Balsam Nature Trail to Mount Mitchell

Balsam Nature Trail to Mount Mitchell is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 154 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Fabulous trail and well traveled. About .6 miles and an easy hike. Beautiful site, birds and trees to photograph.

This will go down as one of my favorite little hikes of all time. At first, we were bummed at the complete cloud cover. As we made our way to the top, the wind was gusting and the trees were dusted with white. It was gorgeous! We checked out the observation area at Mt. Mitchell before heading out on to Balsam. It was iced over at points, but oh so beautiful! It’s a short loop and you’ll wish it went on much longer. Don’t miss this one.

Lovely easy trail! We love the scenery along this trail. The trees remind us of a medieval forest with layers of rich green lichen and boulders with icicles hanging in places. The fir, cedars, & spruce trees were wind blown and frozen with ice & snow. I wish I had my camera!!!The first time we’ve been on this trail in November. .It wasn’t the trail we intended to hike today but someone else had other plans for us! We met three worn out young men and a beautiful dog named Mia.. They had camped out near the base of Black Mt/Mt Mitchell trail and hiked to the top this morning.. We met them as they were making the long trek down the mountain. They were tired, the trail was slippery, and darkness would be on them before they finished.. We offered them a ride and made four new friends. Sort of sad to drop them off at the camp ground. They reminded us of our sons. Good luck fellas!!

Beautiful trail thru thick forest. A fairly easy walk with not a lot of elevation change

Short loop through high elevation pine forest. Lots of interpretive signs tell about the unusual plants, algae, and fungi that grow up here. Some rocks and roots in the treadway, but far easier than most of the other trails on Mt. Mitchell. Provides a nice, less crowded, alternate route back to the parking lot after you have visited the summit of Mt. Mitchell.

beautiful, short walk, great for kids

Loved the walk thru semi dense woods. Found unexpectedly and didn’t have much time. It was easy, short but still not for everyone. A lot of zig and zags, steps and rocks. Beautiful!

Monday, June 11, 2018

Green everywhere! One of my favorite trails any time of year, except winter. Can be icy and muddy in the Spring so wear shoes with good traction. Short trail to/from parking lot at Mt. Mitchell to/from the summit trail and outlook.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Our favorite short hike in WNC - takes about 20 minutes. Lots of shade through this coniferous forest. Start at either the lower parking lot or near the Mount Mitchell summit just on the left as you pass the small education building.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Nice nature walk. Usually do it every time we go up to Mt. Mitchell. The trees are beautiful. Everything is always so green in there during the summer.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

This trail gives you an easy hike to go along with the short paved walk to the summit viewing area. I started from the Balsam Nature trailhead in the lower level of the parking lot. It was enjoyable seeing and learning about the Canadian-like spruce-fir forest. And I got to finish the nearly mile long loop by including the amazing views from the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Nice warm up or cool down from the parking area.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I hiked this trail right after I completed the Summit Trail. It is well marked it and relatively easy nature walk. I highly recommended

Sunday, November 05, 2017