New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Appalachian Trail: Hot Springs to Tanyard Gap

Appalachian Trail: Hot Springs to Tanyard Gap is a 9.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hot Springs, North Carolina that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,270 feet Route Type: Out & Back

1 hour ago

Hiked 1/26/2920, absolutely beautiful day, beautiful view, hike is easy, met two guys hiking on the trail from Pennsylvania, like wow! they had been on the trail for 6 weeks, they were going to the town of hot springs to restock the food supply,

Fun segment of the AT. Beautiful weather.

It was awesome!

it was super awesome

We hiked a mile through town and a mile up to Tanyard Gap in the snow. It was too cold to do more at 29 degrees with an icy wind.

Downtown Hot Springs, NC, temperature 29 degrees. We went in Bluff Mountain Outfitters which is a great store. Walked the trail to the RR tracks downtown. It was snowing a little.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Absolutely love this hike! Great view from the bridge.

Mon Nov 13 2017

I completed this section with my wife and with my 10 years old daughter. We stayed overnight and came back next morning to Hot Springs campground. You will hike one mile next to the river... Was our pleasure to meet two Appalachian thru Hikers... great stories and good motivation!!! I rate this section Hard. Views = good ( different points to stop and take some pics) Hiking shoes highly recommended. I saw some people with running shoes having a hard time...

Mon Aug 22 2016

Nice trail. Went during the summer so the leaves blocked a lot of the views. Still, Awesome hike on the A.T.

Thu Jul 09 2015

I did this section of the AT as part of a longer four day hike to Allen Gap and back. I chose to park at the USFS AT parking lot on Serpentine Road in Hot Springs, and then walked through town, over the river, then along the French Broad River on flat terrain. This is a good way to warm up before you start to climb. Once headed up, it's a steady climb on a single track. Proper footing is important because there are some steep drop-offs and the trail isn't very wide and is rocky in parts. A few short sections were chiseled out of solid rock. Once at the top, the views are great. The trails rises and falls and rises and falls from here. On the return trip, you have two other trails that you can take back down to Hot Springs. I took the AT back and the final decent was a blessing.

Fri Sep 10 2010

I recently completed a quick shake down hike in early August 2010 to test out a few things. In the last year I dropped 30 pounds from my body and at least 10 pounds from pack. Plus I got new boots I had to break in. So I thought I'd see how I handle some major uphills on a 5.9 trek from Hot Springs, NC to Tanyard Gap. I finished up in 2.5 hours and that included a 10 minute stop at Mill Pond (I think it's called) to enjoy the site and catch a breather. The good news is that my new boots felt pretty good but still require more breaking in. The great news is that I practically flew uphill including through the 9 switchbacks at the beginning which are all up a steep incline. I carried around 29 pounds including full shelter, sleep gear, clothes, first aid, cooking gear, 1 day of food, 3 liters of water, etc. 2 liters of my water were in a bladder system with a hose that hung over my shoulder. That was super convenient as I didn't have to stop frequently to quench my thirst. Once I figured out how to get it to work, it worked flawlessly. I plan on carrying that on future hikes. My bag wasn't designed to carry it but I made it work. So, I've learned that I can handle a faster pace and don't have to stop at the top (or near the top) of all of the uphills I face (which was my normal method). I recommend this hike for anyone who needs to break in some boots or test out a new pack. I also recommend the $5 shuttle from Bluff Mountain Outfitters. I left my car in Hot Springs and called them for a ride when I was at Tanyard Gap. I didn't have to wait 5 minutes for them to show up. Of course, you may want to arrange the ride before hand. It's not required but it's very helpful and considerate.

Fri Nov 16 2018