Bakers Mountain Loop Hike

Bakers Mountain Loop Hike is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hickory, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A nice wooded walk which includes 2 old homesites, a couple monuments, tree information markers, a nice view from the top, and some nice woodland views in the Western NC Piedmont. The section of the trail leading to the top is steep, but short, and very manageable. Bakers Mountain Park is a small county park in western Catawba County, NC. It's nothing spectacular, but a nice place to go and get away from it all for a while. The ranger here is an avid birder, and very knowledgeable about the area. They have some strange hours, so call before you go. The small trail system, about six miles, has a number of different combinations of trails you can put together for numerous loop hikes. Pick up a map at the park office. The trails are pretty well marked and there is a map at almost every intersection. Definitely make sure you go to the observation platform for good views to the east. Also check out the old homesites, waterfall, and boulder outcropping. Most of the trails here are very steep. Don't let the short distances fool you. Take water with you.

I started on the red trail heading away from the mountain to add a little distance, connecting to the blue trail on the way up to the observation area and returning on the orange and red trails. The trails are well marked and maintained. The climb to the top is somewhat steep in places but very manageable. It gives you a nice workout for a short hike. And the multiple trails allow you to alter your route if desired on return visits.

6 miles of trails. Take your pick on which side of the loop to start at, plus trails that are inside and outside of the main loop for added mileage. Not too difficult. Nice view of the Catawba Valley at the top.

Walked it with my mom and two kids, we never quite figured out the way to the overlook (it started pouring so we turned back), and there is no waterfall, just a very small creek. There were some amazing carved hiking sticks for the taking and nice clean bathrooms. A cool stone chimney, some cave type boulders and amazing fall colors.

The other reason I'm giving 4 stars is that we both felt that the trail was not moderate and actually quite difficult when we hit the inclines on the blue trails. Not that we would have turned it down otherwise, but we maybe wouldn't have taken our elderly dog (though we learned on this trip that he can totally handle it way better than us). The view was great at the top and we loved that it had a little of everything (streams, heavily wooded, rock formations, history). We would definitely go back!

Short, but pretty good strenuous hike to the top. The Overlook was quite lovely. You could see for miles!

Well marked and maintained. paved parking area with bathrooms. nice for a short hike with good incline, moderately challenging.

the trail we took was strenuous enough and yet very easy !!

I've got to go up the street be back in min

Nice low key hike without many people. I took the orange trail up and actually found it a bit steep but glad I didn't take the blue trail..it would have killed me. I loved how well maintained the trails are and the variety of landscapes. Definitely a great place if you have a couple of hours.

Worth it for a short hike through the park. Nothing super spectacular but at the top you can see a huge part of the Catawba valley

Thursday, April 06, 2017

The gentleman at the park office very friendly and helpful; this is an exceptionally well marked, well maintained trail! We took the red trail out to the orange, where you can enjoy the top of mountain from the gazebo and the scenic overlook. Well worth the few stretches of steeper climbing! I recommend taking the blue trail back, it leads you by a beautiful spring/small waterfall. The whole loop was about 2 miles and took 45 minutes/an hour. Great for a pleasant afternoon hike!

Monday, March 27, 2017

I would rate this as more strenuous than moderate for the fact that the trail itself is pretty rough, lots of toe stubbers and roots, and its a steady incline as well. The nearly panoramic vista at the top is worth the effort, would be amazing if there was a mountain range identifying map up there, as there are several to guess at.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great views and a place to rest up top.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

I took the red trail to orange at the first homestead and followed that to the overlook. Beautiful view! Pro-tip: post a Hammock under the over look for instant zen points! I took blue on the way back and stopped by the waterfall and the second homestead. Beautiful hike.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Wow what a refreshing trail!
I would like to meet the reviewer that labeled this as moderate.

This trail can sway to the moderate/strenuous difficulty in my judgement.

Very well marked, many stopping points, and many information plaques all along the trails.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Nice easy hike.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Closed on Wednesdays?! What the heck?!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Nice workout...

Monday, August 01, 2016

this is a great place for pics if you know what you wanting to shoot. has a great veiw up top, with a gazebo. also a few homestead markers.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Pretty fun trail but not too many things to look at along the way. Definitely worth taking the orange trail to the gazebo and overlook!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

A well marked and managed trail. Had an enjoyable run on the trail- enough elevation to get the heart rate up but so much elevation that the trail was over strenuous. Certain parts of the trail were scenic- the view and the creek with a waterfall was nice. I will be running this trail again the next time I am in Hickory.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Moderate. Not too steep, but definitely not level ground. Quick and pretty hike, clearly marked.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Not bad. A quick 2.5 miler that took an hour. Moderate is a good description.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Was a fairly easy trail, some steep hills but had a lot of benches along the way to stop and rest. The park ranger was friendly and told us which trails were best on the way up and down. The gazebo and dock overlooking the view were very nice and shaded to rest a bit once getting to the top. Took the blue trail and was about 2 hours round trip, but we weren't in a rush.

Friday, May 06, 2016

Loved this hike. Wasn't too hard and my dog loved it as well. Ranger is super nice.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

OK hike you get to the top to look at water towers power lines and mobile homes, excellent hike for the family or novice hikers.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Outstanding family hike. Took the family up here 160216 the walk up was totally worth it. After a long weekend with the kids at home and having a snow day and extra day off the cabin fever was do to get worn out of them.

We had a blast. Unfortunately we departed our house kinda late in the afternoon and arrived at the park just about 1530. Took a bit to familiarize our selfs with trails before we set off. We notice too The park closed at 1700, so we began our accede on one of the trails near by. The scenery and sounds of the woods to the kids was awesome.Got 21 questions and the some.

As a Marine I was taught navigation skills and other skill sets while I was in the service. Its amazing to pass on to them some skills I was taught.

Mid way we notice the time flew by and started taking short cuts though not straying too far off the path. We made it to the top of the look out took a moment and then began our decent back down the trail. We were met by the park ranger at the end of the trail and asked hey y'all enjoy the trail. We replied with a yes sir it was outstanding. We humbly apologized for being late and not making the time by closing. He said ah don't mention it happens a lot. Definitely looking to do it again.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Great moderate hiking trail. The views were beautiful and they do a really good job at maintaining the trails.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

This hike is only 10 minutes from our house so it is our fallback if we want to get in a quick hour of exercise on the trails. The forest floor is covered with leaves right now so it is a very "crunchy" walk and good at hiding rocks and roots! Red trail loop is 2.5 miles and 750 vertical as above so about an hour if you keep moving. There are lots of shorter hikes or combinations to mix it up. Our dog loves this trail as well and starts whining when we are still a mile away. Frank and the other Rangers are excellent!! Trails are now open every day but Wednesday, 9-5 through the winter. See the link below for current hours etc.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

I took my seven year old daughter for a hike on this trail today and was very pleased with the overall experience. There were some very friendly park rangers that gave us information along with the clear paths that provided us with exercise that we both enjoyed. I will be back and maybe bring a lunch as there are spots to sit and plenty of places to toss trash!