Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail

Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,103 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Great winter conditions. Snow was packed on the trail. Occasional ice made things interesting. Great day!

icy

Incredible hike. First time in the Catskills and couldn't have asked for a more rewarding day hike. We only went to Wittenberg and back which was almost 8 miles. Caution tho! As of 11/23/19 it was incredibly icy and precarious the last mile to Wittenberg. We had our two very active shepherd dogs who were champs on the icy rock scrambles. But be prepared and watch your step! The Wittenberg peak view is certainly worth it.

Best hike we done in Catskills , but hard. Lot of scrambling but well worth it. View at Wittenberg outstanding , Cornell not so much. Took us (me and wife), about 5 1/2 hours, including 30 min break for lunch .

Great hike. Round trip was 5.5 hours, which included an hour at the Wittenberg summit. Had my 70 lb German Shepherd with me, had to lift her up and down at a couple spots. A rock face on Cornell was impossible to get her back down alone, but thankfully we found herd path on the side that went around.

One of the hardest and best hikes I ever done

Mid 40’s temp, hazy down, sunny on top. Amazing view from the top, over the clouds in the valley. Some mud. Perfect conditions. Trail is well marked, with a good mix of moderate and technical sections. Well worth making it to the end!

The view is stunning and the scrambling proper hard. The hardest trail I’ve done on the east coast so far. I walked and ran it in 3h10min and was shot at the end from not bringing enough food. Not in the best shape of my life but athletic. I would recommend this for experienced and healthy people but most people could do it with time on their side.

Fun trail. Great views.

Wittenberg is the best summit view I’ve seen in the Catskills. Steep scramble up to Cornell. ~6 hours RT.

SUCH a good hike all the way up and back. Starts off with a steeper climb for less than a mile but levels out for the next 2ish miles that are pretty easy. The scramble at the top is quite the climb but SO SO FUN. I used knee braces for the way down and trekking poles would have been helpful because it’s pretty rocky. If you’re just trying to get the view, stop at the Wittenberg summit because it is by far the better of the two. If you’re loving just a little more scramble or want more milage, hike the next mile(ish) to the Cornell summit. You have to go up through the crack to get to Cornell but it’s totally doable (maybe a little scary for some). I was only able to get my 2 athletic dogs through it with help from strangers both ways. But they loved it.