Backside Trail

Backside Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gastonia, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

heavily trafficked on the weekends. very dog friendly. This trail is straight up the entire hike and then tons of stairs to get to the top. The peak offers a large flat rock area to sit and relax or picnic while taking in the rewarding view.

Not much to see on the way up but the top has a gorgeous view that makes this all uphill hike worth it! We went on a Sunday and it was rather busy but not so much that we couldn’t enjoy it.

Nice loop, for a short trail use the first turnoff and go up the stairs. The other side of loop is a very wide dirt/gravel incline that is more like a road than a trail. Both sides are fun and offer a decent work out and rewarding views at the top.

It was short but uphill. My 4 & 6 year old hiked it with me with minimal complaints. Beautiful view at the top!

Nice short hike. Go early if you want to enjoy the peace and beauty here.

Such a rewarding hike. Oh my at the stairs. Keep going and make it to the top to see a truly amazing view for such a short hike. Heavily used so I suggest going early or late. Peak times can be ruined by groups playing music loudly instead of enjoying the peacefulness and views. I go often.

Great anaerobic burn especially when hitting the 336 steps. I typically do laps around Tower and connect to Backside. That is about a 2.7 mile lap. If doing two or more laps, I’ll sometimes reverse the laps. I do most of my 25 mile per week runs on this section as I’m less likely to trip on a root or rock, like I might on the other Crowders Mountain trails.

Note: Crowders is a Very Busy Park on the weekends. Arrive early or late, else you may have to wait or park offsite. This is NOT a lightly hiked park as noted on this site. But, it is a damned nice gem of a park here in our Charlotte backyard.

Lastly, if you are reading this, please abide by the Park rules. Leave before the Park closes. The Rangers and Support staff have families to go home to. Lastly, flick off your dog’s crap off trail. The park doesn’t require bagging your pups poops, but it doesn’t mean leave it for us to dodge or step on.

those steps!

We went up Rocktop to the tower, then Backside to Crowders Summit and down. Map my Hike logged 5.4 loop from trailhead start to finish. If you are looking for a workout, we thought going up Crowders hitting the 336 railroad ties at the end would’ve been better. Don’t get me wrong Rocktop was challenging getting up and over the rocks but the stairs on the other side are a bit more. It’s Friday and we literally saw less than 10 people, it was perfect!

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Challenging, yet my 8 yr old son and 6 ur old daughter managed to make it through the whole loop. Very nice views and the top of the peak.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Loved it ❤️❤️

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Great view when you get to the top!

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Nice trail to the mountain top only hard part about it is the incline other than that it's a smooth walk

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Beautiful panoramic beautiful view when you reach the top. The trail has some steep inclines. Great place to workout. It's a real treat.

Monday, July 31, 2017

This peak is a very intriguing setting with rocky outcroppings and sheer cliffs all along the top. The trail to get to the top is nice but there was trash and dog feces far to frequent for such a nice hike. That was my reason for not giving this 5 stars. My climbing crew thoroughly enjoyed the extended hike to the north from where the trail meets the peak. This made the exploration well worth the effort and was very rewarding.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

I love this trail! Definitely my favorite at this park! It gets difficult very quickly, and it's not that long of a trail. SOOOOO many steps! If you're looking for a leg workout this is definitely the one to do. I came back down via the Tower Trail and that was boring. It's a wide gravel road that very slowly goes uphill. The views are worth the climb, regardless of which direction you take to the top.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Very strenuous climb. The view is worth it. If you want an easier climb I'd suggest the Tower Trail.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

love this trail! I can't tell you how many times I gone there. I've been there in all kinds of weather. always tough, but always worth it.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Great trail for a challenging day hike and good view!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Great trail for a difficult but quick hike. The stairs at the top really get your heart pumping - whew! Views from the top are great.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Favorite short and sweet hike to get the heart pumping. The view up at the top never gets old.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

I love love love hiking this

Monday, February 20, 2017

Backside Trail is a short trail that ends with climbing many man-made steps towards the top. The view is great on a clear day. You are able to see Charlotte in the distance. My four year old son did it with me and we never stopped until we reached the top. The top has a few trees but is mostly rock. The trail was crowded with people and dogs but it was President's Day. I had a hard time getting a parking spot at the trailhead.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Short but steep on the backside. Convenient but Crowded.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

I have been going here since I was a kid and still love to make a trip once or twice a year! It's pretty difficult but it's short and the reward is phenomenal!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Fun trail. Got the heart rate up a bit on the way up and was relaxing on the way back down. Excellent view at the top.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Great workout trail.... at the end and toward the top, there are a lot of steps (336 wood steps). The views are fantastic! It's peak color so will be very pretty this weekend.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Absolutely loved it worth every step

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

My go-to trail when I need a quick escape from Charlotte.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Really strenuous hike to the top of Crowders mountain but great views you can see Charlotte downtown Skyline on a clear day, bring plenty of water and