwallow Mountain Trail

Bearwallow Mountain Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gerton, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hike the Bearwallow Mountain Trail to the scenic mountain summit Trail begins beyond an old, rusted gate; walk around it and look for the beginning of the trail on the right. Once inside the gate, locate the trail to the right of the gravel road. The trail switchbacks several times to begin its climb upon entering the forest. At 0.4 mi., ascend a set of elaborate, switchbacked rock stairs constructed by the Carolina Mountain Club Friday Crew. The trail switchbacks sharply at 0.5 mi. and levels out to provide a breather as it curves around Bearwallow's western ridge. Once on the mountain's northern slopes, climb several more sets of rock stairs at 0.7 mi. At 0.8 mi., the trail emerges into Bearwallow's beautiful mountaintop meadow; in summer, you will share the grassy bald with cattle. Intersect the gravel road just beyond and walk it to its end at the summit and fire tower.

Quick little hike to a hilltop view. However, quite a lot of power lines and communication towers. Not a bad family jaunt, though.

Gorgeous, short, moderately strenuous hike through beautiful flower filled woods up to a huge meadow and 360 views. Excellent afternoon walk for families.

Great trail..with lots for everyone to enjoy..

Nice trail. Easy access. Beautiful view at the top.

The trail is marked well, a big meadow at the top is nice, sat and had lunch.

We hiked this from the trailhead up the mountain. the trail climbs quite a bit. The mountain top was really nice and a great place for lunch. Make sure you go to the fire tower. We took the gravel road back and saw several good caves among the boulders that would be great bear dens.

This is a great, well maintained trail. The climb up the trail will test your calves and determination a bit but it's very doable. You'll walk through beautiful scenery, big boulders, and find the occasional view on the way up. The trail is marked well. It starts and the gate and goes to the right at the metal trail pole. You can take the gravel road up but I wouldn't. We went up the trail and came back down the gravel road to cover the entire hike. The top is open and beautiful with room for kites, picnics, and laying out on the ground. Go up to the fire tower and hand a hammock in the trees to the right of it. There's also a big fire pit to the right of the tower. Make sure they allow fires so call and check before you do this! Overall, a very nice enjoyable hike. See my video on youtube. Link in bio.

Nice hike. Lots of icicles this time of year still. The views on the bald are really nice however the power lines and cell tower are a distracting disappointment.

Great, short hike to a bald mountain with incredible views. Our pups loved it! Only regret is that we didn’t bring lunch and games to hang out longer at the top!

Next time I go, I am taking a lunch and having it on the Summit. Nice grassy area and a good view, Have Fun!

After a January snowfall and subsequent melt the trail to the summit was gooey mud. However, the wintertime views from the meadow summit were well worth the slog, especially the view down the gorge to Lake Lure. We hiked back down the road, much quicker and easier, alongside sheets of ice and massive icicles extruding from the roadside rocks.

Well maintained trail with incredible summit views.

Special surprise at the top. I agree that this is not hard, but definitely worth checking out. the drive to the trailhead is beautiful.

I would not consider it hard, but it was a great little hike

Great trail. Well kept and a great hike. Clouds obscured the view today but it was still well worth the climb.

This was a nice little hike with a great 360. Degree view, there was plenty of fall colors on the drive up here.

Fantastic hike. Oct 15th great colors. I made a loop out of it. Took the foot trail up and the the gravel road down. very nice views!

I've been to Bearwallow four times now and I will go again many more times. One of the greatest aspects about Bearwallow is that it has two options for people to hike/run up. The gravel road on the left is very open and the easier one of the routes. When I go there to run, I choose the gravel road. Anyone who has trouble with more rugged landscapes should go up the gravel road. As for the other route, that one is an actual trail. It was great fun with spectacular scenery. You can tell the trees are older which gives the forest a unique energy. It's really not hard like the App says it is. I would rate it as a moderate difficulty.
No matter which way you choose to go up you're going to be met with a great open vista at the top. The whole moutain top has been completely cleared of trees and a person can see for many miles. However, there are radio/cell towers, an abandon guard tower, and an old power line that detracts from the full nature immersion. There could also be cows up there because hey why not, but those things don't take too much away from the mountains majesty.

As for the crowds, it's been a hit or miss for me. The first time I went in November 2016, I saw at least thirty people. The second and third time I saw less than five, but the last time I went I had the whole mountain to myself which was awesome! I recommend you trying to time it right so that you reach the top near sunset. That was my favorite time.

Hope you enjoy!!!

Cows and amazing views at the top!

Would not call this trail hard, but I enjoyed it

This trail is not "hard". I would say more like easy to moderate. My 3 year-old led the way the whole way up. Awesome, family friendly hike with a gentle gradual incline through the woods and then opening up to a gorgeous bald at the top.

Today was our first trip to Bearwallow. The drive up is great and parking is easy. As far as short hikes go, this one is nice. It wasn't difficult at all, though I will say that it probably isn't a great option for those who aren't good with stairs/steep areas. The views at the top were quite lovely. It was serene up there, and the cows were off hanging out in the shade when we arrived. I appreciated the review I read before going that said we could take the service road back down, as that's the way we ended up going back to the car because so many people seemed to be coming up when we started back down. It was a holiday, so the trail was busy with lots of boisterous patrons. We prefer quiet in the woods, so I'll make a note not to travel this seemingly popular spot at a busy time next time.

Wouldn't say it's a hard hike. My 5 year old and I did it.

Excellent short hike.

Fun little hike with a beautiful summit. The cows were cool and the trail was not difficult.

It was a nice moderate hike. Two sets of views at the summit with cows sharing the peace. Pretty neat place

Definitely not "hard" as described by All Trails. It was okay, but I don't know that I would do it again. There is a nice view overlooking the city, but the towers and cow poo are a huge negative, in my opinion.

This is a great trail to go for a quick walk on. The only problem is all the Cow poop at the summit. Otherwise a very nice trail with panoramic views. I do not really think that this is hard. probably easy to moderate.

Friday, June 23, 2017

definitely not a "hard" trail. great view and easy to get to. don't have to spend all day on the parkway, especially if you leave near Hendersonville

Friday, June 16, 2017

Really don't see why this trail is considered hard, I would say easy-moderate, but the payoff is great. If you're concerned about the climb, take the side road up, I think it might be easier on the knees. Top opens up to a bald with great almost-360 views. Solid place for a picnic!