Avery Creek Trail and Buckwheat Knob Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(12)
Pisgah National Forest

Avery Creek Trail and Buckwheat Knob Trail is a 8.1 mile loop trail located near Pisgah Forest, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,778 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail was quite wet and a lot of streams were high. So wet feet. Good work out with some nice views from the Buckwheat side. I went up with Avery side and down the Buckwheat side. That worked for me, Avery side is smoother and fewer rocks on trail.

Fri Aug 25 2017

Trail head is further on Forest service road than shown. Some parking available close to trail head. The walk along the creek was buggy and overgrown for this time of year. Mtn bikes are supposedly not allowed on sections of this hike but the trail had been ridden hard and created erosion and muddy spots. The ridge at the highest point would be beautiful when the leaves are off. Still pretty. The last 3+/- miles are on a gravel road. Boring!

Fri Apr 15 2016

Almost parked at the stables but don't. its a long hike up to the trail head. we only hiked in 3 or so miles before we split from the trail for some back-country camping. I love the trail and next time I'm in the area I will do the entire loop over two days with a night of camping. Hiking next to the river is so pleasant and camping within earshot of the water is so wonderful. We were a bit paranoid about bears (we are from Texas) but nothing bothered us all night.

Sun Feb 22 2015

This was one of my favorite hikes in Pisgah National Forest. It is very remote and cell service is sporadic. The creek runs next to most of the hike And has beautiful swimming pools. Half way through the hike there is gorgeous mature pine trees that leave a thick bed of pine needles to make a very romantic picnic lunch with your one true love. Hope you enjoy it!

Sun Jul 02 2017