Whittaker Falls Trail

Whittaker Falls Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lowville, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This can be fairly steep to get down with small children. You can go further down, along some flat rock, but the trail ends and there is a steep drop off/no railing and another set of falls. There are two access points to get to the falls - one being a sign that points to a foot path, steep, scrabbly, and no railings that leads to the rocks, but another access point actually has a path, steps, and railings further up from the main waterfalls.

Great hike. We did this in October and we're the only ones in the park. We walked upstream to the headwaters and followed the riverbank. Greeted by curious chickadees and gurgling water, it was a perfect day hike. The falls were really moving from the recent rainfall and we'd like to return in later summer to see the falls up close when the flow has subsided. Bring your camera. The vista of the Tug Hill region from the park's open field is beautiful!!

Me, my son and my 6 year old daughter were here last year. It's a bit out of the way, but definitely worth the search.

We were here during a drought so the water was quite low, but still flowing decently. There's no railings and to get to the lower falls, you have to scramble over the rocks. It's really not that bad... my 6 year old did it with me, but I wouldn't recommend for kids much younger.

The main falls are not very big, but they are shaped nicely. You can stand on either side of the falls since there's no designated path. You can also get right next to the water from the bottom as well. There is also a lower falls that is maybe 20 feet tall and the only way beyond that point is to climb down rocks and brush. Not too much to hold on to at that point anyway. This was our stopping point.

Overall, this is a very nice and fairly secluded spot that's not overwhelmingly busy. We were there in June and only saw a handful of other people. I'm not sure how high the water gets, but we had plenty of flat rock to walk along. Also, once yo get to the stream from the parking area, the falls are to the left. We went the wrong way when we were there and had to backtrack because there are no signs.

Beautiful hidden gem. In either direction there are falls... we ventured to the furthest one down, passed the middle falls twice, then decided to backtrack and go up past the TH (stairs/railings) and were greeted by other little falls... it was pretty quiet. There is camping at the park (it's Trust maintained, not State owned) for fairly cheap.. I believe it was $8 for tent? Nice little park. We will be back to camp in the future. :)