Art Loeb and North Slope Loop

Art Loeb and North Slope Loop is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from December until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 1.5 miles to the Davidson River Recreation Area. Trail begins just south along creek.

Either the people who gave this hike 4-5 stars did a different hike than me, or I totally failed to find the good lookout points. I couldn't find one open spot where I wasn't looking through a bunch of trees. I have no idea where people are getting these wide open pictures. I passed another couple of hikers who said the same thing. Also, the map is pretty off at one point, I had to hike that stretch back and forth a few times before I figured it out. Overall, pretty disappointing. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than just getting some exercise in the woods. Didn't find it too challenging, its a lot of up and down but none of the inclines are very long.

Outstanding hike!

nice day hike, look forward to hiking the rest of the Art Loeb

Great trail!!

A great trail if you're looking for a steep incline

Love this trail. Today was perfect weather in the low 70's.

good day hike. my GPS put it at 7.75 miles. few steep areas most most were not severe. some nice views, be better in fall, winter or early spring. last few miles by Davidson river are nice. the forestry service was not aware of this loop trail and That at 3.7 miles you take the north sloop connector to North slope back to beginning of Art Loeb.

Family loves this one. Most of the ascent is in the first half making the return very mellow. Trail quiet even though close to town. Verdant green in spring and early summer. Best views in winter.

If you are trying to do the 7.2 mile segment on this trail make sure you do your research! I ended up going 3 extra miles past the loop and ended up doing a 12 mile hike!!

Wow, what a hike. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Amazing

I would think the loop includes the north slope

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Quite a hike
More hard as expected, but great

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The entire Art Loeb is amazing and quite the challenge!!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great walk in the woods. No big, open vistas at any point, but a great hike.

Monday, July 04, 2016

It was an amazing trail! I ran on it during Brevard Distance Runners Camp.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Did Art Loeb/Ivestor Gap figure 8 loop, about 8.5 miles. Great trail!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I am stingy with 5 stars. This is 5 stars without a doubt. I have seen it billed as all of the benefits of the AT in a weekend and while that is an exaggeration, I get the comparison.

I started at the boycott camp and walked South, which means you lose overall altitude. 4 miles or so up and then I tool the spur up to the top of cold mountain and slept there. It sounds better than it was. No views, but hey, they named a movie after it so I checked that box.

You then go South through the Shining Rock Wilderness and pass through an area called the narrows, which is just really tall weeds/plants and a little eerie. Then a really solid ridgline with some scrambling. Past some pines and eventually into the open where you hit Flower Gap and are treated to about 6-7 miles of awesome vistas with a lot of up and down over the peaks.

Past black balsam knob and you go down to cross the BRP. Then it is about 18- 20 more miles of peaks with vistas at most of the tops. Much more forested and the climbs get smaller as you get nearer the end. Finish through rhododendron tunnel and out into the campground area.

A couple pieces of advice:
1. Locate water sources before you go. there are not a lot of them so miss one and you will get thirsty
2. If you go late summer/fall be advised when you are in the open area the bees are nuts. Just suck it up and go because you will not avoid them. I did not get stung but the hum of the bees was like a plane
3. Look at a picture of the junction in shining rock. You can take a wrong turn very easily and walk for quite a way
4. I backpacked it and took 2 nights. Take you time and enjoy but...
5. Most of all, do this hike!

Monday, September 21, 2015

Did +/- 20 mile portion from Black Balsam parking lot down to end of the trail near the Davidson camp ground (near the Ranger Station). We spent the night at the Butter Gap shelter. Pretty well marked trail (white blazes). Butter Gap had a decent water source - had to dig it out a bit. Pilot Mountain summit provided some excellent views. Highly recommend this trail.