Bartram Falls Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bryson City, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,437 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

Ok.. I gave it a 5 star but only because I was looking for a challenge and this delivered. I really enjoyed this and felt accomplished after. NOT FOR A CASUAL HIKE. Quick notes: - You have to have water shoes. It crosses the creek about a dozen times. Almost none can you play frogger to get across dry. - You might want poles or a walking stick. The creek crossings can be slippery and the way down on the dry section is slippery due to the incline. - If you are sensitive to poison ivy (me) you need long pants that dry quick. Like most of NC it’s abundant at the lower part of the incline. - You must download maps before you leave home. Zero service, I mean absolutely no service on the trail or within 30 mins of the trailhead. I came down TN 128 and went 1 1/2 hrs with no service taking that route before I got to trailhead. There were 50ft where I had one bar up the incline. I used my satellite Garmin Inreach to text most of the day. - Not sure what the last poster missed but the trail was easily accessed to the right once you pull in, it’s up behind the elevated picnic tables. The first 300 yards or so do get confusing once you get on the trail some but it’s more of an issue returning to make sure you branch back off the main trail to the feeder trail over the RR tracks and back to parking lot. I missed it on way back staying on the trail too long. The incline is no joke. It’s a grind but stays interesting. The first 1/3 was a dry hard ascent. You have to cross the creek at the very beginning where a bridge seemed to have been. You can’t do it dry. Then it’s straight up for about mile which is all dry. About 1/4 of it is narrow. It wasn’t scary but parts are 2 feet wide making you pay attention. Once you grind that out you start zigzagging the creek. It’s not as steep but is a steady climb. Running creek sounds are with you most of the way up. The crossings are all ankle deep or less and I enjoyed them. A few times I went mid-calf not navigating well. The trail is rocky in places, muddy in others, has some blowdowns that are easy to navigate, and is generally well marked and clear the whole way up. The waterfall is around several smaller falling water spots that all make for good lunch stops. The waterfall is nice but isn’t a giant spectacle since the water runs down the sloped rocks. I didn’t see an easy way into it at that spot. I had a great seat near a smaller falling water spot. There isn’t much passed the falls to the turnaround spot marked on the map which seemed 0.4 miles passed the falls. It’s nothing much and just adds distance. I thought maybe it marked bigger falls but it doesn’t. I saw 2 snakes which I had to move off the trail. A garden snake and the black one which I never saw his head so couldn’t identify but I’m guessing rat snake. They were tiny - probably eating crickets and such.

I could not find the trailhead. GPS took me to a picnic spot off of US19 where there are tables and a small waterfall, but where is the trail???

this is tough but fun (when it is over trial). it is straight up with literally 70 degree incline at times but just for a short distance. the issue is mostly the trail is very narrow so if you are afraid of heights you will have some issues. one of my teens freaked out so we did the trail 1.65 times...she had to turn around. the falls are not that great but we are still laughing about the many times we "almost died".

I think we did another section near duke energy but it was nice!

This was a tough hike. Straight up hill for the first mile with no breaks in elevation gain. If that don’t tickle your fancy this one might not be for you. Because after a mild downhill to the creek it’s straight back up hill for another 2 miles. However, crossing the creek several times and seeing the waterfall at the top was very beautiful and rewarding. Also if your bringing your dog and they pull when on leash the downhill will be troublesome. (I have a bruised butt to prove it) Side note: trail is a bit longer than 5.4, we went 6 without getting to the very top

Thu Nov 22 2018

Very steep hike!! Four and a half hour hike. Water falls all on the way. Water fall is average not anything crazy so if your tired and already see cool waterfalls I’d recommend turning around because it’s just going to get steeper and steeper. Good luck!

Mon Sep 04 2017

First off, let me say, if this trail is rated as easy, then K2 should be labeled as moderate given the same "labeling" scale. The first 45 mins of this hike is literally straight up the side of the mountain. There are absolutely no level points at all. Some of the trail is literally 1ft wide with briars on one side and a fall to your death on the other. There are multiple points where trees are laying across the trail that you have to cross either over or under. Once you do get past the initial butt kick of an ascent, you still are literally at pretty much of a moderate ascent/climb until you reach the falls, 2.7 miles later. There are multiple points of creek crossings on this trail with moss covered rocks. We even saw a snake in one of the creeks we had to jump from rock to rock to cross. At one point we even had to use a tree to pull ourselves up to reach the next level of the trail to get on to the Falls area. This is absolutely not a moderately travelled trail either. We didn't see a single soul on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. One part of the trail was fully over grown with about 6 feet of waist high bushes you had to wade through. I would say there was about 20 mins of this 4 hour hike that I can say I actually enjoyed. After seeing my life flash before my eyes on at least three occasions on the way to the falls, upon my arrival there, I was less than impressed. With all this being said, hike this trail at your own peril. If you're a hard core hiker that enjoys the thrill of adventure, with less than stellar scenery and one heck of a workout, go for it. Let me say though, this trail is most definitely not for kids or anyone that can't handle two straight hours of a strenuous climb. I pray you read the reviews of this trail before accepting AllTrails "easy" designation. I can totally show you the screenshot of my Fitbit dashboard if you need further proof.

Thu Jul 20 2017

Definitely NOT worthy of an "easy" rating. 1640 foot climb in 2.7 miles, in at times very rocky and slippery terrain. Trail at times seemed to almost go vertical. Scenery was nice, but this trail definitely should be rated as "moderate" or "difficult". The waterfall was nice and made the effort worth it, but I'm an in shape 50 year old and my wife and I have made other hikes including the Wiilliams Pulpit hike, and this one was insane.

Mon May 15 2017

We "only" hiked 3.2 miles in. First mile and a half is very very tough. Very steep climb. After it descends to run along the creek it is a very beautiful hike. Typical of the area with waterfall upon waterfall. Some you will be able to see very well. Most of the better falls were toward the end of our hike. It was worth the effort

Wed Apr 19 2017

Awesome bike visiting my family--some steep climbs but beautiful views and so much green!

Sat Mar 25 2017

The falls as a destination is disappointing. There are better falls on the side of the road driving to there. The enjoyment is the hike along the picturesque creek and navigating the multiple creek crossings. This isn't anywhere close to "easy" level though. The initial ascent is brutal for 30 minutes - left me dripping sweat from my head in 60 degree overcast weather. The trail is over rocks, loose leaves, water, and roots with some parts requiring hand holds to pull up. It isn't for small kids but is especially good for dogs! The unimpressive falls put this at 2 stars for me though.

Tue Jan 01 2019