Wright Peak Trail

Wright Peak Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Amazing hike! Rocky, technical, amazing views at the top. We had three dogs with us some hard parts to do w a dog but not impossible! Windy at the top make sure to bring a jacket if you want to stay up there for awhile.

Perfect weather. This was a great quick one. The summit is one of my favorite so far due to both the view of the surrounding peaks and the fall vegetation within the last couple hundred feet of the summit. Although the conditions had been dry it was still quite slippery in some spots. Looking up at Algonquin towering over you puts things into perspective. Some have rated this as difficult but its all relative i guess. Surprisingly there was plenty of parking available at the loj for a perfect fall Sunday morning.

No view at all owing to weather, but can't fault the mountain or trail for that. Plan was to combine with Algonquin and Iroquois, but with no hope of a view, turned back after Wright.

I love everything about this mountain, right down to the history behind it. I highly recommend hiking in the fall, the colors are outstanding.

This trail is DIFFICULT. going your own pace is advised. We were lucky and on our way up had wonderful weather however it had rained the day before so the rocks were a little slippery coming back down. the last stretch to get to the summit was i bit more difficult then the rest of the hike and the trails were well marked. We were both out of shape and hadn't been hiking in over a year so it did take us all day but beautiful views once at the top!! Well worth it!! What peak isn't? :)

This is an awesome trail. Did it with two friends of mine, less advanced at hiking than I am and we were fine. However, this is not an easy trail....it is DIFFICULT. We ascended at 2am to reach Wright Peak for sunrise. IT was raining and that makes all the rock surfaces slippery and hard to climb, especially the last 0.4 mile to the summit. The trail is very well marked, and it gets busy around 9am. Super fun climb, lots of varied terrain, great plants, and the alpine plant reintroduction program is great too. The view on Wright Peak is amazing and this hike it 100% worth the challenge, prepare for a hard but rewarding day in the Adirondacks. Bonus: portapottys at the trail head are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Not a very difficult hike. Last 1/4 mile is exposed and can be a little steep at parts. Plane wreckage has been relatively picked over unfortunately, with a plaque still marking its location. Bald summit with what would be an amazing 360 view if not for its bigger brother Algonquin impeding a portion of the view from the south. Still, great views looking north and east on clear days. Summit can be a bit windy making it a bit cool even on a summer day. Trail can be quite popular during the summer months as many hikers combine Wright with Algonquin and Iroquois, so be prepared to share the summit.

Went up in winter 2016. Had low visibility so didn't get any views at the top, but I'm sure they would've been spectacular. The last section above treeline can get pretty windy and there are huge cairns the size of people marking the way; and I understood why when I descended in a snow squall. Make sure to check out the plane wreckage near the summit, I didn't get a chance to see it while I was up there. Just be mindful though not to step on any of the fragile alpine vegetation. Definitely want to go up again; looks to be an awesome summit to visit in the summer.

Great hike, took us 7 hours with an hour rest at the top. Black flies were out in force! Parking lot was full by 09:00. 60 degrees 15 knot winds at the top, BEAUTIFUL view! 85 degree's at the bottom around 16:00. Great day, but I am still sore 3 days later!