Amadahy Trail

Amadahy Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wilbar, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a moderate trail with some small, beautiful waterfalls along the way. The trail is mostly along old logging roads, but they've grown over. It might be a bit steep for young or amateur hikers. During mid-April, the trail was littered with local wild flowers: crocuses, lilies, wild violets (including white, violet, and a striated version), rue anemone, penny wort, blood root, star of Bethlehem, Appalachian stitchwort, white baneberry, foam flower, galax, and turkey beard. This trail is closed on Mondays.

Enjoyed it. Beautiful view. I would come back in the spring when the trees and flowers are in bloom.

WARNING: THEY ARE CLOSED ON MONDAYS. There was a couple who pulled up to the gate behind me who didn't know they'd be closed either. They said they didn't see anything about it being closed today when they were looking at it on the internet. I wish I didn't have to rate a place I've never seen, but I have to in order to post this. When I go back and actually hike, I'll update the rating and review.

My wife and I hiked this trail, and did it in 1.5 hours, though the trail head marker says 2 hours, and we took our time. The footing during the first mile is sometimes tricky do to loose schist. There are a few nice vistas from the saddles along the ridge, and it's a great spot for native North Carolina flora. Saw NO animals, though it was pretty warm. The last 1/2 mile or so of the trail is on a paved service road. Again, if your interested in native plants, this is a great hike.

Monday, May 30, 2016