Avery Creek Loop Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pisgah Forest, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length9.0 miElevation gain2,329 ftRoute typeLoop
Photos (339)
Recordings (15)
Completed (30)
Reade Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 21, 2021
Hiking

I wouldn’t start at the Cradle of Forestry. You have to go down an “authorized only” street and start the journey on an old road that has clearly been littered with limbs to discourage people to go in it. Better access on an access road before the Cradle of Forestry. The 2800ft in elevation gain was rough but 12.9 miles later- finished! Took 6 hours.

View Reade's Recording
Anita Broderick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2021
Fishing
View Anita's Recording
Ray Horvath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 10, 2021
Hiking

several sections were still icy and muddy. nice walk along stream some tricky crossings

View Ray's Recording
bombogenesis 6
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingMuddy
View bombogenesis's Recording
Peter&Sebastian S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
Mountain bikingBridge outGreat!MuddyRocky

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC DOWNHILL MTB TRAIL!!!!! The jumps are all built PERFECTLY, as are all of the rock gardens, and just the whole entire trail in general. The jumps (NOT ONLY THE HUGE GAPS) are built such a way that ALL skill levels can easily roll or even clear them VERY easily! We HIGHLY recommend taking this by shuttle to the Club Gap Trailhead on Avery(s) Creek Road/National Forest Rd, hiking(or biking) up Club Gap Tr, and then shredding and bombing the gnar down Avery Creek in this case. THE LAST SECTION OF AVERY CREEK TRAIL RIGHT TOWARDS THE VERY BOTTOM (where it flattens out and you continously stick to the right at some of the bridges) IS VIRTUALLY UN-RIDEABLE!! It's SUPER muddy and there are very tall roots. You also have to most likely carry/walk/push/etc. your bike up the very very last part up the hiking-like steps and onto Avery Creek Road.

Peter&Sebastian S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Mountain bikingBridge outGreat!MuddyRocky

Thomas Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 8, 2019
Snow

Nice in and out excellent trail conditions

View Thomas's Recording
Rip3d Trails
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2010
Mountain biking
First to Review

Got an early start just off Highway 276 about half a mile up 477 was the start to Club Gap. This single track starts with an immediate but easy climb, this however is just a teaser, cos it soon gets a lot harder. Although it is not really a steep climb, the baby heads make it a lot harder than it looks. After about 20 min. you reach the the cross trails of Buckwheat knob Avery Creek Club Gap and Black Mountain. I took a left onto Black Mountain because this trail would take me straight back to Davidson River Camp Ground. The climb continued, and I ended up walking for about 20 min. The walk was rewarded with an excellent downhill that lead straight to Buckhorn Gap. The highlight of the day was a very close encounter with a large Black Bear that was very surprised with my sudden appearance, and although he ran off, he stopped about 40 yards ahead of me, and was very curious what it actually was that startled him, by this time I was off the bike, behind a tree videoing him. I stopped for a snickers at the very bug infested Buckhorn Gap Shelter, the same place I had turned around a few days ago. Now came the scary part, cos I now knew what I had ahead of me, and I got tired just by thinking of it, I knew it was going to be a lung busting mental uphill ride to Black Mountain, or evn worse, it was going to be a lung busting mental bike hike to Black Mountain. I was shattered when I finally reached Black Mountain, but at least I now knew that it was practicilly all downhill that is how it should be, but like a real PLONKER!! I screamed down passed Pressley Gap, ( walked) up Hickory Knob, and then I noticed that I had lost my sun glasses somewhere between Black Mountain and Hickory Knob. I thought about going back, but the thought of climbing all the way back up to Black Mountain really did not appeal to me. The sun glasses are only worth 10 bucks, but they were given to me as a present, and had sentimental value, so, I turned around, screamed down Hickory knob, praying I would find the sunnies before I reached Presley Gap No such luck, so I ended up walking all the way back up to just past the junction with Turkey Pen Gap Trail just for a cheap pair of sunnies.. But there is always a bright side to every story, and within 4 days I was about to make my 3rd descent of Black Mountain.( 2 days later I did it again for the 4th time in one week) The downhill section went really well, and I am mastering the Queen of Downhills pretty well, and pretty fast, although there are one or two sections that I will probably never get to ride, without my permission, my bike stops and I have no choice but to walk them.. I must admit though, Black Mountain grows on you!!.. Fast!!

Jan Jolly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 13, 2021
View Jan's Recording
Niki Paganelli
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 2, 2021
View Niki's Recording
Roean Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 2, 2021
View Roean's Recording
Deanna J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 15, 2020
View Deanna's Recording
Adam Stein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 1, 2020
View Adam's Recording
robin miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2020
View robin's Recording
Rose Szalai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
View Rose's Recording
Hannah Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
View Hannah's Recording
Nathan Gressett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 25, 2019
View Nathan's Recording