Wolf Creek Falls Preserve Trail

Wolf Creek Falls Preserve Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Knox, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is part of the Mohawl Hudson Land Conservancy. It's a 138 acre parcel nestled out in the town of Knox (a short drive from Altamont). The portion of the trails to the West of RT253 contains beautiful field stone walls that remain some of my favorite in the area. These are probably best for walking as the trail is never too far from the lot and is perhaps a bit short for enjoying much of a run.

very pleasant, more than the one loop, going back again to walk the rest of the trails...

Nothing special, just a quick walk in the woods. No complaints.

Its a nice walk. a Bit of confusion on the trails. Eater falls on fantastic when there's an abundance of water. first time I went great water falls this time just a small amount of water. All in all a good place to be in nature.

It is a nice little outing in a very pretty setting but I agree with others who posted here regarding the trails and markings. Despite the fact that they are well marked there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason the the color markings.

It seems like the trails are just a spider web of paths that cross each other at varoius points.

You might start on the yellow trail which quickly turns to white. You follow white to another color and cross the road. Then maybe a few more colors then you pick up the white trail again...

Definitely print a map or pick one up in the registration box or you could just wander around for a while.

Great hike. Trails weren’t too confusing to me, though it’s spring and the leaves haven’t grown in on the trees yet. Because of that I was able to see the tree markers just fine. Only thing that threw me off was the road crossing sign. It was the same color as the tree it was on and I walked right by it. Also a few muddy spots, but with decent hiking boots you’ll be fine.

Only somewhat difficult part of the trail that I want to call out is the stream crossing on the red trail right before the bench. There’s a down tree you can use to cross, but the water was high the day I went so I walked up and around (next to the railroad-be careful.)

So if you’re looking for a quick hike with a tad more adventure that is a little less traveled, this is a great spot.

*If you’re a geocacher - it’s a PERFECT spot for it. Just be careful because of ticks.

Really easy, nice walk. Kind of confusing trails. Beautiful nonetheless

Nice hike, but the trails are pretty confusing. Glad I read previous reviews so I was prepared!

Great trail, but confusing. We ended up on several different trails attempting to find the falls. Muddy with a little bit of snow left near the water. Kid, big dog, and small dog friendly.

They have this trail labeled as "Easy" but I would change that more to "Moderate" - I say that because it was excessively wet in a lot of spots. I did this loop in the Spring, so you do expect some wetness, but not to the extreme that I experienced. Also, a lot of the trails are uneven, due to so many tree roots. Don't get me wrong, I had no troubles, but for some people, and those with limited mobility, this would not be an "Easy" trail. If you stay on the same side of the road as the parking lot, it's relatively flat, but if you cross the road to the other side, you will be walking up hills, so for these reasons, as I mentioned, I would change the grading of this trail from "Easy" more to "Moderate". I noticed other reviews have mentioned that the trails can be confusing, and I would definitely have to agree with that. The trails overlap and criss cross throughout the Preserve, especially when you cross the road. Luckily, I had a GPS map of the trails with me, so it was much easier to navigate. I guess the highlight of the trek are the Falls. My recording of the trail has pics attached, and it will let you know where on the trail the Falls are, if that's all you're interested in.

Trails are way to confusing need to switch trails like half dozen times to do loop need to have a perimeter trail all the with same color markings and then label connecting trails if you don’t have paper map with you you will be very confused. I spent way too much time trying to make sure I was going where I wanted. Also be nice if they label things on the map like the location of the waterfalls. Just so you all know the waterfalls is on the other side of the road from the parking lot. Take red trail to blue trail to white trail to green trail to gold trail to red trail again will take you for a loop. Good luck

The trails where confusing, found some little waterfalls in the red trail across the road. Was an easy walk lots of stone walls

Great trail but tricky. It leads you to an entrance that has no waterfalls.

Great place, many, many trails. Well marked but without a map you’ll be lost. The loop here, on all trails, follows the white, green, blue and red trails for different parts. Easy walking or running.

an amazing trail with beautiful geological views. pretty easy to follow the trails.

the paths are so well maintained, that when we got swarmed by small hornets, we were able to run with ease from the annoying pests.

only reason it wasn't 5 stars was getting repeatedly stung by a swarming hive.

Trails were confusing.

Fun time here last Saturday. Three dads with 4 kids went. 3 kids were in child carriers on back, 1 three year old ran around trails. Short easy hike. We were there for about 2 hours with lots on time in parking lot by trail head. A little buggy but that is expected.

This is a nice, quiet, leisurely trail, and it isn't too long either. The terrain is fairly flat as well, so the kids had fun meandering through the woods. We went in late July, and we have had a lot of rain this summer, so I wasn't sure if there would be a waterfall. Sure enough, there was a small waterfall with a pool at the bottom. The kids had a lot of fun checking out all the crayfish and tiny salamanders.

The trail does branch off a lot in places, so I recommend either printing a map beforehand, taking a photo at the trailhead (there is one posted on the trailhead kiosk), or saving the PDF on your phone from the preserve website.

The trail is fairly well maintained - despite all the recent rain, there were muddy - but not impassable - spots, nothing overgrown. Lots of poison ivy, but the kids already know to keep carefully on the trail between poison ivy and ticks.

There were annoying bugs, but we brought bug spray and none of the bugs seemed to be biting us.

We crossed over the road at one point on the trail, and at the end you have to walk about one house worth down the road. It made me nervous because cars might go fast on this road, but we didn't see any cars either time we were on the road, nor when we arrived or left the parking lot.

The trailhead parking lot is easy to find - Google got us there no problem. It is a nice gravel lot that comfortably holds at least 5-6 cars.

A little hard to follow the trail markers and there are more trail connections than you see on All Trails. We and 2 other groups we encountered didn't see anything about falls on the maps, though we found some parts of the creek that may be fall-ish.

I hiked this trail first than mountain biked it.. great hike great place to ride.. not to hard but some steep climbs

Beautiful views. Nice easy relaxing hike.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice little hike, dig friendly!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

We had a great time on this trail today. Our son had great fun finding salamanders and frogs. We will definitely be back.

Monday, August 22, 2016

I hung out where there's supposed to be a waterfall- no water but it was still a pretty scene. Got to investigate the pool at the bottom which had some shrimp like creatures. Otherwise the hike wasn't very remarkable. Will probably go back when there's more water running at the falls.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Not a bad hike. Trails are marked but it got confusing at times even with the map. Lots of bugs/mosquitoes. Nice rock wall, lots of different mushrooms, frogs, and salamanders.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

pretty, buggy, waterfall dry

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It was a nice trail. Seems like every other trail marker was a different color but we just did what made sense and didn't have any trouble. If you follow the red trail back to the road go right back to the parking lot

Thursday, May 19, 2016

good

Thursday, April 28, 2016

This is a fun trail but VERY buggy!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

I took my 83 year old mother and grandson here. The parking lot is on one side of the road but the creek and the falls are on the other side. Follow the trail. The falls are great. Only probl was at one point we expected a bridge but no bridge to cross back over the creek.