Appalachian Trail: Carvers Gap to US 19E

Appalachian Trail: Carvers Gap to US 19E is a 16.7 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bakersville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,408 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

This trail is great for backpacking and normally would make an overnight backpacking trip. This hike begins at Carver's Gap parking lot. You can either take the AT trail at the Carver's Gap parking lot or walk up the road 2 miles to get to the parking area near Roan High Knob.

5 men, age 48 to 56, 2 were experienced scout leaders who'd done this trail before. This is a hard trail. We hiked day 1 about 5 miles, to Overmountain where we camped. It was 18 degrees that night we slept in the old barn, and it didnt provide much shelter from the wind and cold. The second day, another difficult hike much of it uphill, ended with camp at Dolly flats, probably another 6 miles. The third day was about 2 hour hike out, mostly downhill. overall, really glad I did it, but was very tough.

This is a fantastic hike. You cannot beat the gorgeous scenery from the balds! I hiked this last Wednesday with two friends, and we completed it in 8 hours. It is strenuous, but worth the effort. Didn’t see a lot of water, but then we did not stop at any shelter other than the Stan Murray. It was 34* when we began at Carver’s Gap in RMSP, and 56* when we reached 19E. We thought we were hiking 15 miles, based on the AT map. Not bad for three ladies 50-65! I’d hike it again.

the views and scenery are beautiful, however, I will say this trail is probably closer to 18 miles according to everyones wearables, than the 14 miles that was listed online before we left. There we're only 2 main campsites on this portion of the trail. We hiked about 6.5 miles in the first day to the campsite at the Over Mountain Shelter at yellow Mountain Gap (red Barn). The next day we went about 8 miles, over a couple mountains to the next campsite at the Doll Flats, and then 4 miles out to 19E the last day. Both locations had water access and campfire sites. Unfortunately, we we're at the second campsite with a large group of boys scouts whose leaders woke them up at 4 or 5am by yelling and talking loudly, waking up everyone in and around the campsite (very frustrating when you're tired and sore from carrying heavy packs for 2 days). Other than that it was very nice. If you're looking to hike a few miles into a campsite and stay for a couple days, the hike in from 19E to the Doll Flats site is a nice shaded hike through the bush and is only about 4 miles. If you do the whole trail, just be prepared...it is a pretty strenuous hike if you're carrying a heavy load. Overall it was very beautiful, but very tiring!

just returned with scout troop mainly 12 year old boys backpacking. trail was nice well marked, conditions very dry water only at the red barn and doll flats! had to carry extra water which was a challenge views are amazing, great time with some great young men of troop 97

Great views and moderately difficult. Camped at over mountain shelter and hiked back out. Will do it again!

Amazing and strenuous hike. Completed in one day. The views were beyond compare!!!

amazing experience be ready for a hike!!!!! make sure you have good gear

So rather than hiking all the way to 16E and getting a shuttle, we chose to do an out and back and turn around at Hump Mountain. I loved it, it's one of my favorites and I would do it again. Lots of great views. For a recap, check out my video here: https://youtu.be/C7FFvYhlrH0

We completed the hike in 2 days. The view from the Hump is really worth the hard trail. The total distance is around 19 miles from the carvers Gap to US-19E

I did this trial about a year ago and would do it again. The trail was longer, though. It was a little over 19 instead of 13.3 as this site suggested, so be prepared for that. Along the trial, I did see two bears. They will a good distance away, but it still a good idea to be cautious and know how to camp in a bear area. The first couple of miles were a little tough, but the views were great.

Nice trail! Started at carvers Gap, camped on little hump and finished up at E19. Flowers were tall all over the balds.

Hiked in late Aug. Defantly park at ths cloudland mountain top with the bathrooms. amazing views and car is a lot safer if your overnighting it. its says 13miles but we clocked 19 and so did many others we ran into. Took a shuttle at 19E back to cloudtop that was %100 worth it. camped our last night 1000ft from the car and on top of a beautiful mountain. the views and trails through the forest are probably my favorite part of Tennessee Hiking. 360° views if the smoke rolls out of the mountains. The trails to the views are very worth it. WHEN i come back I will do it from 19E up to cloudtop to end with the mountain views.

First day on the AT, hiked from the bed n breakfast hostel up to the Over Mountain Shelter. Almost all up hill proved to be tough on us for our first day. But great views and an awesome time. Stopped to camp for the night after 8 hrs of hiking. Stopped it a little late as I forgot to save due to hunger and wanting to change into clean clothes lol. Great day!

Hiking the Roan highlands is hard to beat, amazing views,hiking across the balds and when you reach big hump your treated with a full 360 view. There are lots of great places to camp as well as multiple water sources.

A lot of work and not a lot of scenery.

Easily one of the best hiking trips I’ve ever been on. So beautiful and worth the long trek.

An adventure but worth the work! Beautiful views, sunsets, and sunrises! Multiple water sources and shelters. I usually take a shuttle from Mountain Harbour at Hwy 19E back to carvers gap parking

Beautiful scenery, a bit windy on the balds. Downhill is steep at the end. So many different types of terrain! The wildflowers early to mid June are absolutely beautiful. Azalea, rhododendron, grays lilies!

Loved this hike! Balds are amazing. A real good workout. Lots of ups and downs. Good views also, plus a bar at the end! Very welcome.

This trail was gorgeous! Highly recommend. There were five of us that went, two had never been backpacking before and they loved it. We did more like 15 miles by the time we reached the end. We started Monday around 1pm and finished Wednesday around 1pm. The views are amazing, we camped at the Overmountain Shelter one night and on top of Hump Mountain the second night. Hump mountain was windy (as expected) but it was worth it to wake up to those views! Definitely take the time to do this hike if you’re in the area!

This hike was pretty challenging in places. Big Hump has probably the best view on the hike!! It says it's 13.3 miles but we calculated around 19 with another group that had an actual map

Best hike on NC section of AT hands down: picturesque views, mountain peaks, rhododendron forest, well marked, Overmountain Shelter. Not very technical but very hilly so lots of ups.

Love this hike. Have completed it 4 times. Camping on top of small hump is a must! Fantastic views! Not for beginners.

The Carvers Gap portion of the AT is amazing and wonderful! I hope you go and even the short hike to the first bald is breathtaking filled with beautiful fauna and varied terrain including a shaded area reminiscent of being in Lord of the Rings opening out to mountain range as far as the eye can see. A multitude of photo opportunities abound! This section was voted most scenic vista on the entire Appalachian Trail by hikers from all over the world! It does not disappoint. Going beyond the first bald on to Jane Bald and beyond is rocky and narrow at times requiring good footwear and adequate hydration and I recommend at minimum taking some fruit and protein. If you bear right past Jane Bald and plan to hike the entire section of to 19 E you should plan on camping overnight at one of two shelters or in a meadow. This area has rapid changes in weather so know before you go and pack light layers even for a day hike. I feel blessed to have found this wonderful trail and have enjoyed showing it to others. I definitely feel the presence of God here on the mountain tops and feel refreshed when I go.

This was a difficult trail for me, but only because it was a lot of elevation gain and I’m out of shape. I hiked this in two days with my dog and he did great! He had no trouble with any part of the trail. The best part were the Roan Highlands: simply beautiful and worth it to get there. All in all, 8/10 would recommend!

Hiked this trail back in November 2018. Was extremely cold and windy on Hump Mountain. Regardless, we had an absolute blast! We stayed at Overmountain Shelter, and it was an amazing experience. Highly recommend this jaunt. Do not expect an easy hike, as the topography is very hilly.

Beautiful views!!!