5 Peaks Trail

5 Peaks Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike was fun and challenging with great views. We got to the parking lot around 8 or so and it was almost empty. Note, the bathrooms don't open til 9 I think, so you have to hike down into the picnic area to find some unlocked bathrooms at the start. We hiked counterclockwise, with Hanging Rock first and Moore's Knob last. There were probably 10 or so other people at Hanging Rock when we got there, so not too bad. Best views were from Moore's Knob but it was hot and buggy by the time we got there. The whole thing took us about 5-5.5 hours with ample time stopping at the overlooks. It got toasty and much more crowded towards the end. I didn't think the Cook's Wall portion added much to the experience and the trail was overgrown. I also didn't really enjoy the last mile or so by the lake and parking lots -- not a very fun way to end the hike! It's definitely more than 9.5 miles; more like 10.8 or even longer.

I just this two days ago. I did about 13 miles. I started at Window and Hidden Falls then over to Hanging Rock (about the only place I saw people but wasn't many). Then made my way over to Wolf Rock, House Rock, then to Cooks Wall then back to House Rock and took the Magnolia Springs Trail North until I hit Moores Wall up to Moores Knob then headed down all the stairs towards Upper Cascade Falls to the parking lot where I then drove to the Lower Cascade Falls. I'll just sum the day up as absolutely beautiful and definitely worth every bit of it. Definitely worked on my legs. And all of the mountains had beautiful sights with Moores Knob as the best the Hanging Rock a very close second. I enjoyed it so much I will be back to do it again. Definitely bring water and good shoes.

Very good hike. 600 steps in the beginning trail as I left counterclockwise. 300 steps up hanging rock...all of the peaks were lightly traveled except hanging rock. Packed. A kid apparently fell two weeks before my hike. There must have been 60 people on hanging rock when I got there.

We completed this hike yesterday. We went clockwise leaving Moore’s knob until last. That’s a difficult climb to end with but I didn’t feel like heading up a mile of steps at the beginning. Next time we will try counterclockwise, starting at Moore’s knob. It was very beautiful and satisfying to complete. Not much traffic except around hanging rock. Fantastic views. Take plenty of water. My son who has had four heart surgeries managed this without difficulty, so not too bad at all. Great day hike.

I also reccomend doing Moore's Nob first (counterclockwise). I started with Hanging Rock first, met a busload of 3rd graders coming down the trail and an additional 15 or so at the top. Maybe that'll thin-out if you do it last. Its definitely an easier finishing segment. I did the entire loop and the map shows about 10 miles, my phone shows closer to 11. Eating lunch, sightseeing, little more than 5 hours.

I would recommend doing Moore’s knob first for sure. Because it’s a loop there you can take that either clockwise or counterclockwise as well. Counterclockwise has a ton of steps first and more of a sloping path down which I prefer but my group didn’t. Out of five of us only two made it the whole way and if you park by hanging rock so you end near your car is a great idea. If you do this and walk to the trail head of Moore’s knob it ended up being a little over 13 miles on my gps watch

Had a great time on this hike. As others have mentioned, I recommend a counter-clockwise approach. Nice scenery and a nice workout.

Great views and fun tough hike. I would definitely recommend going counterclockwise and hit hanging rock last.

Perfect full day hike. Challenging but not overly physical with great views. If you can tackle 10+ mile hikes, I highly suggest this one!

my dogs and I completed the Reach the Peaks challenge. love these trails

Sunday, August 13, 2017

I did the 5 peak challenge. Phenomenal views and so exciting to complete. I'm a Rock Star.

Monday, August 07, 2017

This is a nice hike to all 5 peaks at Hanging Rock State Park. If you go counter-clockwise, you'll face the hardest climb first, with pretty much a mile of stairs to climb to get to the top of Moore's Knob. Approaching it clockwise leaves Moore's Knob til last, and then the ascent is about a 2 mile climb with a lot of rocks and scrambling - your choice! Have fun!

recorded 5 Peaks Trail