Babel Tower Trail

Babel Tower Trail is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near Marion, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Scenic Views, Wildflowers, Rugged Beauty Ok this is one for the tough, and this is probably one of the easiest trails in the Gorge. The climb from the river back to your car is intense, and you will think you have hiked 10 miles before you get there. In the spring Wild flowers grow at trailside, and the views of the river at the tower are breath taking, you are standing on a ledge with about 400 Ft. of air between you and the river. Don't miss continuing down the trail to the river you might see a Brown Trout of better than 36 inches there, to say nothing of its rugged beauty. Crossing the river is not recommended here. When you get back to your car, go the extra mile down SR-1238 to Wisemans View, The views of the Gorge, Hawksbill Rock, and Table Rock are outstanding there. Its only a short easy walk down to the viewing platforms.

Good hike. The combination of a wet trail with slick leaves and rocks made it a little more difficult going down but it was worth it. Took a little searching to find the trail to the top of the Tower. The trail is comparable to the Spence Ridge Trail on the other side of the Gorge but not that difficult.

This trail is a good one, once we got to tower, it was obvious there were plenty of places to camp. It goes down to the babel tower, so the hike out is back up. We were determined to climb up the tower and eventually found our way up the side. make sure to find the trail that leads to the river for some great swimming and beautiful views of the gorge. We hiked this in June and it was an all around great outdoor experience. We hiked, saw great views, scrambled/climbed up the rock formation, and swam in the river. And the hike is not even a long one!

This is an awesome trail and it's exactly what I'm looking for if I don't have my daughter with me. The view is gorgeous and going down to the river is a must! The hike out is difficult, water is a must. You will be climbing waist high rocks for part of it. It's steep and between the rocks and the roots in the path good footing is important. I hiked this trail after walking up and down a river fly fishing for 8 hours so it was definitely a workout climbing out when we were already exhausted. It's beautiful.

"Oh dear Lord, thank you for helping me get back up this trail , as I haven't hiked for 30 years and this probably wasn't the best one start with".

Ok, the trail is everything mentioned above and below....except easy. However, the view from the Babel tower rock formation is worth your effort. Hike beyond the formations southern face and the hike....climb....crawl trail is off to your right.

Trail down to Linville is narrow and steep... not for the weak of heart (literally ) . However, the swim awaiting was worth every curse, turned ankle, and slapped fly! Then, I wanted to call a cab, but my husband assured me it would be a long... Long wait! Lol

Watch you step, and know that the trip back up will kick butt if you are a cupcake like me!

This is an excellent hike. It is easy to go up to the top of the tower, but finding the trail is tricky, because you need to go up on a boulder first to find that trail (see my recording). The trail is somewhat rocky especially if you also want to go down to the river, but it is worth to do so. You have a great waterfall and a nice river at the end.