Bartram Trail: Jones Gap to Whiterock Mountain

Bartram Trail: Jones Gap to Whiterock Mountain is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Highlands, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

you may need 4wd to get to the trailhead from the south. you can take goldmine road from the north. there is a sign for the spur up to jones gap. either way this is an easy and awesome hike and worth the effort. the spur trail to the top of the pluton is almost all solid rock. the view from the whiterock cliffs is amazing. my GPS said it was 4.5 miles round trip.

Do not follow AllTrails directions for parking-it is a one lane secluded road that takes you to the trailhead but didn't see a place to park other than possibly somebody's house. We drove back down and parked at main parking at the Osage overlook. We hiked up to scaly mountain (2miles) then went another 2 miles for a total of 8 round trip. Definitely recommend hiking shoes as there is a creekbed to walk through and my tennis shoes got soaked (hubbies hiking boots did great) This is moderate hike with a few tricky places. Nice view from scaly mountain summit but didn't see much after that (I think we almost made it to a campsite but turned around prior). Only saw two other people hiking so very secluded. It took us 4 hours to hike 8 miles even though we are in good shape.

First solo hike for me. It wasn't too long or hard to follow. There is a first overlook that's incredible and then the one at the top has several that you can sit and enjoy for a good period of time.

Nice secluded trail with great views. Do not follow the directions given by the app though. http://southernhighroads.org/north-carolina/attractions/highlands/hiking...bartram-trail-jones-gap-to-whiterock-mountain this website has the correct directions.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

The trail head labeled Bartram Trail, found out we were on Scaly Mountain Trail. But the Hike was great. Great views on top and the trail is the right amount of difficulty for it to still be fun. I would hike this trail again.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My son and I enjoyed this trail, weather was great (just shy of a record high for January). The terrain is family friendly for the most part. Got some nice photos of the falls at about a third of the way in. Will be back!

Monday, September 20, 2010

This trail is amazing. I set out to find a trail in the mountains, that had majestic views and wasn't going to kick my butt too bad. THIS IS IT. my girlfriend and I took a 2 day camping trip to the Bartram Trail. Starting at Jones Gap (3500 ft elev) we hiked up Jones Knob (4622ft) Whiterock Mt (4480ft) abd Little Fishhawk (4642ft) where we finally camped on a bluff and it was some of the coolest, and yet also easiest hiking/camping to date. There were so many outlooks into the mountains and if one were to just go from the trail head to the third gap, it takes less than an hour, but i highly recommend hiking to the summits. This adds over 2 miles of extra hiking but it is so worth every step.