Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Appalachian Trail: Carvers Gap to US 19E

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(273)
Cherokee National Forest

Appalachian Trail: Carvers Gap to US 19E is a 16.7 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bakersville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,408 feet Route Type: Point to Point

This trail is great for backpacking and normally would make an overnight backpacking trip. This hike begins at Carver's Gap parking lot. You can either take the AT trail at the Carver's Gap parking lot or walk up the road 2 miles to get to the parking area near Roan High Knob.

AMAZING VIEWS!!! Do not miss the chance to see this with your own eyes! Pictures do not do it justice.

Pretty easy hike! Great views, tends to get crowded.

icy

I did this hike with my mother yesterday. We made this into a day hike by using the shuttle service at The Station at 19E Hostel (which I would definitely recommend!) This hike was absolutely spectacular and gorgeous, and I would suggest it to literally anyone. You simply have to do it! Just note at the BEGINNING of the trail, there was still some icy patches on an incline that were slippery and posed a bit of a challenge. Just be aware of where you step! There's also a great deal of rocky parts at the end of the trail. Still completely worth it! Do not miss out on this trail!

An amazing trail for amazing views! It is a relatively easy hike, and it’s definitely worth it! It also has multiple spots for overnight camping.

icy

5 men, age 48 to 56, 2 were experienced scout leaders who'd done this trail before. This is a hard trail. We hiked day 1 about 5 miles, to Overmountain where we camped. It was 18 degrees that night we slept in the old barn, and it didnt provide much shelter from the wind and cold. The second day, another difficult hike much of it uphill, ended with camp at Dolly flats, probably another 6 miles. The third day was about 2 hour hike out, mostly downhill. overall, really glad I did it, but was very tough.

This is a fantastic hike. You cannot beat the gorgeous scenery from the balds! I hiked this last Wednesday with two friends, and we completed it in 8 hours. It is strenuous, but worth the effort. Didn’t see a lot of water, but then we did not stop at any shelter other than the Stan Murray. It was 34* when we began at Carver’s Gap in RMSP, and 56* when we reached 19E. We thought we were hiking 15 miles, based on the AT map. Not bad for three ladies 50-65! I’d hike it again.

the views and scenery are beautiful, however, I will say this trail is probably closer to 18 miles according to everyones wearables, than the 14 miles that was listed online before we left. There we're only 2 main campsites on this portion of the trail. We hiked about 6.5 miles in the first day to the campsite at the Over Mountain Shelter at yellow Mountain Gap (red Barn). The next day we went about 8 miles, over a couple mountains to the next campsite at the Doll Flats, and then 4 miles out to 19E the last day. Both locations had water access and campfire sites. Unfortunately, we we're at the second campsite with a large group of boys scouts whose leaders woke them up at 4 or 5am by yelling and talking loudly, waking up everyone in and around the campsite (very frustrating when you're tired and sore from carrying heavy packs for 2 days). Other than that it was very nice. If you're looking to hike a few miles into a campsite and stay for a couple days, the hike in from 19E to the Doll Flats site is a nice shaded hike through the bush and is only about 4 miles. If you do the whole trail, just be prepared...it is a pretty strenuous hike if you're carrying a heavy load. Overall it was very beautiful, but very tiring!

just returned with scout troop mainly 12 year old boys backpacking. trail was nice well marked, conditions very dry water only at the red barn and doll flats! had to carry extra water which was a challenge views are amazing, great time with some great young men of troop 97

Great views and moderately difficult. Camped at over mountain shelter and hiked back out. Will do it again!

Amazing and strenuous hike. Completed in one day. The views were beyond compare!!!

amazing experience be ready for a hike!!!!! make sure you have good gear

So rather than hiking all the way to 16E and getting a shuttle, we chose to do an out and back and turn around at Hump Mountain. I loved it, it's one of my favorites and I would do it again. Lots of great views. For a recap, check out my video here: https://youtu.be/C7FFvYhlrH0

We completed the hike in 2 days. The view from the Hump is really worth the hard trail. The total distance is around 19 miles from the carvers Gap to US-19E

I did this trial about a year ago and would do it again. The trail was longer, though. It was a little over 19 instead of 13.3 as this site suggested, so be prepared for that. Along the trial, I did see two bears. They will a good distance away, but it still a good idea to be cautious and know how to camp in a bear area. The first couple of miles were a little tough, but the views were great.

Nice trail! Started at carvers Gap, camped on little hump and finished up at E19. Flowers were tall all over the balds.

Hiked in late Aug. Defantly park at ths cloudland mountain top with the bathrooms. amazing views and car is a lot safer if your overnighting it. its says 13miles but we clocked 19 and so did many others we ran into. Took a shuttle at 19E back to cloudtop that was %100 worth it. camped our last night 1000ft from the car and on top of a beautiful mountain. the views and trails through the forest are probably my favorite part of Tennessee Hiking. 360° views if the smoke rolls out of the mountains. The trails to the views are very worth it. WHEN i come back I will do it from 19E up to cloudtop to end with the mountain views.

First day on the AT, hiked from the bed n breakfast hostel up to the Over Mountain Shelter. Almost all up hill proved to be tough on us for our first day. But great views and an awesome time. Stopped to camp for the night after 8 hrs of hiking. Stopped it a little late as I forgot to save due to hunger and wanting to change into clean clothes lol. Great day!

Hiking the Roan highlands is hard to beat, amazing views,hiking across the balds and when you reach big hump your treated with a full 360 view. There are lots of great places to camp as well as multiple water sources.

A lot of work and not a lot of scenery.

Easily one of the best hiking trips I’ve ever been on. So beautiful and worth the long trek.

An adventure but worth the work! Beautiful views, sunsets, and sunrises! Multiple water sources and shelters. I usually take a shuttle from Mountain Harbour at Hwy 19E back to carvers gap parking

Beautiful scenery, a bit windy on the balds. Downhill is steep at the end. So many different types of terrain! The wildflowers early to mid June are absolutely beautiful. Azalea, rhododendron, grays lilies!