Appalachain Trail to Jump Off Trail

Appalachain Trail to Jump Off Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

There is a restroom at Newfound Gap close to the trailhead.

Squirrels present. View was also nice. Not as cool as the squirrels.

The view is absolutely worth every step. I would definitely hike to this spot for the view again!

Broad and well maintained trail. I recommend doing Charlie's Bunion instead for a much better view. It took me 1 hour to get to the drop off. It's only 2.6M round trip to Charlie's bunion, or only 2M more on relatively little incline.

Amazing views.

Wow! That was a long hike as we added in the Charlie Bunion trail also. It was exactly what I imagined the AP trail to look like. The views are amazing. We saw deer, squirrel and birds. Great trails. Took amazing photos and drank so much water.

It was a thought hike in the icy path, but totally work it! Great views

Thank god for trekking poles and hiking boots. Lots of rocks and tree roots on the trail and an incline all the way up. Once you make it to the top the view is absolutely breathtaking and worth every step.

My favorite in the Smokies

Great side trip if you are staying at Ice Water Springs shelter. Great view of the Sawtooth range.

This was an interesting hike. First I would like to add this hike is described as moderate. I post my reviews more towards those who are not the experienced hiker..so this probably should have been marked as difficult. But we thoroughly enjoyed this hike,there were some tough spots here and there as far as the incline,but once you reach Jump Off it's entirely worth it! The views were phenomenal,but please be careful the drop is literally a disorienting long vertical drop! Very intense ,loved it! It actually ended up being just under 7 miles. I was not anticipating it being a tourist spot,but after I realized when we parked in the Newfound Gap popular parking area..it was inevitable of how many tourists would be on the trail. I enjoy very little traffic when I am hiking but this hike had an amazing view which in the end was worth it. There were a lot of bear skat-so be cautious . If you come across a strong pungent odor, which is much a long the trail,that's bear skat for the most part. We saw a few droppings. All around enjoyed the outcome!!! Phenomenal views!!

#views

The hike to the Jump Off is usually combined with a hike out to Charlies Bunion or to Mt. LeConte. It is a great day hike to do by itself too. The Jump Off is a vertical cliff on Mt. Kephart that has spectacular views of Charlies Bunion, the Greenbrier area of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and on a clear day you can easily see Douglas Lake outside the park.

The route out the Appalachian Trail is a bit rocky and has some roots on it once you get about a 1/2 mile from the trailhead located at Newfound Gap. Hiking boots should be worn on this hike, but I have seen a lot of day hikers just go in sneakers. Views along the AT potion are limited, but be sure to follow any spur trails to the side of the trail since they usually lead to a good vista view.

Be careful on the spur trail out to the Jump Off since it is not a well maintained trail. Caution is also advised near the edge of the Jump Off since it is a LONG vertical drop.