Appalachian Trail and Sweat Heifer Grassy Branch Loop Trail

Appalachian Trail and Sweat Heifer Grassy Branch Loop Trail is a 16.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

we planned on hiking Andrew's Bald, but completely forgot the road to Clingmans Dome is closed until April. So we hiked Sweat Heifer instead. for someone who's not in the greatest of shape, it wasn't that bad. My ankles hurt more than anything. Parts of the trail were icy and muddy slush, which made things even more interesting haha. we took several pictures, so we made several short stops. Once we got to the split, we took a right and stopped at a small grassy area. it was the perfect place to sit down, have a snack, and relax. After seeing more pictures, I wish we would've continued down the trail a bit more. The views weren't spectacular, but seeing the smoke roll in and the parts you could look out were beautiful. this hike isn't too terribly bad, I'd recommend it to anyone, just have good shoes, and water. slow and steady wins the race!! happy hiking.

A buddy and I overnighted this trail. Stayed at Kephart, don’t let the “moderate” rating fool you this is a tough trail. Sweet heifer creek trail is about 3.7 Miles with a roughly 2000 ft elevation change, not to mention several trees down over the trail. Kephart is a great little lodge with a decent size creek next to it down in the valley. We detoured a bit and went to the jump-off, it’s worth the .6 miles to see it.

scenic driving