Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail

Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Views at summit are worth the effort. The trip to Cornell was challenging but fun. Makes for a long trek back to trailhead.

Wonderful somewhat challenging hike... for all the work you will be rewarded with one of the best views from a summit in all of the Catskills!! Follow the red blazes...there is no "summit view" from Cornell but you can find some areas with a view right off the trail. Also added a trip to Terrace Mountain at the end of my journey. One of my favorite hikes in the Catskills!!

Hey! Great hike, from parkinglot head south threw campground about 50-100 ft to river, cross at the bridge and follow the RED marker, difficult but not the hardest out there, great for moderate to advanced hikers, with great views at the top and a nice journey to Cornell. with a scetchy but do-able crevise climb about 8ft, up no problem but take your time coming down. at certain points to Wittenburg could look like a trail but is not, make sure to follow the RED marker! have a great time and enjoy!

Difficult hike with an amazing view on the top of Wittenberg Mountain. Lots of mosquitoes, would recommend taking a repellent. Not for kids, not for anyone with a knees problems. Be prepaired to climb with use of hands and gain 2500ft in 3.5mi. Took us 2hr to get to the top and 1:40 to get back. The view on the top is definitely worth all the struggles. Well marked trail.

Finally a hike in the Catskills that reminded me of great hiking up North in the ADKS. Nice elevation gain right out of the gate, some scrambling, water, muds, roots, rocks and trees!!! Glad to get 2 peaks in. I guess this hike could be called hard. Good way to spend half a day in the mountains.

I did the entire Borough's Range hike several years ago, but just did the Wittenberg summit and back down with my son. From Woodland Valley parking to the summit and back it took us 3 1/2 hours and that's including taking some time for the views and food at the top. I love this hike, just north of 3200 feet the entire ecosystem changes, temps cool, and you're surrounded by pines and birches, the climb also gets quite steep and technical.

On the way down my legs were jelly no doubt, my son had work so we had to really grind it out, and nearing 40 I was feeling it the next day.

One of the hardest parts of the hike was finding the foot bridge, my son and I walked around like fools for quite a bit before finding it. I also get a kick out of seeing everyone's face on the way down asking how far the summit is, you know all they want to hear is "it's right around the corner", someone asked us about 400 feet past the registration station on the trail how far the summit is. I couldn't lie to them since they already seemed gas, I told them it's really really far.

There were a few points where I had to explore around a couple different directions to spot the next red blaze. But that's part of the fun. :-) Some of the rock scramble tickled my fear of heights, but it wasn't too bad.