Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail

Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this back in March before the springtime thaw. Getting closer to the summit was extremely challenging as ice and snow came into view. Beautiful view at the summit.

Beautiful view from the top! Definitely intense but doable

the directions to the trail head lead you to giant ledge and panther mt summit not cornell and wottenburg,

A very tough mountain to hike. An elevation onslaught as soon as you cross over the bridge. Descending is hell on he knees. Actually started cramping up on the descent. Only did Wittenberg this go around. Cooled out at the summit for about 45 minutes getting my mind ready for the return. Next time I soldier on to Cornell and Slide.

Tough scrambling and strenuous, don't take young kids and don't take a dog unless you can help lift him up the scrambles. Take about 3 liters of water per person, no water sources. That being said, it's gorgeous and the scrambling is fun if you are in shape enough.

World class view at the top of Wittenberg. Solid day hike...if you can backpack it and hit multiple summits. Steep rock scrambles but a lot of fun. My favorite Catskill hike.

Was able to make it to Slide as well for a day hike reaching all 3 peaks in about 10 hours with breaks, 14+ miles. Lots of rock scrambling, very fun and strenuous hike. Saw a bear after we got back in the car just after trailhead!

Awesome, challenging both mentally and physically. I have exercise enduced asthma &I'm training my lungs so I forced myself to not use it..I paced myself and did it with my boyfriend. But there were a few points my lungs were on fired. I'm an experiment hiker but the Catskills are no joke ! I recommend enough time starting atleast around 7..8A and 5 hours and bring enough water and food is a must for fuel. Pbj, granola bars and banana !

It was a great hike to say the least. It was a very nice ascent right off the bat with the first two miles climbing around 700 feet. If you plan on traveling the entire trail leave yourself enough time because it's a total of 8.3 from beginning to end.

Great hike with amazing views at the peak. Be prepared to climb up several sections of rocks when you get near the top, but totally worth it.

Fun and challenging. Made it to Wittenberg and back down in just over 4 hours and I'm pretty out of shape at the moment. Very steep to begin, levels out to steady climb, fun toward the end with a bit of climbing up rocks (challenging but does not require any previous skill)

Did this as a 2-day loop with Slide Mountain. Parked at Woodland Valley Campground but headed counterclockwise- passed Giant Ledge trailhead, parking area, and walked up 47 to the Slide Mt parking area (the road walk was a bummer but not too long and passed a nice lake). Headed up Slide- a couple good views on the way but nothing at the summit. Continued down toward Cornell and camped at the primitive site marked on the NYNJT maps. (Note: lots of other campsites between Cornell and Slide!) Next day started early and hit Cornell and Wittenberg- was lovely to have a long morning break on Wittenberg's peak, which we had all to ourselves. Heading down Cornell and Slide were a little tricky with packs on- several times the scrambles were steep enough that we needed to pass bags down by hand instead of wear them. However, doing the loop counterclockwise meant far fewer scrambles climbing up, which we were okay with! Would recommend doing as a loop to get the early and quiet Wittenberg experience.

Views at summit are worth the effort. The trip to Cornell was challenging but fun. Makes for a long trek back to trailhead.

Wonderful somewhat challenging hike... for all the work you will be rewarded with one of the best views from a summit in all of the Catskills!! Follow the red blazes...there is no "summit view" from Cornell but you can find some areas with a view right off the trail. Also added a trip to Terrace Mountain at the end of my journey. One of my favorite hikes in the Catskills!!

Hey! Great hike, from parkinglot head south threw campground about 50-100 ft to river, cross at the bridge and follow the RED marker, difficult but not the hardest out there, great for moderate to advanced hikers, with great views at the top and a nice journey to Cornell. with a scetchy but do-able crevise climb about 8ft, up no problem but take your time coming down. at certain points to Wittenburg could look like a trail but is not, make sure to follow the RED marker! have a great time and enjoy!

Difficult hike with an amazing view on the top of Wittenberg Mountain. Lots of mosquitoes, would recommend taking a repellent. Not for kids, not for anyone with a knees problems. Be prepaired to climb with use of hands and gain 2500ft in 3.5mi. Took us 2hr to get to the top and 1:40 to get back. The view on the top is definitely worth all the struggles. Well marked trail.

Finally a hike in the Catskills that reminded me of great hiking up North in the ADKS. Nice elevation gain right out of the gate, some scrambling, water, muds, roots, rocks and trees!!! Glad to get 2 peaks in. I guess this hike could be called hard. Good way to spend half a day in the mountains.

I did the entire Borough's Range hike several years ago, but just did the Wittenberg summit and back down with my son. From Woodland Valley parking to the summit and back it took us 3 1/2 hours and that's including taking some time for the views and food at the top. I love this hike, just north of 3200 feet the entire ecosystem changes, temps cool, and you're surrounded by pines and birches, the climb also gets quite steep and technical.

On the way down my legs were jelly no doubt, my son had work so we had to really grind it out, and nearing 40 I was feeling it the next day.

One of the hardest parts of the hike was finding the foot bridge, my son and I walked around like fools for quite a bit before finding it. I also get a kick out of seeing everyone's face on the way down asking how far the summit is, you know all they want to hear is "it's right around the corner", someone asked us about 400 feet past the registration station on the trail how far the summit is. I couldn't lie to them since they already seemed gas, I told them it's really really far.

There were a few points where I had to explore around a couple different directions to spot the next red blaze. But that's part of the fun. :-) Some of the rock scramble tickled my fear of heights, but it wasn't too bad.

Wittenberg has the best summit view in the Catskills. As more people are drawn to it with apps like this one, it seems to collect more garbage as years go by.