Bakers Mountain Loop Hike

Bakers Mountain Loop Hike is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hickory, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A nice wooded walk which includes 2 old homesites, a couple monuments, tree information markers, a nice view from the top, and some nice woodland views in the Western NC Piedmont. The section of the trail leading to the top is steep, but short, and very manageable. Bakers Mountain Park is a small county park in western Catawba County, NC. It's nothing spectacular, but a nice place to go and get away from it all for a while. The ranger here is an avid birder, and very knowledgeable about the area. They have some strange hours, so call before you go. The small trail system, about six miles, has a number of different combinations of trails you can put together for numerous loop hikes. Pick up a map at the park office. The trails are pretty well marked and there is a map at almost every intersection. Definitely make sure you go to the observation platform for good views to the east. Also check out the old homesites, waterfall, and boulder outcropping. Most of the trails here are very steep. Don't let the short distances fool you. Take water with you.

Considering this hike is in Hickory, it's decent. There's a nice view from the platform and some uphill walking for exercise. I think advertising there's a waterfall is somewhat of a hyperbole. I'm not a big fan of parks, though. Too touristy and too many rules, such as "no drones", which is my favorite thing to do.

We truly enjoyed this trail. Not too long, but some fairly challenging climbs. We are novice hikers and this is exactly the kind of trail we are looking for.

Took the red trail out, added the yellow loop and took the blue trail back. About 2.4 miles total and a solid workout.

It has a great view from the top and I genuinely enjoyed the old house sites in the park.

Hiked blue trail up and red trail down for total of about 2 miles. Short but steep. Had to rest once on one of the benches (my husband and I are late 50s and in fair shape). Wide shady paths are clearly marked. Beautiful view from overlook. “Baby” waterfall is nice but not spectacular. Would hike again!

I didn’t see the waterfall, but we took the long way up to the mtn top & it was moderate difficulty. Bathrooms, no shop. The ranger dude was super helpful & friendly. The walk was nice & shady, pretty view from the top. Several benches along the way to stop

Great hike.

loved it. kinda hard but lots of nice benches. my pug mix woulda died

We enjoyed it but it kicked our novice rears. Like the previous poster said ..don't let the short trails fool you some are steep. Definitely take hydration the heat is brutal this time of year.

I enjoyed the hike. I'm a beginner and enjoyed it. loved the brochure and easily marked paths

Get the park map, there are some nice trails here. did a figure 8 through the park at just under 4 miles. beautiful views, homesites, creek, mountain laurel in bloom. awesome local resource!

Pretty mild at first, but once you get past the waterfall you’re on a pretty steady upward hike, the last leg to the gazebo and outlook is the part that gives the trail it’s rating. Lovely outlook at the top. Remember to bring water even though it’s only a couple of miles. We did the blue trail up and the orange back down—will definitely hike again!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

I started on the red trail heading away from the mountain to add a little distance, connecting to the blue trail on the way up to the observation area and returning on the orange and red trails. The trails are well marked and maintained. The climb to the top is somewhat steep in places but very manageable. It gives you a nice workout for a short hike. And the multiple trails allow you to alter your route if desired on return visits.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

6 mile trail system. Not too difficult. Nice view at the top overlooking Hickory with the Brushy Mtns in the back. A little further up from the Observation Deck, you'll be able to see Grandfather Mtn.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Walked it with my mom and two kids, we never quite figured out the way to the overlook (it started pouring so we turned back), and there is no waterfall, just a very small creek. There were some amazing carved hiking sticks for the taking and nice clean bathrooms. A cool stone chimney, some cave type boulders and amazing fall colors.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

The other reason I'm giving 4 stars is that we both felt that the trail was not moderate and actually quite difficult when we hit the inclines on the blue trails. Not that we would have turned it down otherwise, but we maybe wouldn't have taken our elderly dog (though we learned on this trip that he can totally handle it way better than us). The view was great at the top and we loved that it had a little of everything (streams, heavily wooded, rock formations, history). We would definitely go back!

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Short, but pretty good strenuous hike to the top. The Overlook was quite lovely. You could see for miles!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Well marked and maintained. paved parking area with bathrooms. nice for a short hike with good incline, moderately challenging.

Monday, August 14, 2017

the trail we took was strenuous enough and yet very easy !!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I've got to go up the street be back in min

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Nice low key hike without many people. I took the orange trail up and actually found it a bit steep but glad I didn't take the blue trail..it would have killed me. I loved how well maintained the trails are and the variety of landscapes. Definitely a great place if you have a couple of hours.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Worth it for a short hike through the park. Nothing super spectacular but at the top you can see a huge part of the Catawba valley

Thursday, April 06, 2017

The gentleman at the park office very friendly and helpful; this is an exceptionally well marked, well maintained trail! We took the red trail out to the orange, where you can enjoy the top of mountain from the gazebo and the scenic overlook. Well worth the few stretches of steeper climbing! I recommend taking the blue trail back, it leads you by a beautiful spring/small waterfall. The whole loop was about 2 miles and took 45 minutes/an hour. Great for a pleasant afternoon hike!

Monday, March 27, 2017

I would rate this as more strenuous than moderate for the fact that the trail itself is pretty rough, lots of toe stubbers and roots, and its a steady incline as well. The nearly panoramic vista at the top is worth the effort, would be amazing if there was a mountain range identifying map up there, as there are several to guess at.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great views and a place to rest up top.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

I took the red trail to orange at the first homestead and followed that to the overlook. Beautiful view! Pro-tip: post a Hammock under the over look for instant zen points! I took blue on the way back and stopped by the waterfall and the second homestead. Beautiful hike.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Wow what a refreshing trail!
I would like to meet the reviewer that labeled this as moderate.

This trail can sway to the moderate/strenuous difficulty in my judgement.

Very well marked, many stopping points, and many information plaques all along the trails.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Nice easy hike.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Closed on Wednesdays?! What the heck?!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Nice workout...

Monday, August 01, 2016

this is a great place for pics if you know what you wanting to shoot. has a great veiw up top, with a gazebo. also a few homestead markers.