This is one of the easier 3500 mountains, so I'm not sure why it's rated 'hard'. In fact, this was the very first 3500 my wife and I attempted when we took up hiking . We're in our 50s and, at the time, were in pretty poor physical shape. Yes, there are some steep sections where you'll need to scramble and grab hold of trees or roots, but overall this is not a difficult hike. (Difficult or, more like it, exhausting would be the Table/Peekamoose mountains hike; we wobbled back to the car for the last mile or so that day.)

We hiked Windham on a cool October day and the foliage was just beautiful. There's no cannister on this hike. You'll find the summit fairly easily as it is right in the middle of the trail and you can practically trip over it. There are some nice views at the summit. Facing north, you'll be able to make out the Adirondacks on a clear day. Beware that the short steep sections may be too difficult for dogs to navigate without help.

Near the beginning of the hike is a set of new trails around some old cranberry bogs. Make sure you have the newest Catskill trail maps from the NY/NJ Trail Conference so you can take those as well if you want to lengthen the hike.