Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail

Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A very tough mountain to hike. An elevation onslaught as soon as you cross over the bridge. Descending is hell on he knees. Actually started cramping up on the descent. Only did Wittenberg this go around. Cooled out at the summit for about 45 minutes getting my mind ready for the return. Next time I soldier on to Cornell and Slide.

Tough scrambling and strenuous, don't take young kids and don't take a dog unless you can help lift him up the scrambles. Take about 3 liters of water per person, no water sources. That being said, it's gorgeous and the scrambling is fun if you are in shape enough.

World class view at the top of Wittenberg. Solid day hike...if you can backpack it and hit multiple summits. Steep rock scrambles but a lot of fun. My favorite Catskill hike.

Was able to make it to Slide as well for a day hike reaching all 3 peaks in about 10 hours with breaks, 14+ miles. Lots of rock scrambling, very fun and strenuous hike. Saw a bear after we got back in the car just after trailhead!

Awesome, challenging both mentally and physically. I have exercise enduced asthma &I'm training my lungs so I forced myself to not use it..I paced myself and did it with my boyfriend. But there were a few points my lungs were on fired. I'm an experiment hiker but the Catskills are no joke ! I recommend enough time starting atleast around 7..8A and 5 hours and bring enough water and food is a must for fuel. Pbj, granola bars and banana !

It was a great hike to say the least. It was a very nice ascent right off the bat with the first two miles climbing around 700 feet. If you plan on traveling the entire trail leave yourself enough time because it's a total of 8.3 from beginning to end.

Great hike with amazing views at the peak. Be prepared to climb up several sections of rocks when you get near the top, but totally worth it.

Fun and challenging. Made it to Wittenberg and back down in just over 4 hours and I'm pretty out of shape at the moment. Very steep to begin, levels out to steady climb, fun toward the end with a bit of climbing up rocks (challenging but does not require any previous skill)

Did this as a 2-day loop with Slide Mountain. Parked at Woodland Valley Campground but headed counterclockwise- passed Giant Ledge trailhead, parking area, and walked up 47 to the Slide Mt parking area (the road walk was a bummer but not too long and passed a nice lake). Headed up Slide- a couple good views on the way but nothing at the summit. Continued down toward Cornell and camped at the primitive site marked on the NYNJT maps. (Note: lots of other campsites between Cornell and Slide!) Next day started early and hit Cornell and Wittenberg- was lovely to have a long morning break on Wittenberg's peak, which we had all to ourselves. Heading down Cornell and Slide were a little tricky with packs on- several times the scrambles were steep enough that we needed to pass bags down by hand instead of wear them. However, doing the loop counterclockwise meant far fewer scrambles climbing up, which we were okay with! Would recommend doing as a loop to get the early and quiet Wittenberg experience.

Views at summit are worth the effort. The trip to Cornell was challenging but fun. Makes for a long trek back to trailhead.

Wonderful somewhat challenging hike... for all the work you will be rewarded with one of the best views from a summit in all of the Catskills!! Follow the red blazes...there is no "summit view" from Cornell but you can find some areas with a view right off the trail. Also added a trip to Terrace Mountain at the end of my journey. One of my favorite hikes in the Catskills!!