Backside Trail

Backside Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gastonia, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We went up Rocktop to the tower, then Backside to Crowders Summit and down. Map my Hike logged 5.4 loop from trailhead start to finish. If you are looking for a workout, we thought going up Crowders hitting the 336 railroad ties at the end would’ve been better. Don’t get me wrong Rocktop was challenging getting up and over the rocks but the stairs on the other side are a bit more. It’s Friday and we literally saw less than 10 people, it was perfect!

Challenging, yet my 8 yr old son and 6 ur old daughter managed to make it through the whole loop. Very nice views and the top of the peak.

Loved it ❤️❤️

Great view when you get to the top!

Nice trail to the mountain top only hard part about it is the incline other than that it's a smooth walk

Beautiful panoramic beautiful view when you reach the top. The trail has some steep inclines. Great place to workout. It's a real treat.

This peak is a very intriguing setting with rocky outcroppings and sheer cliffs all along the top. The trail to get to the top is nice but there was trash and dog feces far to frequent for such a nice hike. That was my reason for not giving this 5 stars. My climbing crew thoroughly enjoyed the extended hike to the north from where the trail meets the peak. This made the exploration well worth the effort and was very rewarding.

I love this trail! Definitely my favorite at this park! It gets difficult very quickly, and it's not that long of a trail. SOOOOO many steps! If you're looking for a leg workout this is definitely the one to do. I came back down via the Tower Trail and that was boring. It's a wide gravel road that very slowly goes uphill. The views are worth the climb, regardless of which direction you take to the top.

Very strenuous climb. The view is worth it. If you want an easier climb I'd suggest the Tower Trail.

love this trail! I can't tell you how many times I gone there. I've been there in all kinds of weather. always tough, but always worth it.

Great trail for a challenging day hike and good view!

Great trail for a difficult but quick hike. The stairs at the top really get your heart pumping - whew! Views from the top are great.

Favorite short and sweet hike to get the heart pumping. The view up at the top never gets old.

I love love love hiking this

Backside Trail is a short trail that ends with climbing many man-made steps towards the top. The view is great on a clear day. You are able to see Charlotte in the distance. My four year old son did it with me and we never stopped until we reached the top. The top has a few trees but is mostly rock. The trail was crowded with people and dogs but it was President's Day. I had a hard time getting a parking spot at the trailhead.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Short but steep on the backside. Convenient but Crowded.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

I have been going here since I was a kid and still love to make a trip once or twice a year! It's pretty difficult but it's short and the reward is phenomenal!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Fun trail. Got the heart rate up a bit on the way up and was relaxing on the way back down. Excellent view at the top.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Great workout trail.... at the end and toward the top, there are a lot of steps (336 wood steps). The views are fantastic! It's peak color so will be very pretty this weekend.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Absolutely loved it worth every step