Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois via Algonquin Trail

Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois via Algonquin Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Elba, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great views from all three peaks. From Wright and Algonquin you have a great view of Lake Placid. You can even see the Olympic Ski jump. From Algonquin and Iroquois you'll have a nice view of high peaks to both the East and West. The first mile and a half are relatively flat with sparse rocks. After that you'll start gaining elevation quickly. At this point the density of rocks and size of rocks will increase. Wright peak is a fun stop. There are lots of bare rock faces on the trek up. After that, you'll continue up towards Algonquin. From this point you'll be walking on mostly bare rock face. On a dry day this will probably be straight forward. In wet and muddy conditions be prepared to spend more energy climbing rock face and finding little foot holds to prevent slipping. From Algonquin the trip to Iroquois is fun and simple. Follow the cairns down the south side of Algonquin and you'll eventually find a maintained trail. At some point you'll come to a sharp left turn and a sign that says foot trail left. To get to Iroquois you'll want to ignore this sign and look for a herd path to the right of the sign. This will take you to Iroquois. If you start rapidly losing elevation, you missed the heard path.

This is definitely in my top 5 hikes ever. When I got to the Wright/ Algonquin split I wasn’t sure how the weather would hold up so I decided to skip Wright in case I had to come back another day. Partly cloudy at on Algonquin and Iroquois but being in the clouds was otherworldly. Once you get up Algonquin the trail to Iroquois is pretty easy as you pretty much stay above tree-line. As others say, don’t take the yellow arrow, but someone has labeled the the Iroquois path in sharpie so you really can’t get lost if you read it. (*Take this arrow on the way down to take you to Lake Colden and you can avoid climbing Alg. twice) It cleared up and so I did go back over Alg. to get Wright, but I would recommend if you can avoid this just to do Wright first. From the summit you can really see just how massive Algonquin is. Lots of rocks, views, and an overall amazing hike.

Completed on 8/12/18. Long hike up to Algonquin - left at 6:30am and got to the peak around 8:45. Lots of rocks followed by some very steep slab. Finally you get toward the peak and hit some rock scrambling on the way up. Views were OK in the morning but cloud cover persisted toward Marcy, so I headed out to Iroquois and figured I'd come back later to see if visibility had improved. Hike to Iroquois was fairly easy on the way there, apart from a very narrow trail and some tricky rock scrambling. But the views were amazing, especially down toward Lake Colden. Hike back up to Algonquin was no picnic - very steep coming up the back side. Hung out for a while, had lunch, then headed down toward Wright. By the time I got to the trailhead for Wright I was really feeling worn out, but I figured I might never be back so I pushed on up the very steep climb to Wright, where I was rewarded with the best views of the day, as the sun had come out. Trek back down Wright and to Loj was not much fun and seemed to take forever. Very memorable hike. Between this and Cascade/Porter on Saturday I knocked off 5 high peaks in one weekend.

I’m currently just under half way finished with the 46 and this was my favorite high peaks hike yet and one I’d be interested in doing again. Took 7 hours round trip with 10-15 on each summit (minus Boundary). Started at 4:30am heading from the loj and turned right at the first split to head to algonquin. The trail starts with some woods and rock hopping for a while. Eventually the trail becomes long steep rock slabs for a large portion of the trail, it was quite unique so far to what I’ve experienced (you’ll see what I mean when you go). Some soul crushingly steep and long sections of trail as well. Then as you leave the tree line it’s a long but amazing scramble to the top (as it is on all 3 peaks). Full views for all these long scrambles finishing off to the summits so that makes for a really fun hike. Made it to Algonquin in 2 hours 20 minutes. Was cloudy and windy this day so we didn’t stay too long (though you can tell this hike might have the best views of any hike around) and quickly went over to Iroquois (after going over Boundary mountain first). Make sure you take the correct trail at the split (follow markers and cairns down back side of Algonquin to trail split but take the trail to the right to Iroquois as the sign pointing you left goes down to Lake Colden, it’s easy to have the brain on auto-pilot and end up taking the wrong trail here). Narrow trail after getting back in the tree line. Took only 1 hour 20 minutes to get over to Iroquois and back to Algonquin. Similar awesome and enormous rocky summit with huge views. Started down towards Wright and went up from trail split. Took between 20-30 minutes to summit from split. We had great views for a few minutes then back to cloud coverage. We left and went down. Overall the terrain and hike was great. It might be difficult with young children and dogs due to the long and steep slabs and rock scrambles. There are much more friendlier mountains to hike with dogs and younger kids.

Incredible climb even on a cloudy day. Started with a moderate climb to Wright, and the clouds whiting out the atmosphere made it seem like you could slip off the slabs into nothingness. But the wind was blowing and the clouds shifted to offer a partial view of Algonquin that was breathtaking. Path to Algonquin was challenging in a similar way with more slab and steep sections where you want to use your hands. Unfortunately, on the way to Iroquois I missed the herd path and headed halfway down the other side of the mountain before realizing my mistake to hike back up again. Otherwise, the extension to Iroquois is flat and an easy addition to the trail. Wish there were better views from the latter two, but the clouds covered everything.

It was a long hike but the sense of accomplishment after getting to the bottom made up for it. I brought three liters of water and I ran out about half way down, make sure you take plenty! The views from the three peaks were amazing. It started cloudy but on Algonquin I could see the Green Mountains in Vermont, about a hundred miles to the east.

This is a long trail...my fit bit registered 34,000 steps and over 16 miles. That said, totally doable as a day hike, but be prepared for multiple ups and downs. And, for the record, I drank the last of my 100 oz. hydration pack water with probably 2 miles left on the trail. Trail is ridiculously well marked and it's basically impossible to get lost. There are people around here and there too, so if you have questions on distances or difficulties, you'll likely get the answers you require.
Views are on a different level, even from Wright.
I did Wright, then Algonquin, then Boundary, then Iroquois, then back, skipping Wright on the return of course.
Couldn't find geo markers on any summit except Algonquin. Super windy. On what ended up being an 83 degree day, I left the Adirondack Loj at 6:30 when it was 45 degrees. Two hours and 10 min later I'm at Wright summit and my hands were freezing... it was that windy. I literally wished I'd had light gloves.
Bring clothing to combat the high winds and possible low temps up top. You'll be glad you did.
Some pretty sketchy rock scrambles on both Wright and Iroquois, but especially Iroquois. You'll definitely need to push yourself up in many, many spots.
This is not a trail for beginners and I heard from some dog owners that their dogs were having difficulties with some of the rock scrambling. On your way to Iroquois the trail splits and there's a sign saying Iroqouis to the right...take it...it puts you on a super narrow herd path that will take you to Boundary and then Iroquois. No worries; you can't miss this sign.

Be prepared for climbing, descending, climbing, descending, climbing, descending, and on and on. I spent maybe 20 minutes or so at summit of each (other than Boundary) and didn't arrive back to Loj till 3:30 but I wasn't hustling at all.

Bring trail map and start early. Very steep in spots.

Great hike, especially in the winter. Nice trail, amazing views, three high peaks, and it only takes about 6 hours.

Pretty fun hike. Its challenges come in the form of grade. Will be made significantly harder by wet weather.

Sunday, July 30, 2017