Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail

Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

1 hour ago

I did the entire Borough's Range hike several years ago, but just did the Wittenberg summit and back down with my son. From Woodland Valley parking to the summit and back it took us 3 1/2 hours and that's including taking some time for the views and food at the top. I love this hike, just north of 3200 feet the entire ecosystem changes, temps cool, and you're surrounded by pines and birches, the climb also gets quite steep and technical.

On the way down my legs were jelly no doubt, my son had work so we had to really grind it out, and nearing 40 I was feeling it the next day.

One of the hardest parts of the hike was finding the foot bridge, my son and I walked around like fools for quite a bit before finding it. I also get a kick out of seeing everyone's face on the way down asking how far the summit is, you know all they want to hear is "it's right around the corner", someone asked us about 400 feet past the registration station on the trail how far the summit is. I couldn't lie to them since they already seemed gas, I told them it's really really far.

There were a few points where I had to explore around a couple different directions to spot the next red blaze. But that's part of the fun. :-) Some of the rock scramble tickled my fear of heights, but it wasn't too bad.

Rugged trail but well maintained. A lot of scrambling - it gets technical at times, especially the famed "Cornell Crack." Best summit view in the Catskills.

Great hike! Little muddy but perfect temps.

Amazing!!! Very challenging but worth every step!!! Would do it again in a heart beat.

Incredibly fun hike with challenging up-hill sections! We did it in April with icy conditions for most of the second half of the trail and a lot of the route between Wittenberg & Cornell. Took us about 5 hours out and back due to ice and broken spikes!

Wonderful hike! Challenging uphill trek early in the hike. It evens out for a large chunk in the middle, then becomes challenging again when approaching the top. There are a few spots near the top where you will have to use your hands to climb. I went in April, thinking it would be spring weather and was surprised to find I was ice climbing in Capri yoga pants and Nike sneakers. Rookie mistake. If it isn't summer, WEAR BOOTS AND LONG PANTS. Regardless, it was a really fun hike and the icy trek made it even more enjoyable. Views are incredible and worth the long uphill hike.

Loved this hike

Awesome hike, a little difficult throughout, but the top is very rewarding. I would certainly go again.

This mountain ain't no joke people. Straight up the entire way, no switchbacks and very few moments of relief. This trail is definitely for experienced hikers only. Giving it 3 stars just because of the difficulty. Took us 10 hours to complete. We went yesterday (January 2017) so if you're doing this hike in the winter microspikes are a MUST. We wouldn't have been able to complete it without them. LOTS of ice. The trail was gorgeous, especially towards the top, but it snowed the entire time and therefore obstructed our view at the summit. But the pines covered in snow and ice made up for it. So in summary, beautiful but not for the faint of heart.

This was actually my very first time hiking a mountain. My boyfriend is an outdoors guy and I'm getting into these activities now. Let me tell you that it was hard but I did it! I'm terrified of heights (there were only two areas where it was steep and we had to climb rocks) and this was a mental a physical challenge for me but I'm proud to say that I did it. Thanks to my boyfriend's support also! I'm glad I started my first adventure on a trail classified as "hard". This trail is awesome, it's a hard hike, lots of rocks at some points but very rewarding when you get to the top of the mountain. Beautiful view!