Bearwallow Mountain Trail

Bearwallow Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hendersonville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Hike the Bearwallow Mountain Trail to the scenic mountain summit Trail begins beyond an old, rusted gate; walk around it and look for the beginning of the trail on the right. Once inside the gate, locate the trail to the right of the gravel road. The trail switchbacks several times to begin its climb upon entering the forest. At 0.4 mi., ascend a set of elaborate, switchbacked rock stairs constructed by the Carolina Mountain Club Friday Crew. The trail switchbacks sharply at 0.5 mi. and levels out to provide a breather as it curves around Bearwallow's western ridge. Once on the mountain's northern slopes, climb several more sets of rock stairs at 0.7 mi. At 0.8 mi., the trail emerges into Bearwallow's beautiful mountaintop meadow; in summer, you will share the grassy bald with cattle. Intersect the gravel road just beyond and walk it to its end at the summit and fire tower.

Would not call this trail hard, but I enjoyed it

This trail is not "hard". I would say more like easy to moderate. My 3 year-old led the way the whole way up. Awesome, family friendly hike with a gentle gradual incline through the woods and then opening up to a gorgeous bald at the top.

Today was our first trip to Bearwallow. The drive up is great and parking is easy. As far as short hikes go, this one is nice. It wasn't difficult at all, though I will say that it probably isn't a great option for those who aren't good with stairs/steep areas. The views at the top were quite lovely. It was serene up there, and the cows were off hanging out in the shade when we arrived. I appreciated the review I read before going that said we could take the service road back down, as that's the way we ended up going back to the car because so many people seemed to be coming up when we started back down. It was a holiday, so the trail was busy with lots of boisterous patrons. We prefer quiet in the woods, so I'll make a note not to travel this seemingly popular spot at a busy time next time.

Wouldn't say it's a hard hike. My 5 year old and I did it.

Excellent short hike.

Fun little hike with a beautiful summit. The cows were cool and the trail was not difficult.

It was a nice moderate hike. Two sets of views at the summit with cows sharing the peace. Pretty neat place

Definitely not "hard" as described by All Trails. It was okay, but I don't know that I would do it again. There is a nice view overlooking the city, but the towers and cow poo are a huge negative, in my opinion.

This is a great trail to go for a quick walk on. The only problem is all the Cow poop at the summit. Otherwise a very nice trail with panoramic views. I do not really think that this is hard. probably easy to moderate.

definitely not a "hard" trail. great view and easy to get to. don't have to spend all day on the parkway, especially if you leave near Hendersonville

Really don't see why this trail is considered hard, I would say easy-moderate, but the payoff is great. If you're concerned about the climb, take the side road up, I think it might be easier on the knees. Top opens up to a bald with great almost-360 views. Solid place for a picnic!

A nicely laid out and well maintained. Lots of switchbacks keep the climb from being too steep. In early June we were treated to beautiful flame azaleas and ferns along the way. The trail opens up to beautiful 360 degree views at top, only somewhat marred by cell phone towers. Option to return by way of gravel road.