Forney Ridge Trail

Forney Ridge Trail is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The starting view from Clingmans Dome was beautiful as well as the view from Andrews Bald. The first mile of Forney Ridge trail was neat, you walk through some rocky terrain. The remaing 3 miles of the trail was a little boring for an out and back trail. Next time we will make it a loop trail by taking the Springhouse branch trail from Forney Ridge to meet up with the Forney creek trail.

A few neat views from the top, otherwise will make it a loop next time.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Nice hike with lovely views. Would be better if blackberries were ripe.

Monday, July 04, 2016

pretty. rough in spots wile flowers are amazing

Friday, November 27, 2015

Beautiful short , moderate hike. The out and back trail is a little rocky but neat with ferns and moss. View from bald is like being in the Sound of Music.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Love Andrews Bald. Hiking down you feel like you are in an enchanted forest. I expected to see a couple fairies. Great hike. Don't go too early, wait for the fog to lift so you can see when you get to the open area.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Great views in November, a lot less people

Friday, September 04, 2015

Nice moderate hike. If you go early the mountain views from the bald are great. Some parts are rocky and there are built in steps too but you want to have at least one trekking pole.

Friday, August 21, 2015

This was a great hike! Very beautiful!

Saturday, August 08, 2015

good hike but definitely Rocky...take a walking stick with you to help navigate...

Monday, August 03, 2015

One of my favorite short hikes. Great hike on a clear day and you've got a lot of other things to do/see.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Not to bad hiking in. But can be a little rough going out. If you don't like climbing stairs don't go.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Predominantly downhill in; uphill out. Gorgeous and rewarding views, but be prepared for the uphill haul to get out!

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great hike. My five and seven year olds were troopers, but if we'd have gone on the trail first, if not have taken the kids back; it was pretty tough for them. The view at the bald is amazing!!!! Worth the hike to experience a great view of God's handiwork! As an added bonus, we ran across a mama bear and two small cubs! We also found ample sign of wild boar.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Andrews Bald I really enjoyed this short hike. I went Memorial Day weekend while it was hard to find parking and the crowds of people making their way to Clingmons Dome were loud I found myself in the quit forest just a short distance from the trail head. I did notice a few people making their way back up to the top. Some were out of breath so I knew it would be a pretty good pull walking out. After making my way down the rocky steps I found myself enjoying the cool air and smells of the forests. The trail levels out for a short distance then one short pull then down to the bald. Coming out of the forest and feeling the warm sun on my face I knew I had made it to my goal. The views are amazing the soft grass makes for s perfect picnic or place to take a nap in the sun. Andrews Bald has to be one of the most beautiful places in the park. I couldn't help but think of all those people on the top that were missing out of this hidden treasure but was happy to lay in the grass by myself.
I will be back to the bald and I've been telling my friends to check it out.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Beautiful hike. Gentle wild flowers with blue yellow red and magenta colors. Sharp contrast to the touristy clingmans dome, this is a tranquil trail covered by greeneries, tree trunks, grovels and boulder stairs meandering through the forest. Rich meadows with mountain view is awaiting to the end.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Great hike! Great friends! Beautiful nature!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Gorgeous trail. I cannot attest to the view for the fall day I went we couldn't shake the clouds. Fun hike though.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Beautiful hike. We had the pleasure of snacking on huckleberries on the bald. Very nice hike.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

One of the prettiest hikes I've ever been on! The bald is a great place to have a picnic lunch. Try to go on a day where there is not much fog.