American Tobacco Trail

American Tobacco Trail is a 16.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Durham, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Well-maintained and well kept. The southern restroom is clean but waterless. The other restrooms are much better. Great ride for the family. Gets more crowded as you head north but what do you expect for free?

very bad I got robbed there by three guys and its very unsafe at the American tobacco trail. WATCH OUT!!!

great for bikes, quite boring and crowded

Very crowded. If you time it right it's perfect to get in some great mileage for stamina.

I've only been on the more urban sections so I found this trail very crowded. Lots of bikers so not recommended for dogs. Not very quiet and peaceful but good for local exercise.

We have only completed a relatively small urban section of the trail at its northern end. In addition to getting some exercise, we also enjoyed exploring the restored American Tobacco Historic District before ending with a nice meal and a show at the Durham Performing Arts Center. Not a bad way to spend a few hours!

I'm on the north side of the trail, and u hear the south side is better. it's still beautifu, great for walking, and lots of people. I get uneasy in some parts though.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

I am fortunate to live near the entrance to the American Tobacco Trail that is at the 7 mile marker so it is about a 15-mile round trip whether I go north to downtown Durham or south into Chatham county.

The northern section of the trail from downtown to the I-40 bridge is more urban and has roughly 10-11 street crossings which makes for unwanted stops for cyclists.

The southern section from the I-40 bridge at SouthPointe mall to New Hope Church Rd in Morrisville/Chatham is more woodsy. It's a great ride with about 4-5 crossings and at least three areas with water/restroom facilities.