Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Badin Lake Trail

Badin Lake Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New London, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 301 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is a great day hike along the shoreline of Badin Lake. It is great for couples, kids or groups. Badin Lake Trail (Loop) is listed on the map as 5.6 miles. However, the area around Arrowhead Campground loops in a paved figure-eight pattern for bike riders. This can be excluded from the trail, reducing the total length to 5.2 miles.

Very disappointed. I’m an advanced hiker and have traveled lots of states and out of the country. This is the worst trail I’ve encountered. Found the trail head but the trail was not easy to follow. Trees down and over grown. Ended up going to the road to get back to the parking lot. This really shouldn’t be listed as a hiking trail.

Nice even trail. Still some old blow down but not bad. Beautiful fall day for a hike

Took sometime driving around trying to find the trail. Trail wasn't very well marked. Ended up out of the woods and walked 2 miles on the road back to where we were parked which was the Cove boat ramp. Would of been a great trail if better marked. Did run into some squatters and campers along the trail. The view of the lake was nice

This trail deserves nothing less than one star. I met my date at what was supposed to be the trail head. After searching for several minutes to no avail, we decided to Lewis and Clark it through the woods in the general direction until we found it. The trail provided a delightful mixture of lake views, homeless camps, or the occasional discarded soiled tighty whitey. The egrets and cranes are a pleasant distraction from the discarded trash or car tires. Be sure to say hi to the friendly multitude of campers as you pass directly through their campsites. Overall, you will get your money's worth here, as the 5.2 miles will be the longest of your life, and not due to the difficulty. You will likely welcome coming to the end, if you so choose to endure it. The overall experience was so amazing that I will bask in my memories for years to come. Side note, my trail choosing privileges have been temporarily been revoked.

it was a fun trail with nice views of the lake. There were a few trees down. also, there were homeless camps on the trail.

First off let me say I would recommend this trail. The dirt road leading past the Baden lake campground to Kings Mountain Point parking lot (where the trail starts and finishes) was a bit rough with large potholes so a truck or jeep would do best. I would rate this trail as easy instead of Moderate because the only difficulty was climbing over several downed trees throughout the trail. We were gifted with the pleasure of seeing Peregrine Falcons bring food to their chicks in the nest.

Not great hike. The trail is a bit shifty and there were lots of bugs. Trail not well marked in parts. Nice views of the lake tho!

Poorly marked trail but easy to find your way back if you lose the trail. Lots of people fishing along the trail as it follows the lake.

Overall, a really nice trail. As others have said though, it needs some work. Left from Kings Mountain Point picnic area and went south. We had to bushwhack a bit pretty shortly after leaving the picnic area, as there was a lot of standing water, foliage, and downed trees. An adventure with a few little kids in tow. We only did about half of it, cutting across in the middle and meeting the trail again at the group camp site. We had the dog with us on the leash and had no issues there. The biggest issue I had was the immense amount of trash everywhere. I picked up two shopping bags worth before I couldn't carry any more. Why people trash the natural places that they want to visit is beyond me...

Was a nice trail to hike, I’ll be back to do it again. Some of the trail needs to be remarked and cleared.

This was a great hike, if a bit over grown in areas. There are a lot of trees down in som areas. Overall, this is a brilliant hike, just watch out for horseshit near the lower end of the lake where the trail is open to horses—not an issue for the majority of the trail. Beautiful views of the lake and some really interesting paths through the woods. I highly recommend this hiking trail!

Great trail on a beautiful spring-like day! However, know that there are a number of trees down and more water crossings than what I presume is "normal" due to recent weather. Nothing you can't get around but some will require a bit of off-trail wandering. Also, my Fitbit measured this trail at over 6 miles but I find that on many trails.

Started at the Kings Mountain Point Picnic Area clockwise on the Trail. Well marked trail, however a few places where you will need to keep an eye on the blazes. Trail is Rocky and Rooty in places and muddy in others. Beautiful Hike in a National Forest

Mon Oct 08 2018

great trail. nice scenery.

Thu Sep 13 2018

Nice loop with about 2/3 of the distance along Badin Lake. Some up-and-down but mostly flat. Passes several campgrounds and several established primitive lakeside campsites. Well marked with white paint blazes. Well-maintained considering it receives little traffic. Overall, probably the best dayhiking loop in Uwharrie National Forest.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Great hike for exercise. I would wait for lake season to end to do it again. Did not like hiking through occupied campsites on lake. You hear lots of noise from cars, boats and jetskis.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Nice trail and great loop by lake and in woods. Only downside is litter by lake side of trail.

Fri Jun 15 2018

It's a nice trail with good views of the lake. It is very easy to follow with the exception of the area near the boat ramp (you have to cross a large parking lot to pick the trail back up). The major drawback to this trail was the trash. There are campsites along the lake and many had been trashed over the weekend. There were beer cans everywhere and one group appeared to have put a whole camping chair in the fire and left it. Personally I think things like that take away from the experience, but overall it was still a decent hike.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Really nice hike - well marked except at the Cove Boat Ramp. We exited the woods and wandered around trying to find the rest of the trail. We eventually did though - took about 2 1/2 hours. Pretty and very few people on it. Unfortunately there is some litter near the trailheads which spoiled the hike a little for me.

Fri Apr 06 2018

Fairly easy trail mostly along the shoreline of Badin Lake. Keep an eye on the trail as there are many small rocks and roots to trip you up.